New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#101 2005-03-21 18:29:49

dicktice

Re: Apropos of Nothing *4*

Well, not to carry this intergenerational slang further than this post (I've got enough to use in three stories, thanks) but Cindy's the winnah! "Flapper" comes from the action of the hands when dancing the Charleston (a great dance, which deserves to be brought back each generation). "Frail," of course refers to the supposed frailty of your girlfriend. "She's just a dumb dame," was common in the '30's and '40's. "Chick," was in use about then, and still can be heard today in the UK. Slang tends to remain static in Scandinavia, and once in a while a regular word crops up which has the same meaning in modern English slang. The word "kul" which is pronounced very much like "cool" meaning fun, has been around for a hundred years or more, but I remember when "cool" came into use, with the advent of cool jazz. Quite weird, because when "cool" goes out of style, "kul" will remain in the Scandinavian vocabulary.

#102 2005-03-24 06:21:38

Palomar

*Was busy doing something last evening when my husband decided he wanted to watch a new television show on TVLand:  Chasing Farrah.  We're not into reality TV (understatement), but I decided to watch with him.  We both remember what a mega-icon Farrah was in the 1970s especially.  I didn't know she and Ryan O'Neal are still together (or reunited at some point...I don't follow celebrities that much).  They have a very interesting chemistry between them and make a cool pair.   :;):  That Ryan O'Neal is something else:  There's something "familiar" about him, i.e. personality similarities to other folks I've known personally.  He's such a ham ... and I mean that in the best possible way.  And Farrah's not quite the scatter-brain people have tried to make her out to be. 

They say grace before a meal.  Apparently they're Catholic; she said "Father, Son, Holy Spirit" while crossing herself after he said a brief grace.  Interesting.  They prayed "for everyone."

We might watch more episodes.  If so, it'll be a basic "first" as reality TV goes. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#103 2005-03-27 17:44:28

Mad Grad Student
Website

It really is a shame that the Jitterbug went out of fashion. Back in November our school musical was Grease and I had an absolute blast during the dance scenes. The problem is that, even when a great song for jitterbuggin' comes on, nobody knows how to dance to it, it takes longer than five seconds to learn how. It's an important skill, to know how to jitterbug, just in case of an emergency. After all, everyone already knows how to macarana and electric slide, would one more decent dance be so hard to learn?

Then again, this is coming from someone who's idea of nice music consists primarily of disco and video game soundtracks.

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#104 2005-03-30 11:35:06

Palomar

*I'm wanting a picnic.  Have been recalling picnics in childhood, whether family-oriented or (more usually) through my parents' church.  Of course these memories are "sanitized":  There are no ants or mosquitos, nor "picnic bugs" suddenly/unexpectedly showing up in your potato salad or rice.  :laugh:

Big blue sky, not too windy nor humid...sunny...bright-colored tablecloth...plastic Dixie cups, plates, utensils...and all that yummy food.

Playing badminton or kickball afterwards, running to the pond's edge or lake's shore, skipping rocks, playing tag or hide-n-go-seek.

::sigh::

Guess I wouldn't be playing tag or hide-n-go-seek nowadays, but picnic fried chicken, baked ham and all the fixings would be WONDERFUL.  Maybe we'll get some friends collected together and have a picnic soon.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#105 2005-03-30 15:21:47

Trebuchet
Banned

Get yourself one of those little propane camper-stoves, you can do much better than lukewarm potato salad and sandwiches. Slice up some veggies and put them in a baggie, slice up some meat and put them in a different baggie with marinade... mmm, stir-fry. Add some fruit salad kept cold in the cooler and perhaps some cole slaw...

Or are you referring to the kind of picnic where you're at a table in a park with a grill nearby? That's not nearly as fun.

#106 2005-03-30 15:32:08

Palomar

Get yourself one of those little propane camper-stoves

*I'm always afraid those things will explode.  :-\

Slice up some veggies and put them in a baggie, slice up some meat and put them in a different baggie with marinade... mmm, stir-fry. Add some fruit salad kept cold in the cooler and perhaps some cole slaw...

Sounds good. 

Or are you referring to the kind of picnic where you're at a table in a park with a grill nearby? That's not nearly as fun.

Along those lines, although I was thinking more of a big quilt on the grass and a traditional picnic basket lined with red-white checked cloth.  :;):  Cold fried chicken with a bit of salt sprinkled on for starters...

--Cindy

#107 2005-04-02 07:34:29

Palomar

*Bringing this over from "Political Potpourri" thread:

Dicktice:  Okay, just how many of these 4 or 5 alcoholic beverages do you put away a year.

Um...just 4 or 5.  :laugh:

I pretty much stick to single malt Scotch. I don't advise you to mix your beverages, Cindy, best to stick to only one at a sitting, girl. Cheers.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way (don't mix mixed drinks) one evening a few years ago, when my husband and I had a rare trip to a nice bar here in town.  Vodka is my alcohol of choice.  Little to no aftertaste and so blends in well with orange juice or whatever, is mood-lifting, etc.  I tried whisky once (Jack Daniels).  No thank you.  Nasty, villainous stuff; sent me on a major downer.  Basically I don't care much for liquor (or beer or wine)...food is my vice, particularly sweets.  tongue  Teehee.

-*-

On a different note:  Daylight Savings Time starts tomorrow, yay!  More sunshine in the late afternoon and into early evening.  And as many trees in my area have fully leafed out, it's the first glimmer of Summer. 

-*-

I've noticed for a long time that it gets noticeably colder just prior to sunrise in this area.  I'll start work at 4:30 a.m., the temperature is the same...until just about 15 minutes prior to sunrise, when the temperature drops perhaps 5 degrees.  Can't help thinking it has something to do with the tall mountains to the east and some sort of shadowing effect onto the valley below.  :hm:

--Cindy

#108 2005-04-02 13:34:24

Mad Grad Student
Website

http://epage.pvusd.k12.az.us/nchsweb/Fi … ml]Science Bowl 2005

My physics teacher is a funny guy. Well, the pics from Science Bowl are finally up, but the individual photos don't seem to have URLs (don't ask me how. I am completely lost on nearly all matters electronic). So, instead the link above is to the page with all the Science Bowl pics, click them of course to see the full size (just like always).

Let's see, there are probably a couple of things I should mention. In IMG 0091 I am second from the right. The other three nerds you see there are seniors, so they won't be around next year. In IMG 0105 you can see another shot of the A Team in action, this time yours truly is second from the left lovingly holding a Diet Dr. Pepper. That stuff's good! IMG 0115 is a pretty nice group shot of all three teams.

Most of the other teams just wore their regulation nerdy street clothes. Slackers. We were quite intimidating, even more so while wiping the floor with all who dared to oppose us in the hallowed arena of arcane science trivia. Go men (and women) in black! big_smile

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#109 2005-04-02 17:09:20

Grypd

so I have to ask where has time gone...

I have just been to a wedding where the Bride was once a bouncy 4 year old and now is 20... It scares me

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#110 2005-04-02 18:54:54

dicktice

My grand neice was only a few weeks old when I held her (scared rigid) and then they moved away. I never saw her since ... and now she's married and having a baby I'll never know either. Time's toll. Sign of the times. But wait: There's email, that's come into being since the "information hiway" days, that's evolved since then. Life can be beautiful again, without all that "family reunion" travelling tradition. Sorry, got carried away.

#111 2005-04-02 19:03:59

Palomar

so I have to ask where has time gone...

I have just been to a wedding where the Bride was once a bouncy 4 year old and now is 20... It scares me

*Yeah, I know that feeling.  A good friend from back home was, "just a few years ago," pulling into my parents' driveway with her driver's license, honking the horn and inviting me to go for a ride to celebrate her new-found freedom.  Sweet 16.

In a few days' time she will be a grandmotheryikes 

Granted, her eldest son got news of his fatherhood at the tender age of 17...BUT STILL!  sad

--Cindy

P.S.:  Also distinctly recall the 40th birthdays of both my mother (65 now) and aunt (67).  And 40 isn't that far off for me now.  <FROWN>  (Don't read this, dicktice...I'll get no sympathy from you, I am sure   :;): )

#112 2005-04-03 11:12:45

Josh Cryer

Yeah, time is passing excruciatingly fast, I hear that... cannot believe it is April already. sad

Just passing through.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#113 2005-04-03 14:50:56

dicktice

Oh, I'm counting down now, you know ... In about 10 years, doll, look out.

#114 2005-04-04 15:12:49

Palomar

*I just found a web site for free emoticons.  Awww...they have such cute holiday emoticons and that's still 8 months away -- I can't wait. 

00000025.gif

00000016.gif

00000028.gif

00000022.gif

00000059.gif

Let's see if they work...

...(coming back)...yep.  Wow, how nice.  If only I'd found that web site 4 months ago!  sad

--Cindy

#115 2005-04-04 15:41:05

Grypd

You scare me Cindy, especially right now.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#116 2005-04-06 06:30:14

Cobra Commander

Seems we've got a little incident brewing here, cops are on their way. So far nothing's happened but I'm preparing some cover just in case the threat shows up. I may have brought a knife to a gunfight this morning.  :hm:

Ah well, wouldn't be the first time. Par for the course this month.

And yes, I'm totally serious.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#117 2005-04-06 07:05:21

clark

Disgruntled employee or pissed off consumer?

#118 2005-04-06 07:09:14

Cobra Commander

Disgruntled employee.

Are there any gruntled employees?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#119 2005-04-06 07:13:41

clark

Yes, they are the ones doing a half-ass job.

#120 2005-04-06 07:18:15

Cobra Commander

So... 90% of the American workforce.

#121 2005-04-06 07:24:56

clark

Sound about right... razors edge between dis and not. Question, do usualy bring a knife to work?

#122 2005-04-06 07:33:06

Cobra Commander

I usually carry a knife everywhere. Not so much for use as a weapon but a tool, opening boxes, makesift screwdriver, that sort of thing.

There's lots of gruntling going on in here.

#123 2005-04-06 07:37:10

clark

There's lots of gruntling going on in here.

I always suspected you worked as a phone sex operator.

#124 2005-04-06 07:42:39

Cobra Commander

:laugh:

And a half-assed job at that!  :laugh:

#125 2005-04-06 07:47:32

clark

Now, now...

I'm sure the S&M contingent find your diatribe's about world domination riviting. All uniformy and laced up jack booted. Grrrr.

Board footer