New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-01-05 17:01:31

ERRORIST

Re: Deep impact mission sounds scary!!!

I don't like this misson. There are better ways to study this thing. Land on it and do the probing!! Just what we need to do. Blow this thing to bits so it can rain down on us,possibly.It ain't worth the chance.

"The impact spacecraft will fly head-on into the comet at 23,000 mph. According to A'Hearn, some scientists think the impact could fracture the comet into several pieces, while others believe the impact will merely compress the cometary materials."

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/launcher … s-05b.html

#2 2005-01-06 00:32:52

GraemeSkinner
Website

We already have a DI thread in which you have already postedhttp://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3432]Thread Link can we keep them together rather than have new threads spread all over the board.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#3 2005-01-06 04:51:29

ERRORIST

I did look for one but I could not find it so I posted this one.

#4 2005-01-06 05:53:35

Palomar

I did look for one but I could not find it so I posted this one.

*ERRORIST, you have repeatedly -- at least 5 times by my unofficial count -- brought up the topic of your fear of the Deep Impact Mission.

Could you please make this your final thread on the topic?  ???  I know you have created at least one other thread about Deep Impact regarding your concerns.  That's *in addition to* the original thread created by SpaceNut.  You've brought the issue up in various other threads, to the point of going off-topic in them.  :-\

It takes a lot to annoy me, but you are succeeding brilliantly.

GCNRevenger and I, and others, have already previously addressed YOUR fears (no one else at the boards exhibits this level of concern and fright but you). 

It's a science mission.  That's it.  Please get over it, okay?

Your repeated attempts at fearmongering at this message board, in a variety of topics, is getting tiresome. 

Thanks.

--Cindy

P.S.:  The chances of any cometary debris from DI flying over into our direction and hitting Earth is nil.  In fact, I dare say the chances this happening are none, based on the great distance of the comet from us.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2005-01-06 07:01:05

Adrian
Website

This thread is being locked. Let it rest. There's another thread about this mission anyway.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

Board footer