New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-11-08 16:26:59

Palomar

Re: Triple Lunar Occultation

*The Moon is "busy"...

Tuesday, November 9 - Before local dawn, Jupiter will be 1 degree to the lower right of the crescent Moon. For most of us, this beautiful "sky scenery" would be pleasure enough, but for those living in eastern Canada and the north-eastern United States, something just a bit more exciting is about to happen - the Moon is going to occult Jupiter during the daylight hours!

Wednesday, November 10 - The early morning show continues as Jupiter, Venus, the very thin crescent Moon and Mars all appear with 20 degree of each other just before local dawn. For observers in other parts of the world, today is your day to observe an occultation as the Moon moves across Venus

Thursday, November 11 - Southern hemisphere viewers? You asked for it and you got it. This morning the Moon will occult Mars for East Africa and Australia

http://www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/ … ernational Occultation Timing Association

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-11-09 06:39:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Triple Lunar Occultation

Was another planned catch by those directing the Hubble operations I would say. It is to bad that we will be without a visible telescope if this one is not rescued. This type of observation probably would not be possible from ground based ones.

Board footer