New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-04-28 22:03:33

Chazbro38

Re: An operator-free reactor for Space - RAPID (Refueling by All Pins Integrated Design)

The implementation of a supersafe, supercompact lithium-cooled fast reactor which features fully automated reactor operation.
A reactor with a fully automated operational capability from startup to shutdown in order to ensure extremely high safety by eliminating human errors. The new design does not use control rods. Instead, it employs newly developed systems such as the Lithium Expansion Module (LEM) for the control of reactors by utilizing the thermal expansion of liquid lithium 6, which is a neutron absorber, a Lithium Injection Module (LIM) for shutting down the reactor and a Lithium Release Module (LRM) for starting it up.

For the high-performance thermoelectric energy conversion system with a twice or better performance than previous systems, which will be adopted as the power conversion system, an op- erational test has been conducted under the temperature condition of 1,000¡ëC.
With a thermal power of 5,000 kW and electric power of 200 kW, the output of this reactor is much smaller than large power-generating reactors. However, it has a very compact size and the very low total weight of 7.6 tons and it is capable of continual operation without refueling for ten years. Potential uses for RAPID-L are in power plants in urban areas of industrialized nations to relieve the peak load, and for developing countries where remote regions cannot be conveniently connected to the main grid and where it is economical to provide local generation capacity.
Also this reactor can be applied as a power source for lunar base where neither air nor water is available and maintenance by astronauts would be difficult. The 200-kW(electric) uranium-nitride-fueled lithium-cooled fast reactor concept "RAPID-L" to achieve highly automated reactor operation has been demonstrated. RAPID-L is designed for a lunar base power system. It is one of the variants of the RAPID (Refueling by All Pins Integrated Design) fast reactor concept, which enables quick and simplified refueling. The essential feature of the RAPID concept is that the reactor core consists of an integrated fuel assembly instead of conventional fuel subassemblies. In this small-size reactor core, 2700 fuel pins are integrated and encased in a fuel cartridge. Refueling is conducted by replacing a fuel cartridge. The reactor can be operated without refueling for up to 10 yr.

Unique challenges in reactivity control systems design have been addressed in the RAPID-L concept. The reactor has no control rod but involves the following innovative reactivity control systems: lithium expansion modules (LEM) for inherent reactivity feedback, lithium injection modules (LIM) for inherent ultimate shutdown, and lithium release modules (LRM) for automated reactor startup. All these systems adopt 6Li as a liquid poison instead of B4C rods. In combination with LEMs, LIMs, and LRMs, RAPID-L can be operated without an operator.

#2 2005-04-29 05:42:27

GCNRevenger

Re: An operator-free reactor for Space - RAPID (Refueling by All Pins Integrated Design)

Sounds pretty good, I am glad someone is still considering thermoelectric conversion, which would be preferred when shielding mass isn't at a premium.

However, the efficency they cite is pretty low. They should be able to do better before comitting to development.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2005-04-30 18:14:36

Commodore

A reactor with a fully automated operational capability from startup to shutdown in order to ensure extremely high safety by eliminating human errors.

To er is human. To really screw things up, you need a computer.  big_smile

Joking aside, it looks impressive. Although I'm not sure how they intend to resupply on on the lunar surface.

Also, I'm a little nervous about anything not water cooled, having heard a lot about early Soviet sub reactors.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

Board footer