New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-09-18 16:16:20

Adrian
Website

Re: India's cheap PSLV launcher - Only $15 million a flight!

I'd like to know people's opinions on India's cheap new rocket, as detailed in this article. The latest mission only cost $15 million USD, and:

With each new mission, the PSLV's lifting capabilities have been enhanced from a 40 kg payload in a 1980 launch until its present capacity to either place a three-tonne satellite in low-earth orbit or put a 1,050 (kg?) satellite like Wednesday's METSAT into high geo-synchronous orbit.

Now, is it me or is this pretty cheap?

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#2 2002-09-18 16:30:34

Phobos

Re: India's cheap PSLV launcher - Only $15 million a flight!

It's definately cheap as far as small payloads go but I don't know if it would be economical for a mission with a lot of tonnage.  If that thing can only lift three tonnes to LEO  you'd need 30+ launches just to put a modest 100 ton Mars Direct type infrastructure into orbit.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

Board footer