New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-14 11:57:39

Palomar

Re: Zero-G Flights for Public

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/ze … html]...if you're got $3000 to spare...

*Checked "Search" before posting this.  Unless it's really tucked away somewhere, apparently it's not been posted until now.

Sounds fun. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-09-14 12:51:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yup, I never know where to post items to.

The wall of Nasa seem to be coming down slowly though the efforts of alternative space ventures and though the tourist side. At least it sounds like they are getting there monies worth.

Zero-gravity flights go mainstream
U.S. company offers public chance to experience weightlessness

Such flights have long been available for researchers and astronauts from NASA and the French company Novespace, and the Russians took parabolic flight one step further by allowing tourists to buy rides on similarly outfitted IL-76 cargo jets.

But the venture involving Zero Gravity Corp. and Amerijet International, both based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is the first to win approval from the Federal Aviation Administration for public parabolic flights in the United States.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5992077/

Broward flights to offer no-gravity experience at $2,950 per flier
By ascending at a roughly 45 degree angle and then diving and ascending again as in a roller coaster, fliers first are brought to Mars-like conditions, or about one-third their weight. Next with another series of parabolas come lunar conditions, about one-sixth their weight.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/busines....s-front

#3 2004-09-14 13:53:15

Palomar

*It doesn't matter to me what private companies do or who shells out their $.

But I'm cynical enough to expect people getting "sue happy" and driving such endeavors down into the ground eventually.  ("I got a bruise -- sue, sue!") 

Also, all the touristy stuff in the private sector worries me for another reason:  Once enough people get killed or seriously injured, there'll be additional calls for stopping manned space exploration.

I prefer trained, experienced astronauts to private citizens doing stunts "up there" for now.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2004-09-14 14:28:12

SpaceNut
Administrator

Maybe then we have found another money maker for Nasa to get into in order to offset the cost of exploration.

Tourist space astronaut classes ect...

#5 2004-09-15 12:37:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

Now everybody is getting into the act of suborbital flights.

REUSABLE SPACECRAFT FOR ORBITAL TOURISM
http://en.rian.ru/rian....alert=0

Amerijet and Zero-G plan parabolic flights
http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/southfl....29.html

#6 2004-09-16 13:50:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Buzz Aldrin Returns to Lunar Gravity & Weightlessness Aboard Zero Gravity Corporation's G-Force One
Apollo 11 Astronaut Buzz Aldrin returned to Lunar gravity and weightlessness aboard G-Force One.
ZERO-G's specially modified Boeing 727-200 aircraft is the first and only company approved by the FAA to conduct Weightless Flight for the general public.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin....&EDATE=

#7 2004-09-16 14:05:18

C M Edwards

Also, all the touristy stuff in the private sector worries me for another reason:  Once enough people get killed or seriously injured, there'll be additional calls for stopping manned space exploration.

While I admit that the last thing I want to see before I die is not those Diet Rite ads plastered all over the Zero-G cabin, I also have to admit that I'm not aware of many people dying in a Vomit Comet.

This isn't going to open up the space frontier, but it's not hurting anything.  Let them play.

I prefer trained, experienced astronauts to private citizens doing stunts "up there" for now.

I would settle for trained, experienced citizens doing work if trained experienced astronauts doing stunts were not available.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#8 2004-09-16 15:19:16

Palomar

I also have to admit that I'm not aware of many people dying in a Vomit Comet.

*Me neither, and I feel you missed my point.  I also don't believe I implied people have died in a Vomit Comet.

The more private citizens we have "playing out there" are the more chances for mishaps, lawsuits, injuries and death.  If we're going to drum up public support by allowing the public to "play," we'd best play our cards wisely IMO.  This is the U.S. and there are plenty of sue-happy nuts out there who've ruined other good things with lawsuit after lawsuit.  [::edit::  This is, after all, a nation wherein a major fastfood chain (McDonald's) has been compelled to warn customers "Caution:  Contents Hot" on their coffee cups because of someone who accidentally spilled hot coffee on their hand and got a blister.  Who'd have thought coffee poured from a pot on a hotplate was...hot??  That's just one of many.  Sorry...doesn't inspire my confidence much ::end edit::]

I would settle for trained, experienced citizens doing work if trained experienced astronauts doing stunts were not available.

So long as they -are- trained...

--Cindy

#9 2004-09-17 07:39:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

Word is spreading slowly about how fun it is, but you are right to not though caution to the wind over the sue,sue mentality that some will have.

Farewell to Gravity 
This must be what it feels like when your soul leaves your body. That's all I could think when the first parabola hit, and I floated in zero gravity for the first time.

http://www.wired.com/news/space/0,2697, … _tophead_2

#10 2004-10-25 13:57:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

Here is a copy of the space adventure news letter that I recieve recently:

"It was exhilarating.  It was great to experience both lunar gravity and weightlessness again.  I hope that everyone interested in adventure tourism and space will participate in this amazing opportunity."
- Dr. Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11 Astronaut

Zero Gravity Corporation and Space Adventures have teamed up to offer you the thrill of Zero Gravity flights for the first time in the United States.

There are still a few seats left for our November 6th flight.  This is your LAST CHANCE to experience weightlessness in the US at the introductory price of $2,950. Prices will increase next year and you must book now to take advantage of the discount!

The flight is on Saturday, November 6th, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Price Includes:

Ground training at the Hard Rock Hotel and flight from Fort Lauderdale/ Hollywood International Airport including 15 parabolas (Zero gravity along with Martian 1/3 G and Lunar 1/6 G)

Participation by a veteran astronaut

ZERO-G merchandise for every flyer

Photo and video footage from your flight

Post-flight "Re-Gravitation Party"
Spaces are very limited and expected to fill up fast so please contact me now to take advantage of this opportunity while it lasts!

Best Regards,

Matt

Matthew Solt

Space Adventures Ltd.

msolt@spaceadventures.com

www.spaceadventures.com

+1(703)524-7172x305

#11 2015-11-23 20:10:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

Fixed another shifting topic

I am disappointed that space has not openned up more oportunity for the average private citizen to make it to orbit let along allowed for a greater number of suborbital flights to have happened. Also why has Nasa as well as others not taken up the chance to create a pathway to beyond does not seem to make sense if we are ever going to get the cost of space travel costs down.

#12 2021-09-20 07:32:10

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut,

This is Topic #2 ... in 2015 you were commenting on the state of private space flight.  Six years later we have certainly entered a new phase.

If you have a wealthy friend with $200MM(US) to drop as pocket change, you can fly "for free" as a guest.

That flight worked out to $50MM(US) per passenger.  That's still high, but those costs may fall as SpaceX gains experience with the process.

PS ... one reason I'm not finding damaged topics (so far) is that you've been hard at work for years, cleaning them up.

(th)

Board footer