New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#176 2005-01-21 22:24:36

GraemeSkinner
Website

Re: Heliopolis

Its worth mentioning here that David Lunt died this week. sad

from Sky & Telescope article

January 18, 2005 | David Lunt, founder and principal optical designer of Coronado Technology Group in Tucson, Arizona, died on January 16th after a 22-month battle with cancer. He was 62 years old.
Coronado burst on the scene in the late 1990s with a new line of affordable, convenient hydrogen-alpha solar filters. These narrowband filters enable users of small telescopes to observe the Sun's chromosphere...................

Full article is http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1444_1.asp]here

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#177 2005-01-22 06:43:45

Palomar

Its worth mentioning here that David Lunt died this week. sad

from Sky & Telescope article

January 18, 2005 | David Lunt, founder and principal optical designer of Coronado Technology Group in Tucson, Arizona, died on January 16th after a 22-month battle with cancer. He was 62 years old.
Coronado burst on the scene in the late 1990s with a new line of affordable, convenient hydrogen-alpha solar filters. These narrowband filters enable users of small telescopes to observe the Sun's chromosphere...................

Full article is http://skyandtelescope.com/news/article_1444_1.asp]here

Graeme

*Wow, how sad.  Rest in peace.  His passing should indeed be noted.  There are far too many "unsung heros" of science as it is!  The article mentions the Personal Solar Telescope and the purchase by Meade Instruments; that news broke in October and I posted that news then; "Meade Steps Into the Sunshine."  That article is linked to the bottom of your link as well.  His wife, Geraldine Hogan, cofounded Coronado with him. 

We amateur astronomers sure owe him -- and them -- a debt of gratitude.  I remember amateur solar astronomy being limited essentially to projecting Sol's image on a piece of paper or a screen; anything else was the domain of "the big guns" (and even their images weren't all that impressive).  Certainly couldn't have imagined a PST -- especially for just $500?  And the H-alpha filters so affordable, etc. 

I guess my Sky & Telescope e-newsletter is running late; I haven't seen this article yet.  Thanks for the heads up. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#178 2005-01-22 17:45:00

Palomar

*Indescribably beautiful.  Sol gives, we receive.  :;):  The results from Sunspot 720's X-class solar flares. 

From over Scotland (Mr. Henderson, who took this photo [yes, that's the Moon in it], also took the photo in my current sig):

Henderson3.jpg

http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/gall … 4.htm]More:  Current Aurora Gallery

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#179 2005-01-25 06:01:14

Palomar

There is much to be gleaned from SOHO's findings, even in a "peripheral" sense.  Besides the protons issue, SOHO has revealed hundreds of sungrazing comets thanks to the coronagraphs. 

Interesting how one hand washes the other, and unexpected consequences to a study may prove even more beneficial than anticipated

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/s … .html]SOHO Contest

*As SBird (wish you'd come back!) mentioned months ago, SOHO has been nearly dead 3 times -- but keeps going!  The article points out SOHO wasn't designed to find comets; its main job is to monitor Sol.

--Cindy

#180 2005-01-26 05:48:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

Where Does Visible Light Come From?

Before the Big Bang there was no space-time continuum - the immaterial medium through which all things energy and matter move.

Once the space-time continuum popped into existence, one of the most moving of things to take form were the units of light physicists call "photons".

#181 2005-01-26 07:41:14

Cobra Commander

As requested, locked before collapse.

Continue in Heliopolis II.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Board footer