New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-10-13 05:43:45

Palomar

Re: Farewell Magellan

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/venus-04m.html]Contact lost

*Controllers lost contact on Tuesday, due to low power; "exacerbated by Magellan's orientation as it performed a final experiment in the upper atmosphere of Venus."

Magellan expected to burn up in Venus' atmosphere within two days.

Gives highlights of the mission.

"Magellan also performed a first-of-a-kind 'aerobraking' maneuver by dipping into the atmosphere to reshape its orbit. This technique ... used ... in the design of the Mars Global Surveyor mission to enable the spacecraft to enter orbit around the planet Mars in 1997 using less fuel, resulting in significant savings of weight and cost."  :up:

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-10-13 08:48:50

C M Edwards

Knocked out and burned up during it's final experiment...

That's how I want to go.   cool

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#3 2004-10-13 08:57:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Or B was this another of those cost saving endings by Nasa in order to hide other accounting short falls. (I hope I am wrong)

But the science it has given us of venus would have been hard to do without it, if it were launched today under the tight budget constraints that Nasa currently has.

#4 2004-10-14 10:40:22

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap9801 … Arachnoids on Venus

Check it out.  Cool.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2004-10-15 08:08:54

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/apo … Collection of Magellan photos and information

*I found this list by searching with "Magellan" at Astropix.  A couple of these images and captions have been posted previously here at New Mars, I'm sure (in the "New Discoveries" threads).  Astropix sometimes re-posts their items, so there are some duplicates in their list.  Also, as I searched with the word "Magellan," a few items related to the Small and Large Magellanic Clouds returned in the search as well. 

--Cindy

#6 2004-10-15 10:24:19

Palomar

*In addition to the above collection, here's a really terrific resource for http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~idh/solar/en … m]Venusian Volcanic Features.  I've seen and read this before, but haven't posted it at New Mars previously. 

Check out the Pancake Volcanoes.  :laugh:  Aptly named.

Cluster Cone volcanoes, Anemone type, etc.  :up:

--Cindy

Board footer