New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-10-08 08:44:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Swift observatory Telescope - Launch Delayed

I did not find any mention of this particular telescope mentioned any where so here goes.

The Swift spacecraft is one of the largest, most sophisticated satellites in NASA's long line of Explorer missions. The mission was delayed from its original launch date of October 7 in the wake of Hurricane Frances. Then Hurricane Jeanne impacted a planned October 26 liftoff attempt. It is now scheduled to fly on November 8.

It was designed to detect gamma-ray blasts throughout the universe. Onboard X-ray Telescope and the Ultraviolet / Optical Telescope will be redirected after the Swift's Burst Alert Telescope detects a flash.

#2 2004-10-08 08:51:13

Palomar

I did not find any mention of this particular telescope mentioned any where so here goes.

http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic … 3383]Swift & JMEX thread   tongue

*Just ribbing you a bit, SpaceNut; we've all done this unintentionally at least once.  With all the space news out there, some repetition is unavoidable.  :laugh:

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-10-08 09:20:43

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well I tried by doing a simple search first on swift and here is what I got: ???

Topic Title Forum Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post

McCain defends Kerry (Pages 1 2 )
Free Chat ecrasez_l_infame 21 141 Aug. 11 2004, 07:28
Last Post: Cobra Commander

The USA Budget (Pages 1 2 3 ..4 )
Free Chat John Creighton 59 445 Aug. 03 2004, 21:09
Last Post: Cobra Commander

What if we Lose III? (Pages 1 2 3 ..12 )
The thread that wouldn't die Free Chat
Mundaka 168 1569 July 11 2004, 04:05
Last Post: Shaun Barrett

The Mysterious History Of Mars
Explore the Ancient History of Mars New Mars Articles
Michael Bloxham 7 1951 Sep. 28 2003, 23:49
Last Post: RobS

From Fram to Endurance animation
Unmanned probes cassioli 7 110 May 04 2004, 14:03
Last Post: cassioli

Suits (Pages 1 2 )
Spacesuits Human missions
RobertDyck 21 289 Jan. 31 2004, 15:15
Last Post: Rxke

Must be some of the other boxes..  sad

#4 2004-10-08 09:24:40

Palomar

Well I tried by doing a simple search first on swift and here is what I got: ???

Must be some of the other boxes..  sad

*Yeah, the Search feature can be tricky.  Basically what I do is select "All Forums" and "This Year" (if it's early into the current month).

Did you search with "This Month" - ?  It wouldn't have shown September of course, which is when the other thread was started. 

Anyhoo --

So they've delayed launch.  Time to remark my calendar!

--Cindy  smile

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2004-10-08 10:11:31

John Creighton
Website

Well I tried by doing a simple search first on swift and here is what I got:

How do you search these forms?

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

Board footer