New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#151 2004-11-28 08:21:28

Palomar

Re: Interesting MOC pictures - Place to post interesting MOC pictures

*Someone posted the first-ever photo of Earth and our Moon from Mars when that pic was released in 2003; but that was before REB started this thread and I don't remember which folder it was posted in (likely one of the old "New Discoveries" threads).

I don't recall http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2003/05/22/]this collection of images being posted previously, though.

Includes Jupiter and 3 of the Galilean satellites (Io was behind Jupiter at the time, and also Jupiter's Great Red Spot had rotated out of view).  I've seen this image before, separately.

Also a photo of Earth and Jupiter within the same frame.  Am certain I haven't seen this pic until now. 

Includes Alignment of Earth and Jupiter chart as well.

--Cindy  :up:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#152 2004-11-29 02:27:23

GraemeSkinner
Website

I don't recall http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2003/05/22/]this collection of images being posted previously, though.
Includes Jupiter and 3 of the Galilean satellites (Io was behind Jupiter at the time, and also Jupiter's Great Red Spot had rotated out of view).  I've seen this image before, separately.
Also a photo of Earth and Jupiter within the same frame.  Am certain I haven't seen this pic until now.

If those pic's don't inspire the sci-fi writers amongst us I don't know what will :;):   I can remember seeing the Earth/Jupiter pic but I think the link was on another newsgroup (uk.sci.astronomy if I remember correctly).
Don't remember seeing the Jupiter and moons pic however, nice!
Now how about a webcam of the future, having the webcam located on the martian surface tracking Earth as much as possible. :up:

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#153 2004-11-29 05:18:18

Shaun Barrett

Beautiful!   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#154 2004-11-29 10:58:42

Palomar

Graeme:  If those pic's don't inspire the sci-fi writers amongst us I don't know what will.  I can remember seeing the Earth/Jupiter pic

Shaun:  Beautiful!  smile

*The pic of Jupiter and Earth in the same frame sure drives home the realization that we live on but one in a family of planets; that MOC image touches me more than the one of Earth and the Moon.

--Cindy

::EDIT:: 

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=14637]This looks oddly familiar.  Could easily be a pic of Midwestern countryside in the winter with a few trees spotted and a road that's been mostly cleared by a snowplow.  smile

-*-

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.htm … 4638]Since I'm at it...  "Some windblown sediment has partially filled the crater."

*Looks like a large gentle fold of sand/dust.

"The impact ejecta blanket in this case is quite bouldery."

*Yeah...can definitely see a peppering effect.  Cool.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#155 2004-11-30 12:15:32

REB
Banned
Website

Weirdly beautiful. Would be curious as to an explanation of *how* such landscape forms.
--Cindy

http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/r03_r09 … .html]That weird image, (thanks REB for finding it) is of some West Hellas Planitia rugged terrain.

To me, it smacks of water-transported sediments. It really looks a bit like exhumed remnants of the type of meandering and overlapping swirls you get in marshes and estuaries as small streams drop their sediment and keep building their banks higher until they spill over into lower ground starting a new swirl pattern to occlude older ones. Either that or built-up travertine pool rim deposits. If sedimentary, it looks like the white swirly parts might be composed of sediments much like the light colored material at Opportunity's site. I wonder if we might find it too riddled with blueberries.

One weird thing about it is that the areas below the swirly parts looks as if it overlain by darker material, which appears to be riddled with many sand-fileld craters. If they are craters, which they appear to be, then its kind of odd because the craters appear to be much more abundant in this small area that has sand atop it, whereas the swirly parts have very few craters with the very noticeable exception being that crater smack-dab in the middle of the stream near the right of the image, the stream apparently seems to push around the crater hole bulging around it on either side as if to compensate. go figure...
???

That is the strangest, weirdest landscape I have seen on Mars, and probably in the Solar System.

The area the picture shows is close to the lowest point on Mars. I do not know the Long/Lat of the lowest point. I might have to dig out a National Geographic map of Mars that shows the lowest point.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#156 2004-12-03 12:03:18

Palomar

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=14637]This looks oddly familiar.  Could easily be a pic of Midwestern countryside in the winter with a few trees spotted and a road that's been mostly cleared by a snowplow.  smile

*Here's another: http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=14678] North Polar Layers  I like the polar features best of all the pics.  Such grace in nature.  wink

--Cindy

#157 2004-12-09 05:49:03

Shaun Barrett

marsexp-channels-reull-vallis-bg.jpg
    Hey Ma, looka me .. I'm posting pictures!!   tongue

[Sorry for the exuberance but this is big news for me. I'm the sort of person who only has to approach within 2 metres of a computer and it explodes, taking out the Server at the same time!
                                           big_smile  ]

Anyhow, this is Reull Vallis, on the eastern slopes of Hellas Basin, about 42 deg.S; 102 deg.E.
    For an analysis of the image, http://www.spacedaily.com/news/marsexpr … html]CLICK HERE.   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#158 2004-12-09 07:20:35

Palomar

Hey Ma, looka me .. I'm posting pictures!!   tongue

[Sorry for the exuberance but this is big news for me. I'm the sort of person who only has to approach within 2 metres of a computer and it explodes, taking out the Server at the same time!
                                           big_smile  ]

*Congrats, Shaun!  And I like your avatar too (of course!!).  smile

--Cindy

#159 2004-12-16 07:13:25

Palomar

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.htm … 14]Gullies & Sand

*Nice contrasts.  Apparently the dark material is windblown sand (why so dark though?).  Interesting. 

--Cindy

#160 2004-12-16 10:09:07

Shaun Barrett

Cindy:-

Nice contrasts.  Apparently the dark material is windblown sand (why so dark though?).  Interesting.

Yes. The low-lying sand is so often dark like that. Puzzling .. at least to me!  ???

#161 2004-12-16 10:16:07

GraemeSkinner
Website

Cindy:-

Nice contrasts.  Apparently the dark material is windblown sand (why so dark though?).  Interesting.

Yes. The low-lying sand is so often dark like that. Puzzling .. at least to me!  ???

I know its a rash thing to say, but its almost like a damp shoreline you see and the beach. Probably just a strange distribution of different sand types though.

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#162 2004-12-16 19:29:45

Shaun Barrett

Graeme:-

I know its a rash thing to say, but its almost like a damp shoreline you see and the beach. Probably just a strange distribution of different sand types though.

This has been discussed before and erosional explanations in keeping with NASA's viewpoint have been suggested. But I still can't help speculating.
    Those interesting transient dark streaks which first caused a stir back in about 2000 keep coming to mind. Although there was some dissent by the 'sandy-landslide' advocates, the general consensus was that the streaks were most likely intermittent briney flows from a subsurface water supply.
    The fact that the dark low-lying areas in so many photos have well-delineated borders, which seem to follow local contour lines rather like the surface of a body of water, makes me suspicious that the dark colour of the sand may indicate areas which are also subject to soaking by subsurface brine(?). However, if the sand is darker because of brine, shouldn't slow evaporation of the water into the dry martian air leave behind a lighter-coloured salt crust?
                                             ???
    'Tis a puzzlement!  :;):

#163 2004-12-17 23:38:30

GraemeSkinner
Website

Yes if it was brine soaked I would expect the area to be lighter once evaporation had removed any liquid, the caption to the photograph says that the darker areas are caused by windblown sand. Perhaps the darker sand has the right density to be picked up and blown in large amounts compared to other martian materials causing the dark areas.
Myself, I'm quite happy to imagine damp sand up there  big_smile

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#164 2004-12-18 07:45:52

Palomar

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=14837]Wind streaks

*...across lava flows and craters.  A "busy" photo.  Cool about those wind streaks.

--Cindy

#165 2004-12-22 16:35:31

Palomar

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.htm … 0]Um...how to describe?

*Nearly-defrosted dunes.  Reminds me of certain types of blood cells seen under a microscope.  :-\  Are north polar dunes in late spring.

The dunes beneath the frost are dark because they contain minerals rich in reduced (unoxidized) iron.

-*-

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=14863]Does this look familiar?

*As in the rings around a certain planet (named Saturn)??  :laugh:  North polar slope.

Slopes in the north polar region of Mars exhibit outcroppings of layered material. No one knows the composition of the layers, but the uppermost layers of are thought to be a mixture of dust and ice in some proportion. Lower layers in the north polar region are thought to include sand.

N. polar region pics are among my favorites of Mars.

--Cindy

#166 2004-12-22 18:25:57

Shaun Barrett

Wow!   yikes
    Yes, that picture of a north polar slope on Mars could very easily be mistaken, at a cursory glance, for the rings of Saturn. Isn't it amazing how Mother Nature repeats her favourite designs in such diverse places, a la Mandelbrot and his fractals.
                                             :up:    smile

#167 2004-12-27 16:57:43

Palomar

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.htm … 4892]Looks like ceiling plaster  tongue 

*Well...maybe not the correct word ("plaster"), but looks like the rough ceilings so popular in apartments in the late 1970s and throughout the 1980s, at least here in the U.S. 

-*-

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.htm … 2]Cemented sand (Herschel Dunes) and yardangs

*Interesting contrast. 

-*-

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap031129.html]Phobos over Mars

*I'm sneaking a Viking 2 image in here.  Nyaaaaa.   :;):  Not sure this has been posted previously.  Definitely not the high quality we enjoy now, but can see impact craters on Phobos in the pic and outlines of calderas on Ascraeus Mons.  :up:

--Cindy

#168 2005-01-02 08:35:11

Palomar

*Oh my god...

Tikhonravovs]http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=14961]Tikhonravov's Eyebrows

My, my...what a lush pair of eyebrows they are, too!  I'm just waiting for the "eyes" to blink.  :laugh:  That's an amazing image (understatement).

-*-

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.htm … 4960]North Polar Dunes 

Not a repeat of previous images in the same region.  Quite a contrast.  Wish we could see the image in color.  :-\

--Cindy

#169 2005-01-02 17:52:48

hubricide

I'm waiting for E = mc2 to show up, myself.

#170 2005-01-04 15:32:29

Palomar

(Lol...hubricide)

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=14978]*Now here's a collection of MOC images!

Includes Spirit's track marks, lander, parachute, backshell, a new dust devil streak, etc.  :up:

--Cindy

#171 2005-01-06 08:18:48

REB
Banned
Website

I find it interesting that from above, the view is similar to the cratered surface on the moon. But at the MER’s level, I don’t see moonlike craters, just hollows. The view from MER looks very Earthlike.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#172 2005-01-06 20:01:37

Shaun Barrett

I find it interesting that from above, the view is similar to the cratered surface on the moon. But at the MER’s level, I don’t see moonlike craters, just hollows. The view from MER looks very Earthlike.

That very same thought crossed my mind just the other day!  smile

#173 2005-01-19 13:04:19

Yang Liwei Rocket

its quiet a picture , very good mission

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#174 2005-01-21 13:48:49

Palomar

Becquerels]http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=15176]Becquerel's Sediment

The layered material may have been deposited in an intracrater lake, early in martian history. The material has subsequently been exposed and eroded by wind. Dark sand dunes have accumulated along the southern margin (bottom of image) of the outcrop exposure.

*Looks like a frozen mud slide.

--Cindy

#175 2005-01-21 20:04:50

Shaun Barrett

Hmm.
    More of those "dark sand dunes", which always seem to accumulate in the lowest regions and so often have sharply delineated borders with the neighbouring lighter-coloured material.
    Hasn't anybody aimed a spectrometer at any of these extraordinarily dark areas, to see what these peculiar "sands" are made of?
    Or isn't anybody at NASA even mildly curious about them?   ???

Board footer