New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-04-01 23:34:04

LtlPhysics
Banned

Re: Prayers for the Pope

What could they possibly mean? He's lived beyond design specifications and had a very rich life. He has traveled the earth, never compromising his conservative beliefs and is still loved by millions of lesser mortals. If he isn't at peace with his God now, he never will be. Are the prayers an attempt to resuscitate his failing health and make him well, until the next crisis arrives?  Are they intended to deliver his soul from the fires of Hell or Purgatory? Are they fond farewells?

Just now, on MSNBC, someone in authority suggested that people should "intensify" their prayers, because normal prayers are not having an impact. Prayers are notoriously unreliable, but if you feel the need, pray for the survival of Western Civilization.

#2 2005-04-02 14:23:08

RobS
Banned
Website

Well, now he has passed, so the prayers are for his transition to the next world, I suppose.

-- RobS

#3 2005-04-03 22:36:36

BWhite

Conservative beliefs? Okay about gays and abortion Pope John Paul II was perhaps conservative however I believe Juan Cole is spot on with this:

John Paul II was often an inconvenient man, whose moral vision would be upsetting to the US Republican establishment if it were taken seriously. He opposed the death penalty, to which George W. Bush is so attached. He opposed the Iraq War. He condemned laissez-faire capitalism and cared about the exploitation of workers, who he felt should have a dignity that is seldom bestowed upon them by the Walmarts and other firms in the US. And he cared about the rights and welfare of the Palestinian people in a way that virtually no one in the American political establishment does. He symbolically blessed the Palestinian claim that Jerusalem is the eternal capital of the Palestinian people.

Edited By BWhite on 1112589410

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#4 2005-04-03 23:01:19

flashgordon

this is the Pope who was quoted in Stephen Hawkings "A Brief History of Time" that we can study up to the big bang but not the big bang itself; o.k, he spent the last fifteen years apologizing for the Galileo events of hundreds of years ago; but all in all, he's part of an establishment that wants to replace him with a more evangelical Pope . . . .

#5 2005-04-03 23:21:44

BWhite

o.k, he spent the last fifteen years apologizing for the Galileo events of hundreds of years ago; but all in all, he's part of an establishment that wants to replace him with a more evangelical Pope . . . .

This might well be true. Then, we must be ready to use this last Pope's own words about Galileo and evolution when/if the establishment chooses an anti-scientific Pope.

That said, take sex issues off the table (and euthanasia perhaps) and Pope John Paul II was really rather liberal on everything else.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#6 2005-04-04 01:29:43

LtlPhysics
Banned

Liberal? Married priests, nyet, gay marriage, nyet, female priests, nyet, birth control, nyet, physics, nyet.

#7 2005-04-05 20:37:20

LtlPhysics
Banned

It's big and getting bigger. This isn't about religion. This is historical. People, all sorts of people, have simply stopped what they were doing and have gone to Rome.

You won't see this happen again.

Board footer