New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-07-24 19:49:26

EarthWolf

Re: Arcology settlements

Hello,

I'm curious to see if arcology type settlements would be practical, given the wild Martian climate.

Cordially,

EarthWolf

" Man will not always stay on the Earth. "

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

#2 2004-07-25 01:01:22

Rxke

I had to google for that:
"An Arcology is based on Paolo Soleri's concept of the development of compact 3-D alternatives to existing urban sprawls, combining more efficient use of land and resources. In the future, mankind will be pressed closer and closer together in a vast urban sprawl. As society is deals with a rise in population and population density, while having to deliver a much more efficient use of resources, use of the arcology will become commonplace. "

http://www.peagreenboat.com/arcology/]One of the sites about arcology

#3 2004-07-25 01:06:51

Rxke

Hmmm...  Mars being totally un-crowded and lacking an ecosystem... I guess you mean an arcology architecture in closed (thus relatively small and crowded) artificial ecosystems (domes etc.)

Makes a lot of sense.

#4 2004-07-26 20:56:21

EarthWolf

Hello,

I have read Soleri's theory ( It's an interesting idea. ) on that and thought maybe arcologies might be an option.

Cordially,

EarthWolf

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

#5 2004-07-27 05:03:29

MarsDog

Concept of "architecture coherent with ecology" will need to accommodate efficient use of materials and surroundings.
A cliff or meteor crater wall overlooking a rock garden is the starting point.
Simplistic is a sloping glass wall, enclosing a habitable space.
In 3D fashion, the caves in the rock face could exit to different levels.

#6 2004-07-27 05:17:26

Rxke

EarthWolf, have you read Red, Green, Blue Mars?

Hiroko Ai is somewhat of a Arcologist, no? Building rooms in big bamboo plants, or am i totally wrong?

#7 2004-07-27 16:18:25

EarthWolf

Hello,

I've read Red Mars, but not any of the sequels. I've been trying to figure out what Hiroko Ai was trying to do. So far, no luck. Though, I think she had some sort of revisionist theory that incorporated humans living in harmony with a terraformed Mars.

Cordially,

EarthWolf

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

#8 2004-08-02 14:35:23

Ian Flint
Banned

I think Arcologies can quite possibly become the norm on Mars.  People will dig underground or pile dirt on top of their living areas, so it makes sense to make several layers of habitable space under one layer of radiation protection.  With domes, to minimize the dome material needed, crops might be stacked on several levels.  Industry will find recycling to be extremely beneficial, so instead of waste materials just being dumped they will be sold to the next company.  They might even have pipes connecting to eachother's waste products.

Everything and everyone on Mars will benefit from being connected to everything and everyone else, so compact three dimensional cities are a very likely possibility.

By the way, instead of looking up 'archology' in the dictionary, just play Sim City!

Board footer