New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#51 2005-01-16 20:00:42

ERRORIST

Re: Piss Poor Hygens Camrea Shots - I am tired of the BS!

Worst images ever award goes to Huygens. Images from the first Xerox Machine from the sixties while running out of ink look better than that crap on that web site. Thank God for JPL they wouldn't even show that garbage.

#52 2005-01-16 20:09:36

Stephen

This guy is correct. ESA is holding out on us for some reason. If JPL had run this part of the mission we would have seen the decent video yesterday.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-05g … d-05g.html

I don't agree with everything the author of that piece said. Parts of it sound an awful lot like sour grapes, and some of it--eg "this inept, anti-intellectual, reactionary, elitist approach to showing the taxpayers what their euros bought" and "[t]hey may superficially look like modern liberal states, but the old habits can still be found if you scrape off the camouflage. The people in charge no longer wear plate armour and mostly don't inherit their jobs, but they are still aristocrats at heart"--would probably be regarded in most places, let alone Europe, as bordering on the offensive. (Indeed, one can almost detect a hint of aristocrat-like intellectual snobbery.)

That said, he seemed to be right about the clapping (if you tune in to http://esamultimedia.esa.int/video/huyg … .wmv]press conference 2 from the http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huy … x.html]the ESA's Huygen's page-- it's 1.7 mb & you'll need Windows Media Player--it does, at one point--annoyingly--seem to go on forever, as if the assembled boffins having earnt their day in the sun wanted to bask in the glory; which to be fair was certainly well-deserved and only their due, but it sure tested the patience of those of us listening in smile) and the showing of the pics.

But I guess the ESA still needs a few lessons on how to run a media event, it doubtless not having had as much experience at such things--at least all by itself--as NASA & JPL. smile

======
Stephen

#53 2005-01-16 20:43:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

ERRORIST: you try to compare the Mer pictures to those of the hygens lest you forget the mer camera was selected and installed from cutting edge designs that are only at most 3 years old. Then again the hygens were put in place more than 7 maybe 8 years ago. Can you just picture where we were just that long ago with the invention we all take for granted called a PC was being used by all. I can tell you I was using a 386 maybe running at 40 mhz that barely had 16mb of memory and a hard drive that was at best 200mb in size. Nowadays we are using machines that are 2G for processor speed 686 or avalon with 256mb of ram on a stick with 80g drives. So you see how far technolgy has come since then.

Be patient ERRORIST the images of titan will come, they will as long it stays running.

#54 2005-01-16 20:53:28

ERRORIST

My point is they already have them but they are not showing them. Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo on esa!

#55 2005-01-16 21:00:17

SpaceNut
Administrator

I take it that you have been to the ESA portal :band:

#56 2005-01-16 21:03:51

ERRORIST

Yep, same ole pics where are the 350 they say they have. They have them but they are not showing them.

#57 2005-01-16 21:13:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

Following some more link on other pages the network gives a time out error connection refused. It would appear that there servers are being over welmed by the volume of traffic and is being very direct on who has immediate access to Hygens and Titan images.

edit
Nasa Cassini Hygens site more here if you have not been yet.

#58 2005-01-16 21:37:14

ERRORIST

Exactly what I am talking about.They have them but they are not showing them to the taxpayers. Others are first.BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on esa.

Same ole pics!

#59 2005-01-16 22:09:30

GCNRevenger

Yeah, I vote for "spoiled brat" too

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#60 2005-01-16 22:17:56

ERRORIST

Exactly, a big spoiled brat sitting here eating a big bowl of ice cream. big_smile  big_smile

#61 2005-01-17 00:54:34

LtlPhysics
Banned

Some of the pictures taken during the descent are stellar, and are likely to be added to the Ring World essay. It will take a little time, that's all.

I think the chemistry is more revealing, but I haven't heard anything about it. Any clues, anyone?

#62 2005-01-17 07:38:59

DonPanic
Website

Worst images ever award goes to Huygens. Images from the first Xerox Machine from the sixties while running out of ink look better than that crap on that web site. Thank God for JPL they wouldn't even show that garbage.

LO
Xerox do not deliver Titan photos
As there is actually no other Titan close photos to comptete with huygens'ones,
you are saying very stupid things
your thoughts are the garbage

#63 2005-01-17 12:19:14

Stu
Website

Sigh...

If only we'd seen this ad sooner, would have saved us all a lot of heartache...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/ … jpg]camera ad

big_smile

Stuart Atkinson

Skywatching Blog: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cumbrian-Sky[/url]

Astronomical poetry, including mars rover poems: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/TheVerse[/url]

#64 2005-01-17 23:12:14

GraemeSkinner
Website

Yeah, I vote for "spoiled brat" too

I'd have to agree GCNR its "Waa Waa Waa I Want It NOW!"

Seriously though, if this thread was on a newsserver at least I'd have had chance to filter it out, the title for a start its not what you'd call well written  big_smile  (abusive and 2 spelling mistakes should probably give us a good idea as to the poster). Later contents of the thread could be considered racist, which is just poor form.

If people are just wanting pretty pictures to look at and make up theories about different shapes they can see in shadows, then there is no need to send probes at all - just stick an artist in a room for a few days and let them crack on. I'd rather see a few raw images to know that the camera was working and give them time to clean them properly, and we should remember that the mission was not just a disposable camera to Titan mission - but a science mission. Real science is not done by guessing then running with the first idea that comes to you, real science takes time.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#65 2005-01-19 15:40:38

ERRORIST

Aren't we all spoiled in some way?
Hey when the probe went through the surface did they get any temperature readings of the mud?

#66 2005-01-19 15:53:21

GCNRevenger

Hey, and moral relativism too... "but everyone does it"

There comes a point where your idiocy crosses the line into being a troll Errorist, this thread and your Deep Impact nonsense straddle it.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#67 2005-01-19 16:02:13

ERRORIST

Not a troll at all GCN just a person who asks Y alot!

#68 2005-01-19 19:17:02

dicktice

ERRORIST: YOU ARE A GREAT BIG . . . KIDDER, RIGHT?

#69 2005-01-20 07:34:16

ERRORIST

Actually, I am still a "GREAT BIG KID". big_smile

Board footer