New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-07-09 13:55:02

Palomar

Re: A Night in the Hab - ...and your neighbor snores LOUDLY

*Based on the designs of Mars Direct habs I've seen, the personal rooms are close together with thin, thin walls.  I've known couples to sleep clear across the house from one another because one of them snores so loudly.  Not to mention the cranky "sisters" in the women's dorm at college because someone was sawing logs loudly all night in an adjacent room.

Just a bit of fun...

What would you do?

--Cindy

::edit::  Whoops -- forgot to mention my pick is the "Waterfall Sounds" option.

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-07-09 14:23:06

Cobra Commander

I went with "Other." in this case, the vengeance option. Actually used this a few times in college, good fun.  big_smile

Having been kept up all night by incessant snoring and therefore awake at some ungodly 0-dark-30 hour, I wake the offender by blaring a loud musical selection, something martial. The "Imperial March" or the Soviet anthem work well, though Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" is a good standby.

This, of course also affects other nearby slumbering individuals, assuming they managed to get to sleep in the first place. It's kind of a nuclear option. Check the thickness and density of your walls to fine-tune for optimal effect.

EDIT:: I've never used this in retaliation for something so simple as snoring, at least not solely. Plenty of other offenses to warrant it...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#3 2004-07-09 14:50:52

Grypd

Make them sleep inside a space suit, Its good training you know.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#4 2004-07-09 23:45:17

TwinBeam

Convince yourself that it's a reassuring sound that you are actually glad to hear.   Sounds strange, but it's worked for me in many circumstances, from noise when I'm trying to sleep, to talking kids kicking my seat in the movies - though the latter is harder, I must admit. big_smile

#5 2004-07-10 11:00:15

C M Edwards

Rebuild the HAB - it should come with a full toolkit - and solve the problem through engineering.

Walls can be insulated.  Bedrooms can be moved.  Restraints can be rigged. 

It could be a source of fun for the crew.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#6 2004-07-10 11:02:50

Palomar

Convince yourself that it's a reassuring sound that you are actually glad to hear.   Sounds strange, but it's worked for me in many circumstances, from noise when I'm trying to sleep, to talking kids kicking my seat in the movies - though the latter is harder, I must admit. big_smile

*Lol...I dunno, I've tried that on different nights related to different sounds (dogs barking, horns honking...you know how it goes).  wink  Sometimes trying to tell one's self to "go with it" seems only to make the annoyance worse.  :-\

Grypd:  Make them sleep inside a space suit, Its good training you know.

:laugh:  Good one -- wish I'd thought of it. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2004-07-10 18:24:12

Josh Cryer

I've always slept with a pillow over my head. smile

So I would probably just roll over and pull my pillow down some more. I can honestly say, though, that ones snoring has never bothered me. What would bother me more is someone watching TV, or listening to music. Yes, the act of listening to music can be quite bothersome to me! I would hope that people would have headphones they could wear when they went to sleep, epseically to watch TV or whatever.

Then again, perhaps I could don a pair of earplugs, but that just don't seem right.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#8 2004-07-12 13:00:38

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

I had to deal with this freshmen year when I made the mistake of living in the dorms, my roommate snored with the intensity of a project orion esque series of thermonuclear detonations....it was bad.

The solution, bose sound canceling head set with Bach or Mozart(sp?) playing on nights when the scilence was too quiet.

If you havn't tried on a headset with active sound canceling, it's hard to belive how well they work.

#9 2004-07-12 15:13:32

DERF

Well the obvious answer is this: pre-screening. Have the potential astronauts sleep in the same room each night during basic training. They vote someone else out each night Survivor-style.

OR

Like many have suggested getting appendices removed to reduce the risk of appendicitis, etc....we should just clip the offender's nasal snore-producing-apparatus. No, I don't know how it's done, but I am ABSOLUTELY SURE it will work.

#10 2004-07-12 15:21:35

Ian Flint
Banned

I voted other.

After months of training with potential crew members in isolation chambers on Earth, all annoying habits will be dealt with before hand.  Either the crewmember simply will not be selected for the mission, or the phsychologists will send along plenty of "No-Snore" drugs or other counter measures.

If that fails, maybe Cobra could just make a gun out of hab pipes for me to threaten the offending crew member with.  :laugh:

#11 2004-07-12 15:23:01

Ian Flint
Banned

Derf, you posted that like two seconds before me... Drats, foiled again!

#12 2004-07-12 17:56:30

Cobra Commander

If that fails, maybe Cobra could just make a gun out of hab pipes for me to threaten the offending crew member with.

In this case, a pipe is probably all you need.  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#13 2004-07-13 15:53:13

C M Edwards

See?  Another problem solved through engineering.

Just don't use that wimpy polyvinyl pipe.  You want aluminum or really heavy gauge PVC.   :;):

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#14 2004-07-26 14:45:56

Commodore

Well, if it was in orbit, you could always unzip them, aim them towards the nearest solid bulkhead, and give them a gentile nudge.  tongue

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#15 2004-07-26 15:45:09

Rxke

... Gently float the offender to the bathroom, without waking them, point their head in the right direction and turn on the vacuum-system. Be sure to carry your digital camera, ground control will be grateful.

#16 2004-07-26 16:55:02

Commodore

... Gently float the offender to the bathroom, without waking them, point their head in the right direction and turn on the vacuum-system. Be sure to carry your digital camera, ground control will be grateful.

And the rest of the world.  :laugh:

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#17 2004-07-26 17:35:43

Grypd

Tape the offenders noise pollution.

Play the noise back to the offender the next night as he tries to get to sleep

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#18 2004-07-27 14:23:52

DERF

I'm sure NASA has a very high-expense research program that is currently looking into the idea of martian-gravity safe noseplugs. It allows me to sleep at night. WOAH

#19 2004-07-27 15:10:07

Rxke

Yes, but rumors have it that due to cost-overruns in the research, they will have to cut the Prometheus project significantly to be a probe fitted with a second-hand diesel engine...  big_smile

Board footer