New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-10-12 11:44:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Large Millimeter Telescope's - Mexican telescope could see first stars

While this is not a space telescope the chances for being able to see the first stars is still a huge mile stone. Telescope taking shape atop Sierra Negra, Mexico's fifth-highest peak. Being constructed at very high altitudes such that bottle o2 is available if the construction crew should faint. The astro-project is due to be operational in 2007 after a crane big enough to hoist the antenna onto the base can be brought up the steep mountainside.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6232912/

#2 2004-10-12 12:12:58

Palomar

While this is not a space telescope the chances for being able to see the first stars is still a huge mile stone. Telescope taking shape atop Sierra Negra, Mexico's fifth-highest peak. Being constructed at very high altitudes such that bottle o2 is available if the construction crew should faint. The astro-project is due to be operational in 2007 after a crane big enough to hoist the antenna onto the base can be brought up the steep mountainside.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6232912/]ht … d/6232912/

*Black Mountain telescope, eh?  Yep, lots of new 'scopes being built.  I've not heard of this one previously.  Wow, talk about dizzying heights.

"The team plans to enrich observation facilities and restrooms at the site with extra oxygen."

"Scientists hope to detect, in clouds of cold cosmic dust, waves emitted by the first stars as they were formed after the Big Bang...INAOE hopes readings from the LMT — so sensitive it would hear waves from a cellphone on the moon like a deafening crackle — will shed more light on the evolving universe."

Want to see a pic of it upon completion. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-10-12 12:36:05

Palomar

“If you imagine the universe today was 1 year old, the period we will look at with the LMT is from January 10 to the year-end,” said Aretxaga, a native of Spain’s Basque region. “We are going back to 400 million years after the Big Bang. We could discover hundreds of thousands of new galaxies.”

*I wonder what lies at the "shallow end" of the universe?  What is at the pinpoint of the beginning of the Big Bang?

Is there such a thing as eternity?  Does one universe collapse, its energies exploding into yet a new universe, and repeating the cycle...like cosmic dominoes falling over?

Really am wondering what lies behind the very first galaxy in this universe, from the direction of the Big Bang of course.

This is so compelling.  Thanks so much for posting this article, SpaceNut.  It still isn't available for reading at any of the sites I scour daily.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2004-10-12 12:49:28

MarsDog

Cosmic microwave background peak is at 160 ghz or 1.85 millimeter.
Will be interesting to see what the sky looks like at higher resolutions,
at these frequencies.
Could this telescope pick up cold Oort cloud objects also ?

Board footer