New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-10-15 22:36:02

Earthfirst

Re: Who would you take to Mars? - long ways, who would you want to go with

Which one would you go with, or better yet come up with your own list and give reason why you chose them. It could be any one they all dont have to be smart people or From NASA. Please answer it seems to be a cool poll, every one has a say in it!

I love plants!

#2 2002-10-16 09:47:53

Palomar

Which one would you go with, or better yet come up with your own list and give reason why you chose them. It could be any one they all dont have to be smart people or From NASA. Please answer it seems to be a cool poll, every one has a say in it!

*I would take my husband.  Not only is he cute, adorable, and cuddly...he's also not picky about meals!  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2002-10-16 18:54:35

Shaun Barrett

I'd take my wife, 'cos she's cool !

And I think it would be great to have Chris McKay along to explain points of interest and discuss future terraforming.

And, if by some magic I could beat the Reaper, I'd absolutely love to have Carl Sagan come with us. Nobody would appreciate the trip more than he!
    And I couldn't leave out Pete Conrad, commander of Apollo 12 and my favourite astronaut of all time. Such a wonderful sense of humour and what a supremely capable pilot - and definitely someone you would want around if the chips were down!
                                          smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2002-10-16 19:20:48

Phobos

I wouldn't take anybody because they'd probably start to annoy me with their bitching about how bad it is on Mars and blame me for talking them into it.  I'd rather just go with people who have some sense of what their getting themselves into.  Anyhow it's interesting that Shaun and Cindy would take fellow family members.  I read an interview with a cosmonaut who said that families would make better spacefarers than just throwing a bunch of random people together.  I don't really remember his reasoning though.  It was an old article at the National Geographic website (might still be in the archives somewhere.)  Actually I take back what I said about taking nobody.  I'll take Shaun, I forgot how much he likes accordian music and it's always nice to have a captive audience. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#5 2002-10-16 21:20:31

Shaun Barrett

big_smile   Ha Ha Ha !!!

Actually, Phobos, I heard that musical instruments tend to degrade rather badly in a space environment.
    Apparently they just break in half for no obvious reason!
                                          wink

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2002-10-16 22:34:45

Palomar

I wouldn't take anybody because they'd probably start to annoy me with their bitching about how bad it is on Mars and blame me for talking them into it.

*LOL!!  Phobos, you sound like I often think.  smile

I'd rather go to Mars with family, or at least with rather well known acquaintances and friends, rather than with out-right strangers or casual acquaintances...there can always be VERY unpleasant surprises with the latter.  I found that out the hard way 11 years ago, and hope never to repeat that mistake.  ???

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#7 2002-10-17 16:02:04

Phobos

Actually, Phobos, I heard that musical instruments tend to degrade rather badly in a space environment.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be sure to bring along enough tape and glue to keep the accordion alive and well all the way to Mars.  I'd hate to see you deprived of your beloved accordion music.  big_smile

I'd rather go to Mars with family, or at least with rather well known acquaintances and friends, rather than with out-right strangers or casual acquaintances...there can always be VERY unpleasant surprises with the latter.  I found that out the hard way 11 years ago, and hope never to repeat that mistake.

Yeah, it'd be nice to weed out the control freaks and incessant complainers in advance.  I think one of the reasons that cosmonaut brought up for families being the ideal spacefarers is that they've usually already worked out ways of solving problems when they arise and they don't get into ego battles as bad as a bunch of hotshots.  The cosmonaut seemed to think that over a long enough span of time, the egos of a crew could create a situation ripe for murder.

#8 2002-10-17 16:40:57

Palomar

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be sure to bring along enough tape and glue to keep the accordion alive and well all the way to Mars.  I'd hate to see you deprived of your beloved accordion music.  big_smile

*I'll bring along my trumpet and drum set!!  big_smile  That should make Shaun reeeeallly happy.

--Cindy

#9 2002-10-17 19:00:43

Shaun Barrett

Hmmm.
    I must try to maintain a balanced judgment here.

Accordions, trumpets and drums versus a short 'walk' outside ... without a suit ...

Yeah, I think I'll go for the vacuum of interplanetary space!

sad

Sheeesh! With friends like you guys .... !!         ???

#10 2002-10-29 23:51:42

Phobos

Hmmm.
    I must try to maintain a balanced judgment here.

Accordions, trumpets and drums versus a short 'walk' outside ... without a suit ...

Yeah, I think I'll go for the vacuum of interplanetary space!

sad

Sheeesh! With friends like you guys .... !!         ???

Don't worry Shaun.  I'm sure we'll have learned how to play our instruments on a rudimentary level by time we're halfway to Mars. smile  And you don't want to go into the vaccuum of space without a spacesuit on.  Believe me, you just don't. smile

Board footer