New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#176 2005-03-25 06:04:06

DonPanic
Website

Re: Corporal Punishment on Mars - Should it be Permitted or Not?

LO

[but (old American saying) "you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make the horse drink."(...)
If a family member is sick, you call the doctor.  The doctor can prescribe medicine.  But no one can force the patient to take the medicine.  If the patient refuses the medicine...what then?

Be by consent or by force, you leave him no choice !

About SKs as Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, or our Landru :
How many of them, are they in such a large number that they cannot be kept in observation, as special studies specimens ?
In France such cases happen minus than 2 or 3 per decade,
I guess its the same in USA reported to the population rate

About the "ordinary" rapists, they seem to rise a particular and strange emotionnal overreaction among men, though rape is a very common crime, such common that domestic rapes, husbands raping their unconsenting wifes, have not been considered as crimes until very recent times.

Looks like men overreact a similar way the arab brothers overreact when their sisters' virginity is endangered, or broken.

If capital punishment was the average sentence for a rape whatever the circumstances are, I fear that earth male population would shrink by 10% or more. ???

#177 2005-03-25 06:53:44

srmeaney

So if we rounded up all the rapists and shipped them off the the prison colony on the moon, how is that worse than rounding them up and desexing them?

#178 2005-03-25 12:05:06

DonPanic
Website

LO
Can't imagine 1 billion rapists locked toghether,
too bad  roll

What's the Moon's guilt to deserve such a mistreatment ? ???

#179 2005-03-26 15:07:52

John Creighton
Website

About the "ordinary" rapists, they seem to rise a particular and strange emotionnal overreaction among men, though rape is a very common crime, such common that domestic rapes, husbands raping their unconsenting wifes, have not been considered as crimes until very recent times.

Looks like men overreact a similar way the arab brothers overreact when their sisters' virginity is endangered, or broken.

If capital punishment was the average sentence for a rape whatever the circumstances are, I fear that earth male population would shrink by 10% or more.

I find ordinary a strange word to use with regard to rape. Generally people who commit such an act are vilified. Thus in the eyes of society they are not ordinary but a dark force of violence and perversion that plagues the land. Is this reputation deserved? I suppose it is in some regards. It is just the damage cannot be quantified. The damage is emotional and similarly so is societies reaction.

I once asked my girlfriend which she thought would be worse having both legs broken or being rapped. She said being raped, and it wouldn’t matter to her if the rapist had any diseases or not. She would feel dirty and not want to be with anyone after words.

Thus here assessment of which is worse fits generally into society assessment of which is worse. I consider emotional damage the hardest thing to quantify in any situation be it a rape or a car accident. Physical and monetary damage can easily be measured but emotional damage cannot be measured and varies person to person.

Should someone be rewarded more money in a lawsuit because they don’t cope with things emotionally as well. Should society punish someone more intensely because the victim is emotionally weaker then the average person? Then there is the question of why rape effects people emotionally in such a saver way.

If it was just about violence I don’t see why the emotional damage would be any different then getting beet up. Perhaps Froid is right and we are sexual beings. Who we have sex with has a direct effect on our emotional health and good experience strengthen our mental health and detrimental experiences do the opposite. Who knows. What is the point of trying to analyze such an emotional issue with such cold and calculated logic.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#180 2005-03-26 19:15:26

DonPanic
Website

Hi John Creighton

I said "ordinary rapists" by opposition to "pedophilic rapists", not to say that raping was some ordinary behaviour, but quite frequent.

Do remark that I was talking only about men's reactions about women's rape.

Maybe because I know some lethal close combat and Vo Viet tricks or that having played rugby, my duty as the last defensor was to stop any attacker, whatever his weight and speed were, then, as a man, I admit I've never thought of the possibility to be raped. One at one, I dont fear other men, my abdominal muscles are still 1 and a half inches thick, so plexus and belly are not quite vulerable.  In the district I live, there are no gangs, so I never thought of the possibility of facing many attackers.

I told before I know a girl which had been raped and it took years for her to recover some happiness to live, still this is not all "erased" from her mind.

#181 2005-03-26 23:29:28

srmeaney

A while back we had a case of a bunch of US Navy guys raping a young girl (16) while in port. Considering the UN classifies rape as a war crime, Soldiers on a Pass are not just vermin who perpetrate rape, they are by logical process of law, War criminals.

#182 2005-03-28 15:19:47

DonPanic
Website

LO

A while back we had a case of a bunch of US Navy guys raping a young girl (16) while in port. Considering the UN classifies rape as a war crime, Soldiers on a Pass are not just vermin who perpetrate rape, they are by logical process of law, War criminals.

These men a just vermin, there is no war crime if there is no war. They should be punished by the Navy court they dishonored the uniform and chased from the army, then punished by a criminal court of the country they commited their crime in.

#183 2005-03-28 15:33:10

Cobra Commander

These men a just vermin, there is no war crime if there is no war. They should be punished by the Navy court they dishonored the uniform and chased from the army, then punished by a criminal court of the country they commited their crime.

Never let it be said that DonPanic and I have no points of agreement, for here one stands.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#184 2005-03-28 15:46:54

DonPanic
Website

Never let it be said that DonPanic and I have no points of agreement, for here one stands.

LO
whatever the disagreement points are, we never forget the US boys fallen when liberating Europe from the Nazis

#185 2005-03-28 17:48:49

Shaun Barrett

DonPanic:-

These men a just vermin, there is no war crime if there is no war. They should be punished by the Navy court they dishonored the uniform and chased from the army, then punished by a criminal court of the country they commited their crime in.

whatever the disagreement points are, we never forget the US boys fallen when liberating Europe from the Nazis

My God, CC!
    That's twice Donpanic has said things I can agree with or warmly encourage.
    That's it!! .. I'm off to make an appointment with a psychiatrist.   yikes    big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#186 2005-04-16 03:58:14

DonPanic
Website

LO
http://www.thelancet.com/]Killing men in worse conditions than killing animals

#187 2005-04-29 11:11:15

srmeaney

considering the nation to which they belong was at war, and a state of war existed (aka war on terrorism) at war has effectivly become the status for all military personnel whether they are on the front lines or not. You suggest perhaps that a crime commited in a country you happen to be passing through on the way to a war is somehow not a warcrime? The Law is very logical on these matters, If you are at a state of war, any crime which is committed is a war crime.

#188 2005-05-02 05:04:32

DonPanic
Website

Lo
I suggest that a war crime is commited when a soldier obeys illegal orders, and when there is no order, a crime committed by a soldier is an ordinary crime.
And that "War on terror" is a sensless concept.
We can be at war at terrorists.

#189 2022-09-07 10:09:10

Mars_B4_Moon

I think there might be a physical punishment for especially criminal troublesome adults in a space colony

Punishment of kids is generally seen as wrong and in the West there are other ways to discipline kids, however many cultures have now been to space.

Corporal punishment, the infliction of physical pain upon a person’s body as punishment for a crime or infraction. Corporal punishments include flogging, beating, branding, mutilation, blinding, and the use of the stock and pillory. In a broad sense, the term also denotes the physical disciplining of children in the schools and at home.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/corporal-punishment

Teen and Adult crime and punishment?

Singapore Blasts Back at Clinton in Caning Case : Asia: Government stands by sentencing U.S. teen to flogging after he admitted vandalism. President called punishment extreme.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm … story.html

war of words between the United States and Singapore over the sentencing of an American teen-ager to a flogging for vandalism heightened Tuesday with the government here disputing President Clinton’s comments on the case.

The teen-ager, Michael P. Fay of Dayton, Ohio, was sentenced last week to six strokes of a rattan cane and four months in prison after pleading guilty to two charges of spray-painting cars, two counts of mischief and possessing stolen property. He was also fined $2,230.

Public humiliation or public shaming is a form of punishment whose main feature is dishonoring or disgracing a person, usually an offender or a prisoner, especially in a public place. It was regularly used as a form of judicially sanctioned punishment in previous centuries, and is still practiced by different means in the modern era.
In the United States, it was a common punishment from the beginning of European colonization through the 19th century. It fell out of common use in the 20th century, though it has seen a revival starting in the 1990s.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2000 … sentencing

Caning is a form of corporal punishment consisting of a number of hits (known as "strokes" or "cuts") with a single cane usually made of rattan, generally applied to the offender's bare or clothed buttocks (see spanking) or hands (on the palm). Caning on the knuckles or shoulders is much less common. Caning can also be applied to the soles of the feet (foot whipping or bastinado). The size and flexibility of the cane and the mode of application, as well as the number of the strokes, vary greatly—from a couple of light strokes with a small cane across the seat of a junior schoolboy's trousers, to up to 24 very hard, wounding cuts on the bare buttocks with a large, heavy, soaked rattan as a judicial punishment in some Southeast Asian countries.

In many state and private schools in England, Scotland and Wales, the rattan cane was regularly used across the hands, legs, or buttocks of both boys and girls. This was prior to abolition in 1987.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/126 … rl-pupils/

When caning was still widespread in schools in the United Kingdom, it was perceived that a caning on the hand carried a greater risk of injury than a caning on the buttocks; in 1935 an Exeter schoolboy won £1 in damages (equivalent to £74 in 2021), plus his medical expenses, from a schoolmaster, when the county court decided that an abscess that developed on his hand was the result of a caning.
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.u … 5/114/0011

The practice is retained, for male offenders only, under the criminal law in Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. (In Malaysia there is also a separate system of religious courts for Muslims only, which can order a much milder form of caning for women as well as men.) Caning in Indonesia is a recent introduction, in the special case of Aceh, on Sumatra, which since its 2005 autonomy has introduced a form of sharia law for Muslims, as well as non-Muslims since 2014 if they choose to do it with the Acehnese Qanun (male or female), applying the cane to the clothed upper back of the offender
https://web.archive.org/web/20180307214 … ngfeat.htm

Murder and Crime?

Canada mass stabbings: Heartbroken boy, 13, saw mum and brother being knifed to death
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new … y-27929384

Stabbings in Canada kill 10, wound 15; suspects at large
https://www.kentucky.com/news/nation-wo … 34741.html

Canada Stab Spree Suspect Had 59 Convictions
https://www.thedailybeast.com/myles-san … onvictions

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2022-09-07 10:10:52)

#190 2022-09-07 20:46:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

Usually, crime in those nation is low

Board footer