New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-03-24 19:47:27

Lucid
Banned

Re: Passengers to mars or deep space... - ...what about everyone else?

So you're either planning a colony on mars or a deep space mission. Either way, no one is coming back to Earth.

I've seen a lot of lists showing who would need to go on such a mission. A lot of care is made in covering major topics of science and health as well as the obviously important astronomers and researchers.

But this is a bit more than just a mission - this is a step in the evolution of human culture. There will be no MTV. Not a huge loss, but it suggests a certain line of thinking regarding the development of this new culture.

I feel, that in addition to the ships crew, there needs to be careful consideration put into additional passengers - I guess they'd be the pilgrims.

Consider that the mission will want to communicate with Earth, at least for the duration it's in existing communications range. Also consider that, even if communication is at some point severed, eventually the location colinized by the mission will be in contact with the Earth.

This will create a huge split in our evolution in two different directions. I feel it's important that we retain as much of our diversity as possible when we fire off into space. What I mean is, we need to bring art, religion, and all areas of sience along for the ride.

Imagine calling apon the religions of the world and saying, "send us your best candidate to represent your religion, and we're going to let them spend the rest of their lives as part of a religious exploration study comprised of representatives from as many established religions as want to apply."

Or something like that - anyway, it's a chance for humans to actually 'get away' and focus... so why not bring that opportunity to more than just the astronomers and physicists on board.

Besides, what would a deep space mission be if there wasn't a janitor that happened to study music in his time off.

bla bla bla... anyone following my drivle?

#2 2002-04-09 00:38:35

Mark Carter
Banned

I totally agree...

A long-term mission needs artists and writers, for instance.  People who can communicate their product back to earth easily, are content being alone, and can actually best achieve their professional goals in solitude.  If the bulk of your life is spent on a ship just making a journey, I'd think the artist/writer type is least likely to feel their life was wasted at the end of that journey.

Along those lines, I'd suggest that the crew should be filtered to include, perhaps, only introverts.  If you're in a confined space for a long time with few people, you'll survive a lot better if you actually like it that way to begin with.  Someone who loves crowds and goes out dancing every night would go insane very quickly I'd think. 

I'd happily hop on a ship for a few(or many) years.  A complete and constantly updated library of e-books to read, the time and solitude to write, all my mundane needs provided for by the ship, few people to bother me... sounds like a pretty good life.

Mark

#3 2005-06-21 23:26:06

Loughman
Banned

Certainly for longer missions/colonies. 

If however, you're in the first stage of setting up a colony when resources are scarce and every man-hour and every breath of air counts the best course of action is to simply cross train (or simply select) the engineers and scientists in writing, communication, art, philosophy, etc.

#4 2005-06-22 07:43:10

Martin_Tristar

What about a News Journalist or Historian that could write weekly articles of life out into space ??

We need to have the public involved with the journey of humanity as well as the scientists, engineers, doctors, and other professionals other than general public.

#5 2005-06-22 22:38:21

Loughman
Banned

I think that it's really important that people make the case to everyone why we should explore space. 

Someone needs to really ignite the public generally.  They have to really want their money to be spent on space (human and robotic) exploration.

I also know that a writer or journalist could accomplish this well.  I couldn't see it happening though on a small mission (4 to 6) unless someone was cross-trained as a historian or writer.

Board footer