New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-02-12 08:16:36

flashgordon

Re: mars in a month, - solar sail technology,

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology … 50211.html

havn't seen anybody posting this one.

As for the technology; i wonder how much payload a hundred meter sail could send to mars, or how big a sail do we need to make say marsdirect work?

#2 2005-02-12 08:37:13

GCNRevenger

Re: mars in a month, - solar sail technology,

I personally think that the idea is dumb, and is really a ploy to draw in money for the time-honored tradition of paying aerospace engineers to develop but never produce anything practical for spaceflight.

The biggest giveaway is the steriotypical "Mars in a month!" line, which is bascially used whenever somebody comes up with a new propulsion idea and needs publicity to get money for said pet project. Notice how it doesn't say how much payload it could push for a given microwave beam, and convienantly forgets to mention that it would only work well one way most likly.

We already know how to get to Mars in a reasonably short time scale, and we just need to stop dithering with pipe-dream ideas and do it. Spend the money on designing a new Tricarbide NTR engine instead.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

Board footer