New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-08-28 21:08:38

Dook
Banned

Re: When Would You go to Mars?

Mars eventually, but I think we should create a moon base first.

I'll go now and live in a dome, cave, or mars habitat for the rest of my life.

Sign me up but I'll wait until mars at least has an atmosphere of CO2.

Not until mars has a breathable atmosphere.

I'm not leaving the earth.

Remember, if you go to mars it's probably forever.  No coming back.

#2 2004-08-28 21:15:47

comstar03

Sorry dook, but your dead body won't be carried to mars !!!, it will take approimately 50-75 years from now to commence major terraforming processes on Mars. and it would then take decades after that to become livable for humans.

The dome developments must be designed like towns here, but can be collapsed when the atomsphere is breathable for humans.

#3 2004-08-28 22:52:20

Dook
Banned

I agree with the 50-75 years timeframe.  We need to land a few times first, then explore the planet and find out if there ever was or is life there.  Then we can start the terraformation process with better technology than we now have.  But some Mars Society members seem to want to live there and begin terraforming from the first landing.

#4 2004-08-29 03:23:29

deagleninja

The terraforming process would technically begin with the first outpost there. Since heat is what Mars needs most to be changed, our first residents on Mars will begin altering it by producing waste heat.

#5 2004-08-29 06:53:33

comstar03

Major issues, firstly, I don't think many of the society members will get to mars or their decendants for many years. ( at least a century ), Unless they are megarich and can afford the ticket.

#6 2004-08-29 07:16:05

Ian Flint
Banned

I'd go live in a pressurized habitat for the rest of my life, but I would push for a thicker CO2 atmosphere so I could at least take off my pressure suit outside.  I think it's possible to create a CO2 atmosphere of 250 mbar within 50 years or so.

I won't even hope for a breathable atmosphere in my lifetime.

comstar,
Issues shmissues!  To get around this problem of money, you can assume that you won the Mars Ticket Lottery.

#7 2004-08-29 07:30:34

Grypd

The first thing I would do is send an orbiting mirror this would begin to reflect more light onto Mars, But until we really decide we want to go full tilt for terraforming what it would do is provide more light for power use at the main Mars base.

But yes go for Mars as soon as we can then we change it to what we want, But there is no reason not to go for colonisation as soon as we have resources to do so.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#8 2004-08-29 07:41:45

Josh Cryer

Whenever someone was smart or nice enough to build the afforadble transportation to get me there. big_smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#9 2004-08-29 10:42:21

GCNRevenger

You don't really need a full pressure suit for Mars, a tension suit thats heated would do, you just need the pressure around the head in your helmet.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#10 2004-08-29 11:02:13

Rxke

Mars. a.k.a. Spandex-world! big_smile

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

There's a topic about suits on the boars, in which RobertDyck posted some very interesting stuff about the elastic suits.

#11 2004-08-29 12:17:27

Rxke

Oh, I didn't answer the question.
"I'll go now and live in a dome, cave, or mars habitat for the rest of my life."

I personally do not really like the boosted virtually pure CO2 atmosphere thing... That's short-time thinking, IMO...
It'll probably be very hard to go to oxy-nitrogen mix later... Rather find a way to release O2 instead of forcing CO2 outgassing. Depend on super greenhouse gasses for warming, instead of CO2
Harder, and will take longer(?) but the more oxy, the more possibility for a biosphere, the more heat etc...

#12 2004-08-29 18:10:34

comstar03

Its interesting about the suits, but the Question is "When" you go to Mars ?

Cargo movements - 2019-2022 prior to launch.

First Manned mission - 2022 on current planning ( launch time ) - with telerobotic comman station built within.

Second Manned mission - 2023 ( launch time might take longer duration ? )

Cargo movements - 2023-2025 - Three ships be run with supplies. - micro-foundry and fabrication equipment.

Mass movement mission - 2025-2030

This will only take the small outpost to a large outpost before becoming a marsbase. ( Outpost --> Marsbase ---> Mars Settlement )

#13 2004-09-07 12:07:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

Interesting time table for going forth to Mars but way to slow IMO. But on the note of how fast this also depends on if we are going to stay or do the Apollo ya its nice and leave again plan.

From MarsNews http://www.marsnews.com/

banner-homestead.jpg

Phase 1 The Mars Homestead Project - To Arrive, Survive & Thrive!

Utilizing concepts and designs from the past several decades, the Mars Homestead Project seeks to develop a unified plan for building the first habitat on Mars utilizing local materials. The ultimate goal of the project is to build a growing, permanent settlement beyond the Earth, thus allowing civilization to spread beyond the limits of our small planet.

Planning efforts of the Project are well underway after last month's Kickoff meeting at MIT. The project is now shifting into high gear in what is being calling "Phase 1", where initial planning documents will be generated by the multidisciplinary Program Study Team.

Note: MarsNews.com Editor James Burk is on the leadership team and built the Project's website.

http://www.marshome.org/

#14 2004-09-08 04:11:15

comstar03

What SpaceNut,

they are working on a similar timeline !!!!!

Board footer