New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-27 09:39:14

Palomar

Re: Spitzer Space Telescope

CalTech, JPL & NASA

*Includes Introduction; Press Releases (includes Latest and Archives); Visuals; References; Quick Facts; News Room; etc.

Will have fun combing through this! 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-06-21 19:49:56

Yang Liwei Rocket

more news

you can check this other report from a europe news station

http://www.euronews.net/create_html.php … &langue=en

report from the Spitzer Space telescope, the telescope which has made some remarkable discoveries

smile

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#3 2004-06-30 13:12:20

Palomar

report from the Spitzer Space telescope, the telescope which has made some remarkable discoveries

smile

*Yep. 

Heres]http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=14481]Here's looking at you...er, us...(well, sort of)

Image and data from Spitzer on NCG 7331 -- which is, according to astronomers, nearly identical to our own Milky Way Galaxy.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2004-07-19 13:01:17

Palomar

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish … 04]Spitzer teams up with SCUBA:  Starburst Galaxy study

*U.S.-U.K. cooperation.  Helping to map the evolution of the universe, among other things.  This joint technology will also assist in separating the "young 'uns" from the "old coots" in the galaxy population.

"NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has uncovered a group of ancient galaxies that had eluded astronomers using other telescopes. The primordial galaxies were originally discovered using the UK's SCUBA instrument on the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope in Hawaii, but the instrument wasn't fine enough to determine which were galaxies in the background, and which were actually groups of galaxies, or objects in the foreground. Spitzer resolved the issue in only 10 minutes, giving the SCUBA team a new method of confirming their findings."

*We are stardust.  smile

--Cindy

#5 2004-08-27 06:47:33

Palomar

Spitzers]http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/spitzer_update_040825.html]Spitzer's 1st great year..."operating absolutely flawlessly"

*Infrared success: 

"It looks at the infrared part of the spectrum. If a galaxy is cloaked in dust, Spitzer can gaze right through it."

"'We're very neatly able to dissect galaxies and find their component parts,' Werner said...'Regions of recent star formation light up like Christmas tree bulbs'"...

How appropriate.  :;): 

Lots of discoveries with regards to galaxy components/structure.  :up:

"A year after its launch from Cape Canaveral, the Spitzer Space Telescope is unveiling the invisible: leftovers of stellar explosions, nurseries where stars are born, and the innards of the Milky Way.  'It's hard to convey the mixture of excitement and delight that we have here'." 

For instance, Spitzer may be able to see previously unidentified stages in a star's infancy.

--Cindy

#6 2004-10-22 07:08:07

Palomar

#7 2004-11-10 07:11:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well not much news on this particular telescope in quite some time but Telescope may have seen star birth.

Scientists excited by Spitzer images

Spitzer Sees Ice and Warm Glows in Dark and Dusty Places

The proof to how our own solar system may have formed.

#8 2004-11-10 22:12:23

Palomar

KBOs]http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/icy_objects_smaller.html?10112004]KBO's *smaller* than previously thought?

*Thanks to Spitzer, Pluto's status as our 9th planet may be secure after all.  Check out the albedo factor relative to KBO's studied.

--Cindy

#9 2004-11-11 06:21:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

Saw that late last night but from another source
Good News for Pluto - Spitzer Astronomers Say KBOs May Be Smaller Than Thought

Which now that Pluto's status as a planet will bring up the question on sedna as the 10th once more exact measurements can be made of it.

Sure would be nice if the Horizon Pluto probe could see these KBO objects once in orbit around our 9th planet.

#10 2005-01-11 06:35:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

#11 2005-01-11 08:15:34

Cobra Commander

Spitzer Sees Dusty Aftermath of Pluto-Sized Collision

Wasn't this previously posted in "New Discoveries"?

<looking...> Yep, it was.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#12 2005-01-11 08:55:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yup but it is sort of the reason why we lose sight of the discoveries that each instrument makes and ultimately why we wanted to design and build such devices for the purpose of scientific exploration. It is also one of the hottest discussions in regards to, when is a space telescope obsolete and not worthy of repair.

#13 2005-01-13 06:42:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Spitzer Finds Stellar "Incubators" With Massive Star Embryos

Trifid Nebula Nursery image

The Trifid Nebula is a giant star-forming cloud of gas and dust located 5,400 light-years away in the constellation Sagittarius.

The new Spitzer images are a combination of data from the telescope's infrared array camera and the multiband imaging photometer.

"With Spitzer, it's like having an ultrasound for stars. We can see into dust cocoons and visualize how many embryos are in each of them."

#14 2005-01-13 07:38:27

Palomar

*Congratulations Cindy.  You've managed to create a thread which is now in direct competition with another thread you created, namely the "New Discoveries" series! 

Yep, you started this thread about Spitzer, initially focusing on the instrument itself.  Then, when others' interest in "New Discoveries" seemed to lag, you decided to post a few astronomy articles here, in which Spitzer is the featured instrument.   tongue  Bravo, girl.

Months ago you decided it'd be best to refocus on the "New Discoveries" thread as the astronomy news "catch all" of sorts and let *this* thread go, in hopes of keeping matters at New Mars tidy and etc., with "New Discoveries" as the main astronomy news thread.

Well, looks like you did it this time.  One of your threads competing with another!  roll

--Cindy

#15 2005-01-13 09:50:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sorry.. sad
I'm guilty..

Yes it is important to track the discoveries made but it is also important to note which instruments and in this case which telescope is used in the discovery as well.

If we want to replace telescopes like Hubble with say a JSW we would then know which type of discoveries would be missed due to instrumentation selection.

Still love starring at the stars without a telescope thou.... big_smile

#16 2005-01-13 09:57:37

Palomar

Sorry.. sad
I'm guilty..

Yes it is important to track the discoveries made but it is also important to note which instruments and in this case which telescope is used in the discovery as well.

If we want to replace telescopes like Hubble with say a JSW we would then know which type of discoveries would be missed due to instrumentation selection.

Still love starring at the stars without a telescope thou.... big_smile

*No, actually this is my fault entirely.  I created confusion, and I'm sorry. 

You seem (correct if wrong) primarily interested in the instrumentation.  I prefer to discuss the astronomical discoveries themselves, with instrumentation as a definite secondary (if that) consideration.

So (thanks entirely to *me*) we face the prospect of discussing at least some new astronomy discoveries in 2 threads. 

You have nothing to apologize for, SpaceNut.  It was my own choices and decisions, etc.

I understand the importance of showcasing the instruments yielding up these fabulous discoveries, but Spitzer is not the only instrument deserving of praise and kudos.

But we each have our preferences and of course you're at as much liberty as I am to act upon preference.   :;):

--Cindy

#17 2005-01-13 10:15:17

Cobra Commander

Surely there's enough discoveries in this universe of ours to fill two threads?  big_smile

But Cindy's point is well taken, things discovered with Spitzer would be better placed in the "New Discoveries" thread while anything pertaining to Spitzer itself as hardware makes more sense here.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#18 2005-02-18 13:04:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well back on the issue of the hardware rather than the images that can be produced, well sort of. Picture Imperfect: NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope

NASA officials acknowledge that two of the space agency's premier orbiting telescopes share a common problem: flawed optics. One is the 15-year-old, multibillion-dollar Hubble Space Telescope, which made "spherical aberration" a household term before being rehabilitated in a spectacular rescue mission by Space Shuttle astronauts. The other, overlooked until this week, is the $720 million infrared Spitzer Space Telescope.

Gee another broken design and no chance for a service mission even if wanted to fix it. Some would argue build a new spitzer II and do not become a hugger. sad

#19 2005-02-18 13:14:30

Palomar

Well back on the issue of the hardware... http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1463_1.asp] Picture Imperfect: NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope

NASA officials acknowledge that two of the space agency's premier orbiting telescopes share a common problem: flawed optics. One is the 15-year-old, multibillion-dollar Hubble Space Telescope, which made "spherical aberration" a household term before being rehabilitated in a spectacular rescue mission by Space Shuttle astronauts. The other, overlooked until this week, is the $720 million infrared Spitzer Space Telescope.

Gee another broken design and no chance for a service mission even if wanted to fix it. Some would argue build a new spitzer II and do not become a hugger. sad

*Oh geez.  sad

But maybe some good news (or an attempt to make lemonade from lemons):

Whereas Hubble was scientifically crippled until its optics were corrected, Spitzer remains an astrophysical powerhouse, even with its slightly aberrated optics.

::sigh::  Well, I'd be surprised if people do start calling out in earnest for Spitzer to be scraped or allowed to fall to ruin, and build Spitzer II...because it's not that old, for starters.

As for the term "Hubble Hugger" -- everyone's entitled to their opinion of course...but frankly I think name-calling is childish.

Anywho -- it'll be interesting keeping tabs on this.

--Cindy

Board footer