New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-10-08 22:16:03

Phobos

Re: Russian reality TV show

We've got people on TV competing in the stone age on tropical islands while the Russians will soon have people competing to ride into space and spend a week on the ISS.  Here's a quote from the CNN  article:

"MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- Russia's biggest television station announced Tuesday it was teaming up with the country's space agency to create a reality show that will be literally out of this world.

The show will follow contestants as they go through the rigorous training required for cosmonauts, and the winner will spend a week on the Russian segment of the International Space Station, said Channel 1, also known as ORT.
"

Would you watch a TV show like this?  I would. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#2 2002-10-09 11:42:20

Nida
Banned

Life is enough reality for me. But I might watch this show, since I like outer space stuff.

happy holidays :0)

#3 2002-10-09 12:12:33

turbo
Banned

Watch it?  I want to be IN it!!! 
Somebody get a photo of NASA's faces when precious ISS hosts game show contestant   big_smile  tongue
turbo

#4 2002-10-09 12:16:49

Palomar

We've got people on TV competing in the stone age on tropical islands while the Russians will soon have people competing to ride into space and spend a week on the ISS.  Here's a quote from the CNN  article:

"MOSCOW, Russia (AP) -- Russia's biggest television station announced Tuesday it was teaming up with the country's space agency to create a reality show that will be literally out of this world.

The show will follow contestants as they go through the rigorous training required for cosmonauts, and the winner will spend a week on the Russian segment of the International Space Station, said Channel 1, also known as ORT.
"

Would you watch a TV show like this?  I would. smile

*I'd tune in.  How long I'd stay on the channel, though, would depend on the program's content.  If the majority of the focus is on the actual training methods, handling of equipment, operations, etc., I'd stay with it.  Of course there would be human element in it as well, but if the program were to center mostly around personal problems, who cosmonaut so-and-so is shacking up with this week, why cosmonaut x and y dislike each other, on and on, I'd tune out.

Again, it'd depend on the overall content of the program.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2002-10-10 20:50:47

Phobos

Watch it?  I want to be IN it!!! 
Somebody get a photo of NASA's faces when precious ISS hosts game show contestant     
turbo

LOL, I bet there's all kinds of people in the "system" gritting their teeth at the prospects of mere gameshow contestants flying around in their holy space.  I like the way Russia stirs up things up there. smile

*I'd tune in.  How long I'd stay on the channel, though, would depend on the program's content.  If the majority of the focus is on the actual training methods, handling of equipment, operations, etc., I'd stay with it.  Of course there would be human element in it as well, but if the program were to center mostly around personal problems, who cosmonaut so-and-so is shacking up with this week, why cosmonaut x and y dislike each other, on and on, I'd tune out.

Ditto that.  It seems the only thing that's on TV anymore are self-absorbed people trying to stab each other in the back.  I generally can't stand watching TV even though that might change if I had cable.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#6 2002-10-11 09:53:56

Palomar

Ditto that.  It seems the only thing that's on TV anymore are self-absorbed people trying to stab each other in the back.  I generally can't stand watching TV even though that might change if I had cable.

*Yeah.  I don't understand the mentality which watches, hour after hour, program after program, petty squabbles between people, tantrums, conniving, and -- as you put it -- people backstabbing each other.

I've gotten more than my fill of that level of reality in former offices I worked in.  I don't even care to read about petty feuds and wrangling in historical texts either, unless a personal difference between two powerful people impacted the course history took...which, of course, means the feud wasn't petty.

I'm rambling.  Anyway...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer