New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-07-11 14:26:54

clark

Re: First Words on Mars... an exercise - Suggest your ideas for first words

There has been some disccussion on having a First Words On Mars contest, so let's give it a whirl...

Post your "first words on mars", or your comments.

#2 2002-07-11 14:28:57

clark

Spoken by the first people on mars:

Today we speak with one voice these words for all:
To declare not for one people, or one nation,
But for all people, all nations.

Mankind can see beyond any horizon
Make real any dream
And reach beyond the limits of ourselves.

Humanity has become more than we once were,
Today, and for all time.

#3 2002-07-11 20:38:45

Palomar

In this moment is met all the blood, sweat, hopes, and tears of the Renaissance and Enlightenment: Those great eras in our history in which the resolve of people to come into their own -- to become masters of their own destiny, to demand liberty and freedom as rights inherent to them -- was first sparked.

We have left our Earthly cradle.  Great care and planning has enabled our taking our first step onto Marsian soil.  And while we care for and cultivate this new world, we will yet keep in sight someday stepping beyond our solar system and into the infinities beyond.

Ever forward!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2002-07-12 23:31:54

Shaun Barrett

Spoken by the first people on Mars:-

"Mars Base One to Earth, Mars Base One to Earth.
    Koczor and Podkletnov here .... you can tell Bob Zubrin
    and all those Mars Society people not to bother about
    Mars Direct! .....
    ....Nah na na na-nahhh na !!!"

big_smile

(Sorry ... sorry!  Feeling a bit flippant today .. ! )

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2002-07-13 08:12:14

Palomar

Spoken by the first people on Mars:-

"Mars Base One to Earth, Mars Base One to Earth.
    Koczor and Podkletnov here .... you can tell Bob Zubrin
    and all those Mars Society people not to bother about
    Mars Direct! .....
    ....Nah na na na-nahhh na !!!"

big_smile

(Sorry ... sorry!  Feeling a bit flippant today .. ! )

*Actually, I was thinking probably the first *real* words on Mars will be:  "Does this spacesuit make my butt look big?"  big_smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#6 2002-07-13 08:50:12

Byron

Now that I'm about to reach the *all important* milestone of getting that third star next to my name... tongue , here's my plug for the first words on Mars..for better or for worse...

"We come as one, representing the whole of the human race, across the vast ocean of space to the little red dot that moves about restlessly in the nighttime skies of Earth.  Now, as we place our feet upon this red ground of Mars, we take these first steps in the behalf of every man, woman, and child on the beautiful blue world we call home, and we give our heartfelt thanks to all those of whom who have helped to made this historic voyage possible.

To mark this wonderous culimation of one of humankind's greatest dreams, we hereby proclaim this date <insert date> to be the day of First Landing, to be remembered by the generations of future Martians that will surely follow us in our humble first steps on this fantastic new frontier of humanity."

Byron

#7 2002-07-13 16:37:21

Josh Cryer

?Aha! All your Mars are belong to us! You have no chance to survive make your time!? -The first person on Mars, from China.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#8 2002-07-13 20:02:28

Shaun Barrett

First woman on Mars (inspired by Cindy's comment):-

"Hey, hey .... turn off that damned camera! I think I smudged my lipstick on the suit mike!!"

big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#9 2002-07-15 06:49:34

C M Edwards

Personally, I favor:

"I knew I should have made that left turn at Albequerque."

although the famous fictional comment

"Wendell, I'm gonna' kick your butt!"

comes in a close second.  smile

However, in the interest of fairness, I will reluctantly leave the matter of the first words on Mars in the hands of the first person on Mars.  Perhaps they won't screw it up too badly.

CME

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#10 2002-07-15 09:42:57

Palomar

However, in the interest of fairness, I will reluctantly leave the matter of the first words on Mars in the hands of the first person on Mars.  Perhaps they won't screw it up too badly.

CME

*If anything, I hope whoever [if it's an individual] does make those all-historically-important first words on Mars, it WON'T be a variation of Neil Armstrong's famous first words on the moon!  sad

I get tired of people calling the 9/11 tragedy "a day that will live in infamy" ONLY because it borrows from the very memorable phrase used for Pearl Harbor.  Think of a different phrase befitting a very different sort of tragedy!

I'm sick to death of the current USA "copycat" trend; it started, IMO, in the mid-1980s and doesn't look to be stopping any time soon.  Originality is pretty much dead.

--Cindy

#11 2002-07-15 12:52:59

Adrian
Website

Great stuff guys! I'm pretty enthused about this First Words idea now. So: can people think of a list of categories that would be good to split entries up into? No more than six categories, please, and I think something like 3-6 would be good. A few of my own ideas:

o Most historic
o Most humorous
o 'Sponsored by...'

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#12 2002-07-15 12:53:02

clark

Ours is a shared history
of exploration, discovery, and understanding.

Today we stand together on the threshold of tommorrow,
and the dawning of a new age for all humanity.

The promise of Mars is fulfilled.

#13 2002-07-16 09:39:16

Palomar

Great stuff guys! I'm pretty enthused about this First Words idea now. So: can people think of a list of categories that would be good to split entries up into?

o 'Sponsored by...'

*This historic mission is sponsored by M & M/Mars, also the maker of the Milky Way candy bar.  Mars and Milky Way candy bars:  They're where YOUR sweet tooth wants to be!

Also sponsored by Dodge [??], maker of the Saturn car.  Maybe you can't drive to Saturn, but you can drive ::a::  Saturn!

Also sponsored by Wrigley's Orbit chewing gum:  Pop a stick into your mouth and go into Orbit!

--Cindy

#14 2002-09-12 11:15:03

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

"Well it's about freaking time!"[B] :angry:

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

Board footer