New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2005-01-27 14:18:59

ERRORIST

Re: JPL vs esa Mars Mission

Here is a story that supports my theory.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/a … 50127.html

Based on data collected by Huygens' instruments, Sushil Atreya, a professor of planetary science at the University of Michigan in the United States, believes a hydro-geological process between water and rocks deep inside the moon could be producing the methane.

"I think the process is quite likely in the interior of Titan," Atreya said in a telephone interview.

The process is called serpentinisation and is basically the reaction between water and rocks at 100 to 400 degrees Celsius (212 to 752 degrees Fahrenheit), he said.

Now how is that rock getting hot? Chemical reaction?

In serpentinisation, geothermal activity generates methane through the oxidation of metals such as iron, chromium and magnesium which could be contained in crustal rocks below Titan's surface.

Another possibility is that methane molecules are trapped in a water-ice matrix called clathrate (or methane hydrate).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/natu … 196261.stm

#27 2005-01-27 16:23:54

Euler

Europa is about half as far from Jupiter as Titan is from Saturn and Jupiter's 'surface' gravitational acceleration is 2.5 times stronger than Saturn's.
   This means Saturn's gravitational influence on Titan is less than 10% of Jupiter's influence on Europa, which means tidal heating of Titan is less than 10% that of Europa.

Tidal affects come from the difference in the strength of gravity between different areas of the moon.  This means that while Titan has experiences about 10% as much gravity as Europa, the tides are actually only around 5% as strong.

Based on data collected by Huygens' instruments, Sushil Atreya, a professor of planetary science at the University of Michigan in the United States, believes a hydro-geological process between water and rocks deep inside the moon could be producing the methane.

Note the words "deep inside."  Liquid water on Titan is like magma on Earth, though it is probably buried even deeper.  You will not be able to find liquid water by sticking a little thermometer in the ground.

#28 2005-01-27 16:41:43

DonPanic
Website

LO

Dear vistors, please do not feed the trolls.  roll

Not even by throwing them peanuts and bananas trought the bars ?  ???

In serpentinisation, geothermal activity generates methane through the oxidation of metals such as iron, chromium and magnesium which could be contained in crustal rocks below Titan's surface.

How much metal can you expect on Titan when Titan density is 1.8 ?

#29 2005-01-27 18:41:30

ERRORIST

The water makes it near the surface like the Earths Magma makes it to Earths surface. A simple thermometer will prove it. The mud is muddy water mixed with methane gas. Geothermal, chemical reaction and tidal forces add up to keep it warm just under the surface. The warmth causes the vapor to seep up from the soil thus creating Titans atmosphere.

#30 2005-01-27 18:54:14

Grypd

Folks I disagree with Errorist but still I do not believe calling someone a Moron or mentally unbalanced is really the best way to have a Forum.

Could we please stop this as peoples frustrations are beginning to appear into these forums.

Rational discussion is fine but name calling is NOT.

On another thread Cindy states people refuse to speak to her as they disagree with her honestly held views. I may not agree with her views but that is immaterial as She has the right to those views and ostracising someone due to honest views speaks of a pettieness that is below anyone on this forums.

We will have problems with how our individual countries and perspectives differ. But then again it has been said that variety is the spice of life, so this variety should provide strength not be our undoing.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#31 2005-01-27 19:07:40

ERRORIST

Folks I disagree with Errorist but still I do not believe calling someone a Moron or mentally unbalanced is really the best way to have a Forum.

I love being called names.GCN he is my buddy!!! big_smile

#32 2005-01-27 19:10:07

Euler

The water makes it near the surface like the Earths Magma makes it to Earths surface. A simple thermometer will prove it. The mud is muddy water mixed with methane gas. Geothermal, chemical reaction and tidal forces add up to keep it warm just under the surface. The warmth causes the vapor to seep up from the soil thus creating Titans atmosphere.

The mud is liquid methane mixed with water ice and other minerals.  Titan is far too cold to have liquid water at the surface.  A warm day on Titan is much colder than a cold day on Antarctica.

#33 2005-01-27 19:23:15

ERRORIST

The mud is liquid methane mixed with water ice and other minerals.  Titan is far too cold to have liquid water at the surface.  A warm day on Titan is much colder than a cold day on Antarctica.

Could be but I think it is warm enough just below the surface to have liquid water due to geothermal energy, tidal forces and chemical reactions. A warm day on Titan is much colder than a cold day on Antartica. This is true. However, under the surface it could still be warm thus causing vapor to seep out thus creating the atmosphere.

#34 2005-01-28 00:56:49

GraemeSkinner
Website

Here is a story that supports my theory.
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/a … 50127.html

"Based on data collected by Huygens' instruments" Surely if you have lost all respect for the ESA errorist you won't want to use any of the data their probe provides. So try and support your theory without using data from Huygens.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#35 2005-01-28 02:55:40

Shaun Barrett

Grypd:-

Could we please stop this as peoples frustrations are beginning to appear into these forums.

Grypd, you're perfectly correct, of course.
    I consciously try to avoid unpleasantness, since it rarely serves any useful purpose. However, most of us here are only human (aside from a few reptiloids from Alpha Draconis, according to CC  big_smile  ), and ERRORIST can be irritatingly cheerful in his maddening persistence!
    Once dear old ERRORIST gets an idea into his head, it doesn't seem to matter how much data is stacked against him, or how many well-informed people disagree with him publicly for demonstrably good reasons, or how much patience goes into the various explanations offered to him by those people, he still insists on hammering away at the same unlikely scenarios as though everything is up for grabs .. even quagmires of muddy water on Titan!

While it's true we should all exercise restraint and refrain from voicing our frustrations in offensive terms, surely ERRORIST should be required to afford us a similar courtesy and stop spouting illogical absurdities, simply because they fit into how he wants the world to be!

[That's not to say I don't have a sneaking affection for the guy. I've been known to air a few 'out-there' concepts myself!
     But not when everything, and everybody, is against me for what are plainly good reasons!   roll   smile  ]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#36 2005-11-09 21:39:08

EuroLauncher

I have lost all respect for esa. I won't even capitialize it anymore. JPL on the other hand is the best. I hope we don't ever use anything built by esa for our Mars missions of any kind. That would be disastrous.

why do you say this

?

Board footer