New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-09-27 09:41:35

Palomar

Re: Photos of Mars

*I have been trying very hard to relocate photos of Mars which were, I am quite sure, formerly on display (albeit with some digging through links) at the Mars Pathfinder web site.  In particular, I'm seeking to relocate black and white photos of Mars, particularly of its southern hemisphere and the geological formation called "Aztec City" (or something very similar to that).

I wrote down the specific links, but lost the paper I'd jotted them down on.  I have ransacked the web site, to no avail.  Perhaps they removed those images, but I'd like to find them again.  Can anyone help?  For some reason, I prefer the black and white photos of Mars to the color photos; the white areas of Mars appears silver, for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2002-09-27 10:10:55

Palomar

*I've been hunting around at the Mars Pathfinder site again.  There are black and white photos there, but not the collection I'd been searching for (emphasis on the southern hemisphere)...unless I'm searching in the wrong areas.  sad

This particular photo is stunning; Marsian sunset! 

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/im … ss24_1.jpg

The caption beneath reads (partial quote, as two photos were involved, but I'm referring only one of the photos):  "The blue color near the Sun is not caused by clouds of water ice, but by the Martian dust itself. The dust in the atmosphere absorbs blue light, giving the sky its red color, but it also scatters some of the blue light into the area just around the Sun because of its size. The blue color only becomes apparent near sunrise and sunset, when the light has to pass through the largest amount of dust. The close up on the right shows the red sky in the background and the blue around the Sun approximately as they would appear to the human eye. The color of the Sun itself is not right -- the Sun was over exposed in each of the 3 color images that were used to make this picture. The true color of the Sun itself may be near white or slightly bluish."

I notice the sun doesn't appear bloated or abnormally large on the Mars horizon, i.e. lack of atmosphere to create the optical illusion which, here on Earth, makes the sun appear swollen near our horizons.  Constellations and the moon also appear much larger near our horizons.  Marsians apparently won't enjoy these atmospheric effects...for a while, anyway.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#3 2002-09-28 09:46:38

Byron

Here's a couple of links to various images of Mars that may be worthwhile...

Nine Planets - Mars

Mars Intro

Mars Renderings...wet past

The first two sites are good "jumping off" places to find scads of Martian images, and the last link is the website of an artist in Holland that has done dozens of digital renderings of a hypothetical young Mars, with oceans, etc.  Pretty interesting stuff here...

Hope this helps
wink

B

#4 2002-09-28 12:24:51

Palomar

Here's a couple of links to various images of Mars that may be worthwhile...

Pretty interesting stuff here...

Hope this helps
wink

B

*I'll say!  Thanks...this is better stuff than I've been able to find yet.  smile

--Cindy

Board footer