New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-11-19 08:10:43

ERRORIST

Re: Attosecond Pulse

Wow impressive. I wonder if they can capture a photon electron collision in this manner?

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/chip-tec … -04zo.html

#2 2004-11-19 09:30:05

GCNRevenger

Not really, since the laser itself is a stream of photons, if you try to use this device it will alter what you are trying to look at.

Plus down on the scales you are talking about, especially with low speed electrons, then the Uncertainty Principle takes over and makes it difficult to accuratly observe exactly what happens.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2004-11-19 09:32:50

ERRORIST

Not inside a nano tube where the diameter is just a few atoms across.

#4 2004-11-19 09:46:51

GCNRevenger

Nope, uncertainty, chemistry, and quantum mechanics will prevent that.

-Uncertainty cannot be circumvented by confining the working dimensions, it is a fundimental law of the universe. What will happen is the electron will actually change size if you slow it down and its behavior will still be unpredictable.

-Chemistry of nanotubes of this size dictates that there is an extendend aromatic electron cloud that stretches beyond the walls of the tube, which will capture free electrons easily.

-You still can't image the electron with photons and not change the motion of the electrons, which is what you are trying to observe. Its a lose-lose situation.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

#5 2004-11-19 09:54:01

ERRORIST

-Chemistry of nanotubes of this size dictates that there is an extendend aromatic electron cloud that stretches beyond the walls of the tube, which will capture free electrons easily.

Electrons should be internal and external to the tube. If you shot a billion billion photons internally you may capture a collsion in the act.

#6 2004-11-19 09:57:05

GCNRevenger

You still are not listening to me Errorist, how do you intend to capture this collision in progress? How do you intend to see it?

By hitting it with another photon from the laser?

I hope you are seeing a problem here now... the Attosecond laser is not a magic camera that can image things without altering them, which is impossible, as the beam itself will disrupt the motion you are trying to determine.

Board footer