New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-08-08 12:44:04

Martian Republic

Re: Another shuttle plan for space - There using a speed rail system to space

I found another suggestion for building a next generation shuttle. I thought it would be an interesting discussion to throw out there. Any coments or questions?

cool

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com/a … glev2.html

Larry,

#2 2004-08-08 14:31:25

Rxke

Sorry to be so negative, but IMO this is totally, utterly crazy.
They want to build a low pressure tube all the way to the upper reaches of the atmosphere? I'd love to see them try. (not.) In fact, there's not one bit of info about it in the article, it's all about terrestrial trains...

Hmmm... Where did I see this before? Oh, yes: ERRORIST will love the low pressure-tube idea, GCNRevenger will pop a vein, if he sees this  big_smile

#3 2004-08-09 09:07:44

SpaceNut
Administrator

Interesting version of the space elevator.

#4 2004-08-09 09:21:34

Rxke

MartianRepublic, I take (some of) my words back. Only now I noticed I can only read part of the article... (As in your topic about gravity, where I noticed the articles were suspiciously short, so I did a double-take on this subject...)

I guess it's a subscription kind of thing?

So I can't really comment on an article I didn't read 'till the end, do I?  big_smile

#5 2004-08-09 15:24:51

Martian Republic

MartianRepublic, I take (some of) my words back. Only now I noticed I can only read part of the article... (As in your topic about gravity, where I noticed the articles were suspiciously short, so I did a double-take on this subject...)

I guess it's a subscription kind of thing?

So I can't really comment on an article I didn't read 'till the end, do I?  big_smile

I run into a lot of off beat stuff from time to time and I thought it was an interesting peace to throw out there for a discussion.

One advantage with this system is you don't have to go all the way into space so you don't have to worry about space junk crashing into it.

Larry,

#6 2004-10-08 07:37:36

quasar777

why not start way underwater, or underground?

#7 2004-10-08 08:30:41

GCNRevenger

*sees this* Ohhh boy... yet another "railway to space" idea

Um, "no" ... The tunnel needs to be roughly 40-50 miles high and about double that long to aproach orbital velocities and avoid the atmosphere almost entirely. If you stick the first mile or two of it underground, you've still got a 200,000ft high and 400,000ft long ramp with a tunnel on top to build. It ain't happening.

If you want to only go part way, you might be able to get a little speed going (low mach numbers tops), but the air resistance will really get you.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#8 2004-10-08 12:24:40

MarsDog

Good idea;

The cables could be supported by a series of Maglevs going faster than orbital speed. The centrifugal force keeping it up.

Board footer