New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-08 14:45:31

REB
Banned
Website

Re: Genesis goes splat

Damn! sad

The ground looks wet, so maybe that helped soften the impact.

If anyone can salvage data from the wreck, NASA can.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#2 2004-09-08 16:31:41

dicktice

As early as the late 1950s we were using Fairchild "Flying Boxcars" successfuly out over the Pacific, in the vicinity of Hawaii, to snag photographic capsules dangling from parachutes with great regularity--after having reentered from polar-orbiting "Samos" spy satellites, launched from Vandenberg. I'm tempted to blame the failure of the drogue and parachute to deploy from the Genesis capsule on a design oversight due to inexperience, but the successful technique used for retrieval from LEO in the former case, may not have been adequate in the case of Genesis Mission's reentry parameters. What a rotten shame though, after all that time and effort. . . .

#3 2004-09-08 17:34:41

Grypd

It seems that even worse is that Genesis craked on landing and the samples are contaminated. Also the actual plates are very lightweight glass and have almost no structural strength

Well at least unlike the Beagle we have something to check to find out what went wrong

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#4 2004-09-08 19:03:03

Palomar

*Yes, it's a catastrophe.

--Cindy

P.S.:  This matter already being followed in 2 different threads; one of which has been following Genesis for *months* now. 

Ah well...kudos to you, Robert, if you can get a good conversation rolling on it.  Frankly, I'm still feeling s-i-c-k over the matter, and will be for a while.  ::shakes head::  It was my baby.  sad   :;):  I hope so sincerely some science can be salvaged from those wafers.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2004-09-08 23:05:46

Rxke

What a Murphy...

I was sooooo certain it would work without a hitch, and now this...

That video in Cindy's link, boy...  sad  Imagine the feelings of the scientists and engineers who've been working on this, all those years. Must be realyy, really sickening to see this happening live.

#6 2004-09-10 13:24:51

mck
Banned

I searched for the genesis splat also, and this was the only thread I found. To go through 25 forums on this website to find those 2 threads is a feat in itself.

According to the enquiry into last space shuttle crash, NASA got incredibly sloppy before 2003, so this could be another result of that.

Let's hope the next one comes in ok in 18 months time, the one that picked up 'stuff' from that comet.

people who worry about GM crops, should now sh@t bricks over this disaster. I don't worry about either.

"That video in Cindy's link, boy... "
which link???

#7 2004-09-10 13:51:52

Palomar

I searched for the genesis splat also, and this was the only thread I found. To go through 25 forums on this website to find those 2 threads is a feat in itself.

"That video in Cindy's link, boy... "
which link???

*Use the "Search" feature.  smile  Located at the top of the New Mars web page:  Search - Members - Help 

No one is expected to comb through every folder.  wink

Most of the discussion about Genesis has been going on http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3260]in this thread, created last week.  (Sorry Robert...the question was raised).

As for the link I had in my sig, which Rik referred to:  It was one of the 1st space.com articles to come along.  The same information is in the "Snag & Bag" thread.  I deleted the link from my sig once the news had "gotten around."

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#8 2004-09-10 17:02:03

mck
Banned

There's always a smart arse that says use the search button, but I came on here and found what I was looking for straight away  (i.e - this thread).

If you're going go on about 2 other threads then just post  a link or shut up.

Even if I did search for 'genesis' on here, it doesn't neccessarily mean I would find the two threads you were talking about.

Why don't you just go on google and do a search for 'smartarse' then you'll learn more about yourself.

#9 2004-09-10 17:06:21

djellison

There's always a smart arse that says use the search button, but I came on here and found what I was looking for straight away  (i.e - this thread).

If you're going go on about 2 other threads then just post  a link or shut up.

Even if I did search for 'genesis' on here, it doesn't neccessarily mean I would find the two threads you were talking about.

Why don't you just go on google and do a search for 'smartarse' then you'll learn more about yourself.

Grow up, learn some basic forum etiquette, then come back when you dont feel like being such an idiot.

#10 2004-09-10 19:25:26

Shaun Barrett

I tend to agree with Djellison about etiquette.
    Mck, this site has often been praised, quite rightly, for the restraint, forebearance, and straight out good manners shown by the contributors. These attributes have resulted in many people becoming members here, for the simple reason that it's a refreshing change from the less cordial atmosphere they've encountered elsewhere.
    Good manners encourage open discussion. People aren't afraid to put forward opinions because they don't anticipate mindless rage and insults as a response. They anticipate, and usually get, a reasoned reply. In general, even if we can't agree on something, we put aside our sometimes frustrating differences for the sake of all the enlightening discussions and the fun and friendship we find here at New Mars.

Cindy was only trying to be her usual helpful self when you threw 'smart arse' at her. Even if you never apologise to her, past experience indicates she'll probably forgive your petulance and give you the benefit of the doubt. (Not sure I would, though.)
    You've only just arrived here, Mck. Why blot your copy book and create ill-feeling when there's so much to be gained?
                                              ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#11 2004-09-11 05:26:39

Rxke

Cindy, can you retrace the link with the video? I thought it was rather good. Me bad for referring to a link in a sig, which tends to change often...

Oh, BTW: the other thread *was* named quite err... vaguely, wasn't it? (might''ve been renamed by now..)

#12 2004-09-11 06:13:16

Palomar

*The thread http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3599]has a name-change request.  That's a link to the explanation (why it's in the Science & Technology folder, etc.)  Also, it was created on August 30 and originally meant to discuss not only Genesis but also another current and future sample retrieval missions.  AFTER THE CRASH it evolved into discussion about the Genesis crash aftermath (and PRIOR TO the crash I'd been following the mission for months in the "Heliopolis" thread -- pertaining to the Sun, of course, and in the expectations of receiving Solar science information). 

A couple of regular New Mars members and myself have a long-running interest in Genesis; apparently others only "care" now that it's crashed.  I find that quite sad.

*Using the Search feature with "Genesis" would have readily yielded up the threads to anyone.*

And yet another thread pertaining to Genesis was created by someone after this one of Robert's -- despite the name Robert gave it ("Genesis" up front!).  So apparently some people aren't paying attention regardless.

--Cindy  smile

P.S.:  The original thread already has 22 replies and counting, and lots of information retrieved from articles.

Discussing Genesis is getting to be about as tangled an affair as what's left of it.  From now on I'll be continuing to discuss the aftermath and general science of it in the thread I created on August 30.   :;):

#13 2004-11-17 23:39:22

Yang Liwei Rocket

I don't know what this 'goes splat' is about, but it sure ain't good as far as I know. I have heard that the scientists have been able to salvage some of the data, however this bad event is bound to have a negative effect on the Mars sample return mission that was being planned for the past 30 yrs

I hope NASA can improve

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#14 2004-11-17 23:52:54

ERRORIST

If Stardust was built the same way then splat goes Stardust, also. ????

#15 2004-11-18 04:03:54

djellison

If Stardust was built the same way then splat goes Stardust, also. ????

Well - the Genesis probe has been found to have several accelerometers all installed upside down.

Now - they were installed upside down, because that's what the drawings had them as - upside down.

The Startdust capsule uses the same accelerometers, but in the drawings for THAT capsule - they're drawn the right way up, so one can assume they were installed the right way up smile Thus - Stardust SHOULD be ok

Doug

#16 2004-11-18 06:11:32

Palomar

*Hi everyone.

We http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic … 60]already have a thread established to discuss Genesis and Stardust -- which predates "Genesis goes splat." 

We've been continuing to update that thread with latest news, photos, etc., with many pages and lots of info.  It was created in the Science & Technology folder as it was soon to return to Earth -- thus no longer a probe -- (and we've enough traffic in the Unmanned Probes already).

Perhaps you'd care to continue the discussion there? 

--Cindy

Board footer