New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-02-25 14:16:15

Palomar

Re: Calling All Scientists

*I'm serious.  Where have you brainiacs gone?  We used to have a handful of scientists visiting here on a regular or semi-regular basis.

I'd like to ask the following:  What's the culture like in the scientific community?  You're an insider, I'm a layperson.  I suppose it varies/depends on the area of expertise/discipline?

Is there a lot of pressure to conform?  How open-minded are your colleagues?  And the like.  What is the perception of non-scientists who are very much "into" science? 

Just wondering.  Thanks.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-02-25 14:46:57

REB
Banned
Website

I have been an Armature Astronomer and Geologist for about 25 year. I was a professional Astronomer during my college years- I did get paid for my work at the observatory.

I also taught Astronomy at the High School and college level. And I taught Geology at the Junior High School level.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an Astronomer or Geologist. But I couldn’t make a living doing either so now I am a programmer. Sometime I wish I was out in the field doing Geology or Astronomy.

I have found that being a Scientist in the Academic area is very similar to being a programmer in the Business area- at least with the way non-scientist and non-programmer people look at you, and treat you.

In both, you have most fooled to thinking you are brilliant smile
And if you don't have an answer for them, throw in a bunch of technogarbage and buzz words smile That usually sends them away thinking you know what you are talking about smile

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#3 2005-02-25 15:54:53

Palomar

I was a professional Astronomer during my college years- I did get paid for my work at the observatory.

I also taught Astronomy at the High School and college level. And I taught Geology at the Junior High School level.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an Astronomer or Geologist.

*Interesting.  Thanks for responding, REB. 

I wanted to be a professional astronomer since age 8 or 9.  Alas, higher math and physics...  roll

Meteorology would have been my 2nd choice; not sure why I didn't look into pursuing a career in that field.  :hm: 

Still hoping a scientist or two will chime in.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2005-02-25 16:48:26

Dook
Banned

I bet GCN scared them all away!

#5 2005-02-25 20:17:20

John Creighton
Website

As a master student in electrical engineering I would say that the whole purpose of your research is to do something original. However, it is difficult to make a contribution other then marginal building upon what others have done. The more new ground you try to break in any research the greater the burden in justifying your methods, the lower the chance of success and the harder it will be for your supervisors to guide you as to whether you are going in a useful direction at all. Actually I think a lot of young researchers probably have some tendency to want to head out into the wilderness and stake out new ground. If they are not extremely gifted and prepared it is very important for the supervisor to make sure they keep some focus to there work. Otherwise they will get lost and never finish their journey.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#6 2005-02-26 13:26:11

C M Edwards

I'm currently a master's student in mechanical engineering, and I must say that the most striking thing about engineering as opposed to physics (my first love, which dumped me... sad ) is the compartmentalization of engineering specialties.

Most people think the resistance to interdisciplinary work is just a matter of engineers sticking to their chosen fields.  It's actually far worse than that.  Mixed disciplines are... highly frowned upon.  As the separation between disciplines has become stricter and stricter over the years, suspicion, hatred and prejudice have begun to rear their ugly heads.  The mechanical engineering students and electrical engineering students won't even talk to each other in the halls.  Last month, I came across two civil engineers telling very derogatory interdisciplinary jokes.  The aerospace engineers only recruit HVAC techs to participate as subjects for their "demonstrations".  And some very troublesome chemicals have recently gone missing from the chemical engineering lab just in time for the next meeting of the idustrial engineering honor society.

Word has recently gotten out that my masters thesis will involve interdisciplinary work.  No outright threats yet, but I've gotten several suspicious looks, and a professor has flatly told me to drop out over it, or else.  I'm sticking to my guns, though.

I'll just start travelling in the company of friends.   ???

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#7 2005-02-26 18:37:17

dicktice

I bet GCN scared them all away!

There, now GCNR: See what you've done?

#8 2005-02-26 21:31:53

Euler

Isn't GCNR a chemist?

#9 2005-02-26 21:54:36

Palomar

Mixed disciplines are... highly frowned upon.  As the separation between disciplines has become stricter and stricter over the years, suspicion, hatred and prejudice have begun to rear their ugly heads.  The mechanical engineering students and electrical engineering students won't even talk to each other in the halls.  Last month, I came across two civil engineers telling very derogatory interdisciplinary jokes.  The aerospace engineers only recruit HVAC techs to participate as subjects for their "demonstrations".

::shakes head::

I'm surprised, yet ... I'm not. 

Sometimes I think it's frankly a literal miracle we've progressed as far as we have, as technology, and etc., go.

Why are people still so "tribal"?  ???  It seems like a tribal attitude. 

Sometimes I certainly feel like a stranger in a strange land. 

--Cindy

#10 2005-02-28 11:02:15

dicktice

C M Edwards: Last month, I came across two civil engineers telling very derogatory interdisciplinary jokes.
dicktice: How very un-civil of them. (I got a million of 'em!)

#11 2005-02-28 14:34:02

C M Edwards

Why are people still so "tribal"?  ???  It seems like a tribal attitude. 

Sometimes I certainly feel like a stranger in a strange land. 

--Cindy

It's not so strange. 

"Separate but equal" is just getting another chance.   roll

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

Board footer