New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-03-10 12:21:58

Admiral_Ritt

Re: String-of-Pearls Jupiter Probe - Would this Work

Lets say you construct about 25 Probes that are designed to
survive High Temps & Pressure of the Deeper portions of
Jupiters Atmosphere.    Assume these probes are able to act
as enviromental probes and as Relay stations. 

Could they be sent into Jupiter's atmosphere in a timed
manner so that there is an appoximately linear path from the
deepest Probe that enters the Jupiter atmosphere and the
highest?  A separation between probes of 1,000 miles
to help relaying of information being the average.
What's the deepest a probe could get before the signals where
lost or the probe just Melted, because no known material could
survive that much heat.

#2 2005-03-10 15:58:21

Palomar

*Sounds wonderful but I'm sorry; I wouldn't know how to hammer something like that out.  :-\  Would be great to read ideas from other folks more knowledgeable in those respects than I, of course.  :up:

You're thinking of sending in probes ala Shoemaker-Levy?  Just slower and more spaced apart?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2005-03-10 16:07:35

Admiral_Ritt

Yes, Not at Full tilt Hot Re-entry speed.   I think If you want
to get a reading from deep within Jupiter this is one way to
do it.   I don't think a single probe going deep into Jupiter
would be able to signal much of anything.  Note The that
last jupiter probe only inspected the very topmost layers.

Some of us are curious about just what states of matter
exist down there.

#4 2005-03-10 17:44:16

hubricide
Banned

I imagine that if we were to somehow devise a probe that could go all the way down to Jupiter's core (or whatever is down there) we'd see some very interesting things indeed.  It's only a matter of time before such a mission is planned and executed, but I wouldn't mind if one took off tomorrow.  smile  Oh, and I guess I'd settle for halfway down, or even just two or three thousand miles..  but there has to be unimaginable stuff down there.  Even, dare I say it, life.

#5 2005-03-10 22:52:13

Stephen

I imagine that if we were to somehow devise a probe that could go all the way down to Jupiter's core (or whatever is down there) we'd see some very interesting things indeed.  It's only a matter of time before such a mission is planned and executed, but I wouldn't mind if one took off tomorrow.  smile

Wouldn't any probe be crushed and/or melted long before it got anywhere near Jupiter's core? If so, then unless somebody invented something like the semi-magical "Unobtainium" metal used for the mole vehicle in the movie "The Core" it will probably be quite a while before any probe gets even a fraction of the way to Jupiter's core.  smile

======
Stephen

#6 2005-03-10 23:18:12

hubricide
Banned

I imagine that if we were to somehow devise a probe that could go all the way down to Jupiter's core (or whatever is down there) we'd see some very interesting things indeed.  It's only a matter of time before such a mission is planned and executed, but I wouldn't mind if one took off tomorrow.  smile

Wouldn't any probe be crushed and/or melted long before it got anywhere near Jupiter's core? If so, then unless somebody invented something like the semi-magical "Unobtainium" metal used for the mole vehicle in the movie "The Core" it will probably be quite a while before any probe gets even a fraction of the way to Jupiter's core.  smile

Note carefully the first words of my first sentence. 

..."if" we were to "somehow"...

#7 2005-03-10 23:33:49

Admiral_Ritt

Titanium melts at 3,000 Degrees.  A probe designed to melt
away layers of Titanium would hopefully last to an interesting
depth.

#8 2005-03-11 16:22:40

hubricide
Banned

People are constantly finding new materials and new methods of manufacturing.  I'm sure someday we'll have some way of getting a probe into the deepest depths of Jupiter.  I imagine we'll all be dead before that happens, but you can't have everything, I suppose.  smile

Board footer