New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-03-03 06:52:50

Palomar

Re: Blistering Bubbles

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnatu … .html]*Wow, this is an interesting article

It's new to me -- anyone else (probably not)?  Rapidly collapsing bubbles have long been known to reach astonishing temperatures??  Hmmmmm.

"When bubbles in a liquid get compressed, the insides get hot – very hot," said Ken Suslick of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. "The temperature we measured – about 20,000 degrees Kelvin [35,540 Fahrenheit] – is four times hotter than the surface of our Sun."

--Cindy

P.S.:  Found a moment to come back to this.  They say the process of creating plasma in these bubbles "emits light."  And in single bubbles, the light can be seen. 

The light that is seen is coming from the outer surface of the rapidly shrinking bubble.  Inside this surface, the temperature is believed to be even higher.

yikes  Cool.  cool

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-03-03 12:31:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Some experiments with cold fusion using ultra sonic sound to stimulate the water I believe?

#3 2005-03-04 10:52:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

New article: Temperature Inside Collapsing Bubble Four Times That Of Sun

bubble-single-growth-collapse-false-color-bg.jpg

A cinematographic sequence of photos of the growth and implosive collapse of a single bubble (shown in blue) in sulfuric acid irradiated with high intensity ultrasound. The images are shown in false color. Photo by D. Flannigan and K. S. Suslick.

Board footer