New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-12-20 17:35:59

Palomar

Re: Ursid Meteor Shower - Coma Berenicids & Delta Arietids

(Dang it!  This -isn't- about the Coma Berenicids nor the Delta Arietids -- please *ignore* reference to them in the Subject Line; I got my dates mixed up, they both peaked this morning [not tomorrow], etc., etc.  Sorry.  I didn't realize I hadn't erased reference to them in the Subject Line until the thread was already created)

Okay, short notice about the Ursids, but a reminder was posted only today at one of the astronomy web sites and I'd forgotten about it.  I've never watched this meteor shower, IIRC.  I might step out and look for it, considering I'm up so early anyway. 

This is a "delayed reaction" meteor shower:

"In the pre-dawn hours of this morning ... the Ursid meteor shower! Cruising around the Sun about every thirteen and a half years, Comet 8P/Tuttle sheds a little skin. Although it never passes inside of Earth's orbit, some six years later we pass through its debris stream.  Not so unusual? Then think again, because it takes as much as six centuries before the meteoroid trail is effected enough by Jupiter's gravitation to pass into our atmosphere."

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish … 4](Article quote was taken from)

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer