New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-10-19 09:23:15

Palomar

Re: NEEMO:  Telemedicine

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/n … ml]Awesome

"It gives new meaning to the term 'housecall', but aquanauts aboard NASA's undersea research station, Aquarius, have performed simulated medical procedures with the help of a Canadian doctor 1300 miles away.

The 11-day mission, which ends October 21, is a trial run for telemedicine techniques that could be used in emergencies on the International Space Station or on future missions to the Moon or Mars..."

--Cindy  smile

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-10-19 10:23:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

But the real trick to all of this is taking a non doctor and not a nurse to allowing normal people to be able to preform such surgery by this technique. Or to at least do the diagnosis portion.

#3 2004-10-19 10:28:15

Palomar

But the real trick to all of this is taking a non doctor and not a nurse to allowing normal people to be able to preform such surgery by this technique. Or to at least do the diagnosis portion.

*Oh sure; I agree (I work in the medical field, so know something of the intricacies and complexities involved, etc.).  Diagnosing can often be very tricky, as certain symptoms can mimick others in various (but very different) syndromes and illnesses, etc.  This won't be "Insta-Doctor/Surgeon." 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2004-10-19 17:04:30

Grypd

The really interesting thing is that this has already been done on a real patient.

Back in 2001 doctors in New York did a gall bladder operation on a patient who was in Strasbourg, France at the time. The difference is that Neemo 7 appears to be more like what we would trditionally call a robot while the 2001 series of operations used a surgical table.

This sort of technology is for the most part usefull as long as there is a very short time delay, or no other choice. But if it can be done to fix very fragile people what about when we send robots to the moon or further then we can have telerobotic repair men.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#5 2004-10-20 13:00:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

Aquanauts help make telemedicine a reality
Undersea crew simulated medical surgeries with long distance help

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6281936/

041019_zeus_hmed_10a.hmedium.jpg

Board footer