New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-02-07 13:56:45

ERRORIST

Re: Galileo VS Cassini

Again we are not getting the true picture. Galileo ten years older and having a thousand times better resolution than Cassini. Why are they not showing us better quality pictures than Galileo? The pictures that Cassini should be taking should have better resolution than Galileo had. Are they keeping the better quality photos from us?

#2 2005-02-07 15:41:13

GCNRevenger

Probobly
A: You are too lazy to look for them at the appropriate website
B: If not, the scientists who built Cassini get first dibs on the data, just like Hubble pictures aren't posted immediatly after download.
C: The pictures look bad because they haven't been color corrected yet.

Pick one. I side with A though.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2005-02-07 16:29:35

C M Edwards

Darn, Errorist, I was hoping for a fight, comic-book style, not a comparison of camera performance.    :bars2:

Cassini's cameras get a tiny fraction of the light that Galileo's did.  Consequently, they get a fraction of the performance.  Galileo was taking pictures outdoors at noon, Cassini is shooting indoors at night, and Huygens was shooting outdoors at night.  Unless you've developed one heck of a flash bulb, picture quality follows the light.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#4 2005-02-07 16:34:38

ERRORIST

Nothing at all looks bad with the lighting it is the closeness and resolution I am talking about here. There is no comparison.
Galileo wins by a landslide. Again, a Wall Mart camera would have done much better.

#5 2005-02-07 18:50:19

Grypd

Nothing at all looks bad with the lighting it is the closeness and resolution I am talking about here. There is no comparison.
Galileo wins by a landslide. Again, a Wall Mart camera would have done much better.

Errorist why do you keep putting the Cassini Huygens probe down when you really should be applauding its success. And your rational for this is it did not show you pretty pictures. Did you not realise that Huygens as an atmosphere probe has advanced our knowledge about a whole interesting planet by decades and how we came about by possibly the same.

Frankly having a some pictures is good enough and with the time limits on the Mission great. So Errorist please get of your anti Esa Huygens strop.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#6 2005-02-07 19:25:25

ERRORIST

"Errorist why do you keep putting the Cassini Huygens probe down when you really should be applauding its success."

I do applaude the mission. However, the pictures show the true picture. Galileo was magnificent while Cassini is a throwback to the 70s.In my opinion a waste of tax payer money. Unless,they can show me conclusive proof of better photos than Galileo.A picture is worth a thousand words.Don't tell me it is better show me it is better.

#7 2005-02-07 19:35:56

Grypd

"Errorist why do you keep putting the Cassini Huygens probe down when you really should be applauding its success."

I do applaude the mission. However, the pictures show the true picture. Galileo was magnificent while Cassini is a throwback to the 70s.In my opinion a waste of tax payer money. Unless,they can show me conclusive proof of better photos than Galileo.A picture is worth a thousand words.Don't tell me it is better show me it is better.

But you still dont get it. Huygens is not a rover publicity stunt it had its incredibly short period of operation and needed to work fast and it took its photos in almost pitch darkness. And why waste space in putting a better camera onboard when it was a secondary part of the mission.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#8 2005-02-07 19:51:44

ERRORIST

I am not talking about Huygens I am talking about Cassini now.

#9 2005-02-07 20:41:56

GCNRevenger

Don't feed the trolls Grypd, this one cannot is so retarded that it cannot be apeased. If we had the Hollywood grade pictures he wants, then he would be whining about "wheres my video!?"

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#10 2005-02-07 21:05:44

ERRORIST

"If we had the Hollywood grade pictures he wants, then he would be whining about "wheres my video!?""

We had them with Galileo. Why not with Cassini?

#11 2005-02-10 16:29:25

C M Edwards

this one ...is so retarded that it cannot be apeased.

Really now, GCNRevenger.  Errorist clearly isn't retarded, merely undisciplined.  (In fact, I'll bet that his parents actually give him permission to use the Internet.  They're so cute at that age!  :;): )  Why, my two year old just today asked me "why?" in ridiculous circumstances for the 910th time - one for each day she's been alive.  Joy!  A darling child, just darling... She's not developmentally delayed, so it's no surprise that Errorist - who is likely close to her in age, judging from his posts - behaves similarly.

Be patient, friend, and let him grow.   big_smile

#12 2005-02-10 17:00:44

C M Edwards

Don't tell me it is better show me it is better.

Now, Errorist, have a little faith.  GCNRevenger spends so much time denigrating everything he sees that when something's impressive enough to inadvertently draw forth a compliment from him, that's gospel!   :;):

(I prefer to think of GCNRevenger as a troglodyte, rather than a troll.  He's a curmudgeon, true, but he's a skilled curmudgeon, and that makes all the difference.)

#13 2005-02-13 16:16:36

ERRORIST

I wish we had a say in where our tax money goes. In this case I would have opted for a Wall mart camera. I think they are holding back magnificent images.

Board footer