New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-04-09 16:16:10

Palomar

Re: Fastest Optical Shutter

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/materials-05o.html]Might involve Mars some day, in some way?

*This is totally new to me.  :-\  Was going to post it in the Science & Technology folder, but am wondering how/if it has a place in future space exploration endeavors, and specifically Mars.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-04-09 19:51:50

srmeaney

Re: Fastest Optical Shutter

1. Vanadium Oxide looks to be a good way to photograph the sun (and the universe) for energy sources in the terrahertz range.

2. Certainly it offers a good use as a heat reflector for Windows on Mars and the Moon. Not to clear if it functions as a Gas within enclosed volume or as a crystaline/ceramic structure though.

Board footer