New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-03-03 07:30:05

Palomar

Re: Snails In Spaaaaaaaace!

http://www.spacedaily.com/2005/05030304 … html]Click

*50 of the little critters have recently arrived at the ISS.  The lucky "volunteers" will be part of a weightlessness experiment.  They'll return to Earth in April, with the current crew.

Hopefully the ISS crew won't make "escargots" out of them (apparently some crewmembers in other crews have had -- shall we say -- HEALTHY appetites).  If there's butter and shallots aboard, the critters might end up as part of a gastronomical experiment.   :;):

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-03-03 12:34:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

Was concern that they might freeze before getting them into the experiment process. I had previous mentioned the snails in another thread when I was looking for other plants that would be research for growth on the ISS.

Now are these the type that only like to be moist or are they the kind that must stay in water all the time?

#3 2005-03-03 12:43:46

Palomar

Was concern that they might freeze before getting them into the experiment process.

*Really?  Hmmmmm.  That wouldn't be good.  :-\

I had previous mentioned the snails in another thread when I was looking for other plants that would be research for growth on the ISS.

Now that you mention it, SpaceNut, I do seem to recall your having mentioned snails elsewhere (food-related thread?).  As it's a new article, I didn't think to Search for previous mentions of snails -- and didn't recall your having brought the subject up.  Otherwise, I would have posted this in your thread.

Now are these the type that only like to be moist or are they the kind that must stay in water all the time?

Don't know.  smile  Not much specifics in the article, unfortunately...and I'm not terribly knowledgeable about snails to begin with (other than that I don't ever want to eat one, ugh).  Teehee.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2005-03-03 12:57:44

John Creighton
Website

Cindy you are making me hungry. smile

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#5 2005-03-03 13:05:08

Palomar

Cindy you are making me hungry. smile

*Hi John.  So you like escargots?  Or was it the mention of cooking something in butter with shallots which made you hungry?   :;):  For me, the latter is possible.

--Cindy

#6 2005-03-03 13:41:27

Commodore

You enjoyed that title way to much.  big_smile

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#7 2005-03-03 13:52:50

SpaceNut
Administrator

I see no problem with another thread since it would not be a food but rather a session in wieghtlessness science investigation and maybe of genetics or birth in space if they are allowed to live long enough.

#8 2005-03-03 13:54:37

Palomar

You enjoyed that title way to much.  big_smile

*Yeah, you're right.   :;):  Guess I watched too much of The Muppet Show as a kid, with the "Pigs in Space!" skits.  And of course the "announcer" held onto the "a" for a while.

Also, the notion of snails in space is, well, CUTE in a way.  *g*

--Cindy

::EDIT:: 

SpaceNut:  I see no problem with another thread since it would not be a food but rather a session in wieghtlessness science investigation and maybe of genetics or birth in space if they are allowed to live long enough.

True, and I see your point.  I just wanted to let you know I wasn't disregarding your other thread.  smile  There's so much going on and to keep track of, etc., it simply slipped my mind.  But yes, the context is different.

#9 2005-03-03 13:57:06

Cobra Commander

Also, the notion of snails in space is, well, CUTE in a way.  *g*

Small, slimy invertabrates and zero gravity don't mix well.

Might end up eating them involuntarily.  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#10 2005-03-03 14:29:52

Grypd

I actually looked at the title to this thread and thought it refered to NASA.

But snails honestly the idea of eating them eccchhhhh. Give me a deep fried mars bar any day at least that is regular food big_smile

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#11 2005-03-03 14:39:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

Surfing for snails found what type in this article Snails break working schedule of ISS crew and why they are so sensitive to the cold.
The snails are for a medico-biological experiment as the article indicates.

“Grape snails cannot live long under temperatures lower than 20 degrees Centigrade. The two days of the flight in the pressurized section of the ferry even at the temperature of 17 degrees is a serious test for them,” the expert noted. According to Blagov, it is more comfortable at the station. The temperature there is plus 23-25 degrees.

From this one we get what the experiment on the 50 SNAILS which ARRIVE AT ISS

The snails will be involved in the experiments to study the organs of equilibrium to let scientists better understand the functioning of the human vestibular apparatus in the outer space, official spokesman for the Institute of Medical and Biological Problems Mark Belakovsky told RIA Novosti. There are no serious differences between the organs of equilibrium of snails and men.

Other simular experiments will follow in a "Russian Foton M-2 spacecraft will be launched in May 2005. It will carry a special container with 6-10 Cuban crayfish, some geckos, Spanish tritons and microorganisms. They are to spend 16 days in the outer space."

#12 2005-03-04 14:47:49

Palomar

Surfing for snails found whaty type in this article http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.htm … PageNum=0] Snails break working schedule of ISS crew and why they are so sensitive to the cold.
The snails are for a medico-biological experiment as the article indicates.

“Grape snails cannot live long under temperatures lower than 20 degrees Centigrade. The two days of the flight in the pressurized section of the ferry even at the temperature of 17 degrees is a serious test for them,” the expert noted. According to Blagov, it is more comfortable at the station. The temperature there is plus 23-25 degrees.

*Wow, that serious huh?  Break the ISS crew's schedule...that's an understatement.

They had to open those hatches ASAP, in order to save the snails. 

“It’s impossible to delay the work till Thursday morning, since the craft brings 50 live snails which should be brought aboard the station as soon as possible, otherwise they will not survive,” he explained

--Cindy

#13 2005-03-04 15:40:06

John Creighton
Website

Hi John.  So you like escargots?  Or was it the mention of cooking something in butter with shallots which made you hungry?     For me, the latter is possible.

Escargot is delicious. At a normal restaurant I like it slightly better then stuffed mushroom caps. At an extraordinary restaurant they are much better. As for cooking with butter, while butter on its own doesn’t sound appealing and I don’t know what shallots are.

But snails honestly the idea of eating them eccchhhhh. Give me a deep fried mars bar any day at least that is regular food

Don’t nock it until you try it Gyrpd, and if you are not sure you are going to like it try it at a really good restaurant first. I think my dad had some from a frozen food company and they weren’t that good but on a cruse I went on they were absolutely amazing. A restaurant in my home town does a fairly good job at making them to. What else do you eat, seafood, stuffed mushroom caps, etc. Deep fried Mars Bars? You sound like a junk food nut.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#14 2005-03-04 16:07:58

Grypd

As for cooking with butter, while butter on its own doesn’t sound appealing and I don’t know what shallots are.

Shallots are members of the onion family, but how to cook them you are on your own I could burn a pan of water.

What else do you eat, seafood, stuffed mushroom caps, etc. Deep fried Mars Bars? You sound like a junk food nut.

Depends sea food ie fish etc are good for you there oils are well recomended. Junk food is really something I take on the very rare occurence, 6 nation championship etc. But my only thoughts on Snails is finding ways to have them destroyed before they eat my garden away. A small plastic cup of whisky burried in the ground does for them, they drink and fall in to drown. I honestly do not know of any place in Scotland where they are sold to be eaten.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#15 2005-03-04 16:08:29

Palomar

Hi John.  So you like escargots?  Or was it the mention of cooking something in butter with shallots which made you hungry?     For me, the latter is possible.

Escargot is delicious. At a normal restaurant I like it slightly better then stuffed mushroom caps. At an extraordinary restaurant they are much better. As for cooking with butter, while butter on its own doesn’t sound appealing and I don’t know what shallots are.

But snails honestly the idea of eating them eccchhhhh. Give me a deep fried mars bar any day at least that is regular food

Don’t nock it until you try it Gyrpd, and if you are not sure you are going to like it try it at a really good restaurant first. I think my dad had some from a frozen food company and they weren’t that good but on a cruse I went on they were absolutely amazing. A restaurant in my home town does a fairly good job at making them to. What else do you eat, seafood, stuffed mushroom caps, etc. Deep fried Mars Bars? You sound like a junk food nut.

*Hi John:

http://www.shallots.com]Shallots

I think I've only used them twice in my cooking.

John, what is the texture of escargot?  You like mushrooms apparently; I don't care for mushrooms (the texture).  Are escargots as you've eaten them crispy or a bit rubbery or firm in texture? 

Ironically, I recently saw 2 packages of escargots for sale in a small mom-and-pop "hometown like" grocery store here in my city:  A plastic tube filled with clean shells (pretty), and a sealed can of the actual snails.  Apparently you drain the snails, rinse them, rinse the shells and then dry them, create a butter and shallot "snail butter", put a dab of that inside a shell, then tuck the snail in, then put more "snail butter" over it.  You prepare all of the shells this way, then pop them into an oven until the "snail butter" is bubbling.  :-\

I was actually tempted to try it.  smile

But I think I'll have to go with Grypd, and opt for the fried candy bar instead.  :hm:

--Cindy

P.S.:  Grypd writes:

A small plastic cup of whisky burried in the ground does for them, they drink and fall in to drown.

Whisky-drinking snails?  :laugh:  I have never heard of that, teehee.  *hic*  *hic*  Plop...{blackout}

#16 2005-04-26 09:11:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

Now on the note of the ISS, the latest crew has arrived and the latter has departed but what did we gain for the last 6 plus month stay from this crew.
They stuggled though a food shortage and had lots of bumps along the way by the oxygen system but they did make it back ok.
They had plant and animal experiments that were returned from the station, hopefully with much success these experiments were run and to which the question that only the station could answer having forfilled this goal. But it was done on a very expensive dime.

Snails head back to earth under cover of night, with ISS astronauts

The snails went into space, not as an appetizer for astronauts. Their mission was to spend more than a month on the ISS as part of series of experiments on weightlessness.
"Three-and-half hours after the Soyuz lands, I will be able to pick up the snails and observe them" after their sojourn in space, Givi Gorgiladze, the researcher in charge of the experiment, told the Itar-Tass news agency.

So it will be a while before we hear of them again if ever.

Board footer