New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-03-17 22:50:46

LtlPhysics
Banned

Re: Attack of the Acronyms

In the QQ mission plan, a Crew Excursion Vehicle (CEV) with a
propulsive capability for Trans Earth Injection (TEI) is launched to orbit where it rendezvous with an Earth Departure Stage (EDS) capable of delivering it to Low Lunar Orbit (LLO, i.e. perform TLI + Lunar Orbit Capture, or LOC burn). Separately from this, a Lunar Surface and Ascent Module (LSAM) is launched to orbit, and then another EDS,
which then rendezvous, after which the EDS delivers to LSAM to LLO. The CEV performs a rendezvous with the LSAM in LLO, after which the crew transfers to the LSAM for an excursion to the Lunar surface. The crew then ascends in the LSAM to rendezvous with the CEV in LLO. The crew transfers to the CEV which performs Trans Earth Injection and direct entry and landing at Earth.

That came in my mail today. Could it be the most acronym infested paragraph ever?

#2 2005-03-17 23:19:19

Michael Bloxham

Damn. Let's hope for the invention of remote telepathy devices (RTD's) so we can stop the AOTA.  big_smile

- Mike,  Member of the [b][url=http://cleanslate.editboard.com]Clean Slate Society[/url][/b]

#3 2005-03-18 01:28:54

Shaun Barrett

How true.
    There've been discussions over at 'Human Missions' and 'Interplanetary Transportation', between our resident rocket scientists, which were so crammed with acronyms I gave up the unequal struggle to interpret them, shrugged my shoulders, and turned to other things.
    But still, it's a fairly specialized subject with much technical jargon, I guess. And it would be unreasonable to expect the people doing the debating to repeat every rocket classification or orbital designation in tedious long-hand, I suppose. However, the acronyms do tend effectively to exclude less erudite members of New Mars who might actually have something worthwhile to contribute .. if only they knew what the hell the discussion was about!   big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2005-03-18 10:50:06

dicktice

A sudden thought came to me, although its application is beyond my (essentially nonexistent) programming ability, regarding acronym infested (love that description) text, i.e.:
Highlight the word, paragraph or document, as when you want to change or correct something you're reading, and then click "Acronym" on the toolbar to spell out any highlighted acronyms, from your computer's previously updated dictionary ... or vise versa, to restore and/or write the acronym for something you've originally written spelled out (say) for the popular press.

#5 2005-03-18 10:56:23

Palomar

*Years ago I read a bit of "M.D. humor" -- published in a quarterly devoted to hospitals and clinics, etc. -- about the prevalence of acronyms in medicine.  It concerned a doctor being summoned to the ER to consult on a patient; ensuing laboratory tests and a minor procedure.  Nearly the entire paragraph (perhaps 10 lines) was nothing but acronyms.
Wish I would have kept that; I'd share it now, if so.

Cardiology is especially rife with acronyms.  :-\

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2005-03-18 11:07:07

GCNRevenger

In the QQ mission plan, a Crew Excursion Vehicle (CEV) with a
propulsive capability for Trans Earth Injection (TEI) is launched to orbit where it rendezvous with an Earth Departure Stage (EDS) capable of delivering it to Low Lunar Orbit (LLO, i.e. perform TLI + Lunar Orbit Capture, or LOC burn). Separately from this, a Lunar Surface and Ascent Module (LSAM) is launched to orbit, and then another EDS,
which then rendezvous, after which the EDS delivers to LSAM to LLO. The CEV performs a rendezvous with the LSAM in LLO, after which the crew transfers to the LSAM for an excursion to the Lunar surface. The crew then ascends in the LSAM to rendezvous with the CEV in LLO. The crew transfers to the CEV which performs Trans Earth Injection and direct entry and landing at Earth.

That came in my mail today. Could it be the most acronym infested paragraph ever?

QQ - Term used to describe the Earth Orbit Rendevous mission plan. That the crew capsule, lander, and a rocket for both of them would be launched in several flights. Each would individually mate to their respective rocket stage in Earth orbit, proceed to Lunar orbit, then dock together to transfer the crew to the lander. Then its just like Apollo.

CEV - Crew capsule basically like Apollo's CSM, which will likly include its own rocket big enough to go from Lunar orbit back to Earth.

TEI - Rocket stage used to push the CEV from the Moon back to Earth.

EDS - Rocket used to get from Earth orbit to Lunar orbit. Also called the TLI stage.

Lunar Orbit Capture - that you have to fire an engine to slow down once you reach the Moon in order to stay in Lunar orbit.

LSAM - Lunar lander and payload

LLO - Lunar orbit

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#7 2005-03-18 18:42:45

Shaun Barrett

Dicktice:-

Highlight the word, paragraph or document, as when you want to change or correct something you're reading, and then click "Acronym" on the toolbar to spell out any highlighted acronyms, from your computer's previously updated dictionary ... or vise versa, to restore and/or write the acronym for something you've originally written spelled out (say) for the popular press.

Yes ... a good idea!
    Kinda like a 'spell checker' but actually an 'acronym cracker'.   :up:   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer