New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-08-18 17:17:17

Adrian
Website

Re: Luminaries to contact

READ ALL OF THESE MESSAGES FIRST!

If you haven't already read the Instructions for Volunteers message, please do so now.

This is the master list of people to contact - if you have POSTED a letter to one of these people using the template, reply to this thread with that person's name. BEFORE POSTING a letter, check this thread to ensure that no-one has already contacted them.

I will update this master list to indicate who has been contacted and also who has replied, but I can't do that constantly, so after checking this list, also check the latest replies to this thread to prevent contacting someone twice. I have provided links to some of these people's contact addresses to help you along.

You DO NOT need to ask for permission to send a letter to someone, as long as that person has not already been contacted.

THE MASTER LIST

Key:

An asterisk (*) by someone's name means that they have been sent a letter. A (#) by someone's name means they have been emailed. A triple asterisk (***) means that they have replied. No names will be removed from this list.

Authors

***Kim Stanley Robinson
#Greg Benford
Ben Bova
*Stephen Baxter
Andrew Chaikin
Patrick Moore
***Paul McAuley
Vernor Vinge
#Ken Macleod
*Iain Banks
***David Brin
Arthur C Clarke
#Sean Stewart
***Terry Pratchett
#Brian Aldiss
***Cory Doctorow
#Julie Czerneda

Politicians

(pretty much every Head of State, i.e. Presidents, Prime Ministers, etc. I would like to contact all European leaders, the US President, etc).
Politicians in charge of space, science or technology.
Basically, anything goes here.

*2 Illinois Senators
*Judy Biggert
*Dennis Hastert - The Speaker of the House
George W Bush
Bill Clinton
Hillary Clinton
*Tony Blair
Cherie Blair
Ann Richards
*Lembit Opik MP
*Lord Sainsbury MP
#David Heath MP (Lib Dem shadow science minister)
***Stephen Hesford MP (my local MP)
Elizabeth Dole
*Charles Kennedy MP
Alan Greenspan
Romano Prodi (President of EC)
Kofi Annan (UN Secretary General)

Scientists/Space People

Again, there are countless people to think of. We should contact everyone on the Mars Society Steering Committee and the equivalents for National Space Society, Planetary Society and any other Space Society you can think of. Here are my suggestions:

Dan Goldin
#Sean O'Keefe (NASA Administrator)
#Antonio Rodot? (ESA Head)
#Marc Garneau (CSA Head)
#Colin Hicks  (BNSC Head)
Shuichiro Yamanouchi (NASDA Head)
Carol Stoker
#Chris McKay
#Matt Golombek
#Penny Boston
Sally Ride
***Prof. Colin Pillinger (Beagle 2)
Everett Gibson (ALH84001)
David McKay (ditto)
#Buzz Aldrin
Lt. Col. Scott Horowitz (astronaut)
Freeman Dyson
#Nicholas Negroponte
#Stewart Brand
Daniel Hillis
Ray Kurzweil
Amartya Sen
James Watson
Francis Crick
Leon Lederman
*Sir Martin Rees
*Richard Dawkins
#Sir Patrick Moore
#Sir Roger Penrose
Michael Foale
#Heather Couper (UK science writer)
Dennis Tito (first space tourist)
#Jim Garvin
Michael Carroll
#Ken Edgett
#Mike Malin
*Stephen Hawking
#Bill Clancey
Frank Borman (Apollo astronaut)
Michio Kaku
*Doug Duncan
*Professor Paul Soreno
*Barbara Gaines
#Ian Crawford
#Kevin Fong
#Martin Barstow
#Jack Cohen

Actors and associated media people

Initially we should try people who are known to have an interest in space (see below) but after that, anything goes.

Tom Hanks
James Cameron
Stephen Spielberg
Stephen Soderburgh
George Lucas
Goldy Hawn
#William Shatner (Star Trek people below)
Leonard Nimoy
Jonathan Frakes
Patrick Stewart
#Wil Wheaton
Whoopie Goldberg
Brent Spiner
Avery Brooks
George Takei
Walter Koenig
Michael Dorn
Kate Mulgrew
Robert Beltran
Tim Russ
Ira Steven Behr
Ronald Moore
Rick Berman
Michael Okuda
Scott Bakula
Jolene Blalock
Anthony Montgomery
Connor Trineer
#J. Michael Straczinski (B5 people below)
Bruce Boxleitner
#Jerry Doyle
Michael O'Hare
#Matt Groening (Futurama people below)
David X Cohen
Arnold Schwarznegger
Val Kilmer
Gary Sinise
Jerry O'Connell
Joss Whedon
Samuel L Jackson
Will Smith
Harrison Ford
Jodie Foster

Misc

I think well known journalists, newsreaders, columnists, writers, musicians would be good.

*Lou Dobbs
*Miles O'Brien
*James Cramer
David Bowie
#Tasmin Archer
#Blur
Lance Bass (N'Sync guy going into space)
#John Carmack (Armadillospace)
#Linus Torvalds
#Eric Raymond
***Richard Stallman
David Braben
#Kevin Kelly
#Elan Lee
Bill Gates
Richard Branson
James Gleick
Chris Anderson (editor of Wired)
Moby
Trevor McDonald
David Dimbleby
Zach de la Rocha
#Tim Radford
#David Whitehouse
#Jack Schofield

Please reply with any suggestions or clarifications here. Right now we need to get as comprehensive a list as possible.

Edited By Adrian on Sep. 14 2002 at 19:37

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#2 2002-08-18 18:16:00

Palomar

*I don't know who Avery Brooks is, but when you mention "and all the other Star Trek people," I certainly hope this includes William Shatnersad  I don't know if Shatner's interested in the Mars Society and its objectives, but he still [now in his early 70s!] has tremendous star appeal.  He's still young at heart, recently hosting VH1's 4-hour long "One Hit Wonders" special -- in other words, he's still very visible to the younger generation [how many aging celebrities can you say that about?].

Sorry, Adrian, but I can't believe you didn't call Shatner's name out!    :0

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2002-08-18 18:20:11

Palomar

*We need some women on this list as well.  I'll be thinking of some notable ladies who might be genuinely interest in our cause [other than Star Trek cast members], and post their names later. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#4 2002-08-19 07:28:52

Palomar

*I admit I'd be a bit surprised if Sally Ride weren't interested in the Mars Society.  The first female commander of the space shuttle [can't recall her name off-hand, shame on me] addressed the Mars Society Conference last year -- obviously she's interested.

I have no idea whatsoever if the following ladies are interested in Mars Society objectives, but here are some names I came up with:

Oprah Winfrey
Elizabeth Dole
Goldie Hawn
Ann Richards [former Texas governor]

Margaret Thatcher is a very notable woman [even if I disagree with her politics]; however, I also know she's up in years and may not be interested in this sort of thing.

--Cindy

#5 2002-08-19 14:03:17

Adrian
Website

Good call Cindy, you're absolutely right about the lack on women on the list. And I don't know what came over me when I missed out Shatner ("KHANNNNN!!!!!!"  big_smile  ). I've updated the list.

#6 2002-08-19 14:34:53

Adrian
Website

Is that 'Hillary Clinton' as in:

'Should she be on the list?' - I've already added her or
'Why is she on the list?' - Because she's very famous, basically, and many people think she's 'respectable' (okay, many people think the opposite but still)

#7 2002-08-19 16:21:51

Palomar

Is that 'Hillary Clinton' as in:

'Should she be on the list?' - I've already added her or
'Why is she on the list?' - Because she's very famous, basically, and many people think she's 'respectable' (okay, many people think the opposite but still)

*I thought of Hillary Clinton too...and then I remembered her making a public appearance last year, after 9/11, for something related to the NYC charity relief funds:  All she got were boo's and cat-calls.  Sad.  She's bright, energetic, and certainly high-profile...but many people [*NOT* including myself] have enormous loathing for her and former President Clinton.

--Cindy

#8 2002-08-19 17:30:01

Phobos

I thought of Hillary Clinton too...and then I remembered her making a public appearance last year, after 9/11, for something related to the NYC charity relief funds:  All she got were boo's and cat-calls.  Sad.  She's bright, energetic, and certainly high-profile...but many people [*NOT* including myself] have enormous loathing for her and former President Clinton.

I pretty much loathe all politicians.  I just don't trust people who seek power.  There's something very suspicious about people who want to be empowered over others.  Anyhow, I'd like to get some rebels in there to who are helping us get into space but aren't affiliated with government.  Some of the X-prize people might be available choices.  I wouldn't mind hearing that one guy that's building the rockets for Star Chaser give some insight into how he thinks the future of private civilian space travel might fit in with Mars.   I found it interesting that Ray Kurzweil is on the list.  He'll no doubt be saying that by 2100 we'll be downloading our minds into machines and we'll just be able to fly off to Mars without a need for a spaceship. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#9 2002-08-19 17:36:35

Adrian
Website

Yeah, getting the X Prize people would be nice. Anyone want to look up a few names? Also, maybe I should give luminaries the option to provide commentary on their choice of First Words - as Phobos says, some of them might have some interesting things to say.

#10 2002-08-20 09:44:11

clark

I-ell be bak!

What about the Shwartenager? He did a movie located on Mars! (And kindergarden cop!)

Lemme see, Ice Cube just did Ghost of Mars with the lead singer from Hole, Courtney Love

Can't forget our friend Val Kilmer, he even got to walk around on Mars without a mask!

Hmmm, then there is the whole cast and crew from Mission to Mars- who was the one that blasted off from the face with the aliens (sorry about the spoiler)? He would be good.

Of course the cast from Star Wars- big names there- Michael Hamilton, George Lucas (okay, not cast, but maybe he can help us get somethign from Jar Jar)

Samuel Jackson, Harrison Ford, Will Smith.... just a few more notable actors.

Politicans- ANY OF THEM. Get them to say something, and it is akin to an endorsement that we can brag about for years. They odn't have to do anything, they just have to SAY something. They especially love it when you come up with the quote, present it to them as "Would you say this and this..." It allows us influence how they are perceived.

Quotes from Euronauts, Cosmonauts, Tito, Astronauts (former and current), ISS station astronauts, the President of Boeing, Lockheed-Martin.

Greenspan (economic endorsement)

The UN president.

#11 2002-08-20 10:26:46

Adrian
Website

Good suggestions Clark, and you're absolutely right about politicians - they'll love this as a good piece of publicity. I don't know about giving them all quotes, I certainly can't think of that many original ones, but you can bet that they'll just go and ask their staff for ideas.

#12 2002-08-21 22:45:43

Bill White

Adrian . . .

< < Lengthy and mindless babble has been deleted >>

First Words can be a marvelous idea - even after World Space Week is over. Let Famous People tell us their grand vision for Mars - we do market research and they persuade themselves. . .

#13 2002-08-22 05:40:05

Adrian
Website

Whoa - I agree with you! I never said anything otherwise. This is of course why I'm very keen on contacting as many politicians as possible.

#14 2002-08-22 08:21:38

Bill White

Sorry - Adrian - it was late and the keyboard took possession of my soul. . .

wink

#15 2002-09-06 09:33:53

Nirgal82
Banned

I'm interested in writing to Chris McKay, Dan Goldin, Kofi Annan, Stephen Hawking (why ain't he on the list), Frank Borman, (apollo astronaut, he lives rather near me so I may be able to get a face to face with him)  David Bowie, and perhaps Zach de la Rocha could be added to the list, he used to front the band, Rage Against the Machine.  Certainly he is directley opposite of political figures, but I think it is important that we saturate the full spectrum of people with any degree of publicity.
Jodie Foster seems like a good choice to me too, being in Contact and all...
I'm thinking of writing my Senators and Reps too, i'm from far west Texas.
However, I do share Phobos's wariness of politicians.
Sound good?

Your friendly neighborhood Martian...
-Matt

"...all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration.  We are all one consiousness experiencing itself subjectively.  There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."  -Bill Hicks

#16 2002-09-06 10:16:23

Adrian
Website

I'd say that writing to all of those people should be fine. However, I can probably do Chris McKay and Stephen Hawking (a terrible oversight) since I can email Chris and Stephen Hawking is at Cambridge University, where I study. Everyone else is fine!

#17 2002-09-06 10:39:10

Bill White

Adrian -

May I suggest you find and read a wire service story about Stephen Hawking - October 2001 I believe - where he talks about the need for humanity to enter and settlement space. I believe he said settling space was necessary for the long term survival of the human species.

I believe the Reuters report was a re-print of a local newspaper but Reuters may be more accessible to google, etc. . .

It might help you "customize" the contact.

I will be sending many letters over the coming weekend. . .

#18 2002-09-06 13:10:00

Nirgal82
Banned

As will I be busy sending letters off,
It feels good to be only a degree or two away from some of the greatest minds of our time...

Your friendly neighborhood Martian...
-Matt

"...all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration.  We are all one consiousness experiencing itself subjectively.  There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves."  -Bill Hicks

#19 2002-09-06 13:17:29

Nirgal82
Banned

Oh, I forgot,
I'll try to get some face time with Borman,
Any ideas on what I should bring and what I should try to accomplish?
-Matt

#20 2002-09-06 17:47:25

Adrian
Website

Nirgal - thanks for your help! When you see Borman, you should give him a quick run down of the Mars Society - nothing too extensive, it's not as if we want to sell him anything - but enough to let him know who we are. Tell him our website addresses (for the Mars Society and First Words).

If he's willing, ask him a few questions about first words in general, such as what he thinks of the first words on the Moon, and how much does he think those words influenced people on Earth. Of course, get his 'first words' for Mars, and ask him why he chose them. It'd be a nice thing to put on the website.

Bill - I have Stephen Hawking's latest book, and he's definitely pro-space in it. Hopefully he'll have the time to reply to a letter (I don't think an email would get through - he must get a lot) and he's known to have a good sense of humour, so we could end up getting something good.

It is fun to be contacting these people - not only are we doing something for First Words, but we're also getting these people to think about Mars in some small way, which is always a good thing. So far we've had replies from David Brin, Colin Pillinger and Kim Stanley Robinson - admittedly all people who I've been in contact with before, but it's a good start.

#21 2002-09-06 20:04:47

Phobos

We might send a letter to Michio Kaku also.  I think he's on the faculty at New York University so maybe his email is listed there.  I'll give it a try.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#22 2002-09-07 12:06:30

Nirgal82
Banned

It may be a week or so before I can get a little time to contact Borman.  School among other things are keeping me quite busy lately. (I was just offered yesterday to be placed in honors Geology)  But don't despair, I will get to it when things aren't so hectic...

Your busy and busily learning neighborhood Martian...
-Matt

#23 2002-09-08 22:02:43

Bill White

I have sent letters to the following - via US Mail:

My 2 Illinois Senators
My Congressman - Judy Biggert
Dennis Hastert - The Speaker of the House lives one district over from me

Lou Dobbs - CNN Moneyline and co-founder of space.com
Miles O'Brien - CNN space and science correspondent
James Cramer - CNBC & theStreet.com

Doug Duncan - was professor of astronomy at the University of Chicago - now at Colorado

Professor Paul Soreno - dinosaur hunter on the faculty at the University of Chicago. He kinda looks like Harrison Ford/Indiana Jones. . .

Barbara Gaines - Artistic Director of Chicago Shakespeare Theater, for a Shakespearean perspective. . .

I will take a break until 16 September. I will print letters dated the 16th but not mail any more until then. I wish to stay away from all the 11 September events and remembrances.

#24 2002-09-09 12:27:23

Adrian
Website

Bill - great work!

#25 2002-09-09 12:27:45

Adrian
Website

Bill - great work!