New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-07-26 10:06:19

Rxke

Re: Beagle 3 hitching a ride on American Rover? - science-package on 2009 rover?

#2 2004-07-26 15:22:20

Palomar

Re: Beagle 3 hitching a ride on American Rover? - science-package on 2009 rover?

*I'm all for it.  I mentioned my hopes for a joint mission of this sort shortly after Beagle 2's demise. 

By the way, why does the British press refer to it as "Nasa"?  It's an acronym:  NASA.  It's not a word.  Geez.  roll

About MSL returning Marsian rocks to Earth -- that would be marvelous.  Reminds me of an article I read and posted in a new thread months ago, about Mars potentially smelling...badly.

Guess we'd find out (among other things).  :laugh:

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-07-26 16:02:30

Rxke

laser is an aronym too  tongue

To be honest, Pillinger's talk about the sample return doesn't make much sense, IMO... MSL isn't going to do that, so what is he talking about?

#4 2004-07-26 16:17:25

Palomar

laser is an aronym too  tongue

*Two wrongs don't make a right.   tongue   

I'm a stickler for it being NASA for some reason.  ???

Back on topic...(and here's hoping there'll be a Beagle 3!)

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2004-07-26 18:32:46

atitarev

...By the way, why does the British press refer to it as "Nasa"?  It's an acronym:  NASA.  It's not a word.  Geez.  roll

Maybe the same reason you keep spelling the word Martian with an S, not with a T, they just like it that way. Only joking, Cindy.  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

It's great! I am all for cooperation.

Anatoli Titarev

#6 2004-07-26 18:47:20

Gennaro

Well, if NASA is kind enough to take rag tag Europeans and torn Pilliger for a ride I only wish to express gratitude. Go NASA!

And it is NASA, guys... big_smile

#7 2004-07-26 19:26:18

GCNRevenger

*Groans* Oh great... if Pilliger ever manages to suceed, you know that it will just be allll "well HE did it for $10M, it would cost NASA $100M!." I hope they say no, or the thing fails again.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#8 2004-07-26 19:54:10

RobS
Banned
Website

British spelling generally does not capitalize acronymns the way American spelling does; thus Nato, for example. They also leave off the period on Mr, Mrs, Dr, etc. And of course they do not automatically put the period or comma before a closed quotation ("like this."; Americans don't do this either, but their American editors will fix them!).

-- RobS

#9 2004-07-26 23:47:17

Rxke

And of course they do not automatically put the period or comma before a closed quotation

Some time working on Project Guetenberg (aka Distributed Proofreaders, great project, BTW..) will fix this, though! I'm European, so learned British English, but read more AE... Confusing after awhile, -ise, -ize, color, colour etc.... Took me ages to 'rewire' myself to put the stuff back between quotemarks...

#10 2004-07-27 01:34:30

hubricide
Banned

Placing punctuation within quotations is madness.  The quotation itself didn't originally contain the punctuation (probably).  Whoever came up with that rule needs to burn long, burn long in the hot place.  Editors only know how to complain, not how to ENJOY.  I'LL SEE YOU DOWN BELOW, YOU SANCTIMONIOUS MONKEYS.   :band:

#11 2004-07-27 02:05:39

Rxke

Hah, you should go and take a look at the contributers discussion at Wikipedia... Those guys seem to take things like spelling 'color' as 'colour' etc. as a personal insult. You can almost hear the foam at their mouths sizzling big_smile

#12 2004-07-27 05:11:14

GraemeSkinner
Website

Hah, you should go and take a look at the contributers discussion at Wikipedia... Those guys seem to take things like spelling 'color' as 'colour' etc. as a personal insult. You can almost hear the foam at their mouths sizzling big_smile

It's always gonna be 'colour' to me as I'm English  big_smile  If I was writing something for use in America I'd just set the spell checker to American and let it get on with it (lazy or what!).

GCNR...

I hope they say no, or the thing fails again

And I hope this was a joke, hoping that something fails as people are going to be happy it worked for less money is a pretty poor show. Surely the data it returned would be worth it if it worked.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#13 2004-07-27 05:30:17

Palomar

GCNR...

I hope they say no, or the thing fails again

And I hope this was a joke, hoping that something fails as people are going to be happy it worked for less money is a pretty poor show. Surely the data it returned would be worth it if it worked.

Graeme

*Good grief, GCN.  sad  (No, I don't think he's joking based on previous similar comments). 

I don't want to see such a science project fail! 

--Cindy

P.S.:  As for "colour" versus "color" -- I'm glad we Americans have dropped the "u" from most of the Brit use of it.  Makes less work for me (1 less keystroke adds up!).

Board footer