New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#126 2004-07-01 14:17:30

Cobra Commander

Re: The Kerry Factor - John Kerry's Views of PlanBush

Anyone have any good references for Kerry's opinions and plans regarding global warming?

He's against it, except when he's for it.

:laugh:  Yeah, kinda hard to pin down.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#127 2004-07-01 14:20:13

smurf975
Website

In this http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm … 566569]new report academics predict that Bush is going to win. Their models have only once been wrong that is when Gore lost from Bush in 2000.

Waht? Tehr's a preveiw buottn?

#128 2004-07-01 14:23:34

clark

Carpe Terra now?!  :laugh:

#129 2004-07-06 06:24:16

Algol

The thing thabugs me is that if you vote for Bush you are effectively endorsing everything he has done in his presidency. Im not going to list everything but in my eyes hes made a lot of mistakes, and no matter how hard i try i cant think of anything positive that he has done.

He just seems to be a really bad president, and doesnt deserve a second chance. Maybe Kerry should have a go. ???

#130 2004-07-06 07:37:04

Ian Flint

It looks like Kerry just chose Edwards as his running mate.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5086822/]ht … d/5086822/

Now that we have a goodlooking Democrat to vote for Bush is toast! big_smile

#131 2004-07-06 09:19:15

dicktice

Abraham Lincoln wasn't good looking, and John Kerry looks just like him. So, what's my point? How about: Lincoln turned out to be a Good President.

#132 2004-07-06 10:02:52

clark

Lincoln didn't live in the age of television.

FDR was a great president, but it is doubtful he would have been president (given his handicap) in today's age. Indeed, the press and the Whitehouse had an agreement to not really publish photo's with FDR in a wheelchair.

I would rather judge a leader by his character, than his apperance. And to be fair, Kerry dosen't give much of an indication as to what his true character is. He is everything and nothing, all at once.

I know Bush's character, and I don't like it. So I and a hundred million other voters are left with acting on faith, or principle. In principle, I cannot vote for Bush, but I have no faith in Kerry. I guess that means only one thing.... Cobra 2004!!!  tongue  big_smile

#133 2004-07-06 14:03:44

Ian Flint

And to be fair, Kerry dosen't give much of an indication as to what his true character is. He is everything and nothing, all at once.

A true politician. :laugh:

I must vote against Bush, but I don't really want to vote for Kerry either.  I don't think Colorado is a swing state so I guess I'm safe voting for a third party candidate.

#134 2004-07-06 14:35:40

BWhite

Edwards has already been called "The Breck boy" by the Republicans.

http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smiths … .html]Link reference

But maybe its http://www.fortune.com/fortune/smallbus … ,00.html]a good thing.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#135 2004-07-07 17:02:26

dicktice

If enough cast their votes on a "third party" to go against Bush, he's sure to get reelected--isn't that the lesson from last time? Come on now, it screams oxymoron!

#136 2004-07-07 19:49:05

Earthfirst

Kerry is a rich eastern yankee carpet bagger in my view, not to be trusted. His lies and doudle speak have no bounds, he has no new ideas not not bush. My idea Bush or death at the hand of the insane leth hollywood actors, new york boston stuck up liberals. Kerry is the devil!
Michael moore can go to hell, his propoganda flim is trash. Just like the Herman Gerbals once said "tell a lie enough times  and people see it as the truth." The lie that bush is bad, the truth if it was not for bush the evil terr would have Al gore hiddening in his Lock Bock as the fall out form Irags drity bombs rained down on the east. To chose Kerry is to chose inasity.
Kerry is evil!
Thats what some mean conserve told me, when at was at this peace rally man. It bug me out so much that the evil white wasp was not feeling white sham for all the evils of america man. I lite up the peace pipe with some of my feelow Kerry freinds at the drom. We look at are hands for hours then talk about how sexy Karry wife was and how she be such a great first lady by doing the pool boy, Job of cleaning the pool. Man we were so high, we made no sense. Then we decided that we use some of our trust money to help free austrailia man. or was it georgia. Then we all ate some PIZZIA, TOE FOOD. What wasI talking about. Ohh yeah Keryy duh bomb man! Once we get the evil bush out, Then we can be loved by france, to better understand the arbia street, we can save them the trouble and cut off are own heads for them.
Kerry, whoo, Keryyy what free wing coupons man lets go get high and protest man. Have you every notice how cool your hands look? Man I am tripping!  :laugh:
Those Kerry suports are strange alwise protesting getting high. That why I am a bush guy, not a Ferry guy I mean Kerry, what every.

I love plants!

#137 2004-07-07 20:00:27

Palomar

Edwards has already been called "The Breck boy" by the Republicans.

*So?  ???

Kerry needs all the help he can get...goes without saying, IMO.

The fact that the Repubs are resorting to juvenile name-calling already is a good indication they're a bit UNEASY (in my opinion).

Besides being a "Breck Boy," Edwards has an aura of charm and orderliness about him.  He's attractive, and I don't mean that in strictly from the viewpoint of a woman.  He's attractive to rural voters, "the common person," he seems very approachable, etc.

Cheney on the other hand?  :laugh: 

--Cindy 

P.S.:  I'm voting the Franklin/Paine ticket!

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#138 2004-07-07 20:03:24

smurf975
Website

I think you are still high  :band:

Waht? Tehr's a preveiw buottn?

#139 2004-07-08 01:06:39

Algol

Cheney on the other hand?

I liked that when asked to compare Cheney to Edwards, Bush replied that Cheney could be President....

Cheney for President!  big_smile  :laugh:  big_smile

Made me laugh.

#140 2004-07-08 05:19:28

Cobra Commander

The fact that the Repubs are resorting to juvenile name-calling already is a good indication they're a bit UNEASY (in my opinion).

Actually, the first instance of a "Breck" reference to John Edwards was made early in the primaries by a reporter, I don't recall for which publication. Then Rush Limbaugh started using it, and it snowballed.

I don't get the impression that anyone on the Right is really uneasy about the two Johns. In fact, if played right the fact that Edwards is a trial lawyer could be the nail in the coffin. If played right.

I liked that when asked to compare Cheney to Edwards, Bush replied that Cheney could be President....

Cheney for President!

Yeah, it's funny on several levels. But more importantly, Cheney could be President, though not a particularly popular or personable one. Edwards, on the other hand... Well, we're talking about a one-term Senator that repeatedly lost primaries to John Kerry... :hm:

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#141 2004-07-08 05:35:46

Algol

Yeah, it's funny on several levels. But more importantly, Cheney could be President, though not a particularly popular or personable one. Edwards, on the other hand... Well, we're talking about a one-term Senator that repeatedly lost primaries to John Kerry...

Well with 4 to 8 years as Vice President under his belt im sure he'd be considered experienced.  ???

#142 2004-07-08 06:50:56

~Eternal~

Cheney, president, ._., that would be hell on earth, no I take that back this administration has been hell on earth, Cheney as president would be hell on the universe.

Plus Cheney is an autotonomous robot that was instituted shortly after his death by heart attack, I plan on exposing it in a Michael Moore style documentary.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#143 2004-07-08 07:53:53

Cobra Commander

Plus Cheney is an autotonomous robot that was instituted shortly after his death by heart attack, I plan on exposing it in a Michael Moore style documentary.

:laugh: Hope you can get that out in time for the election.  big_smile

#144 2004-07-08 08:09:42

Palomar

Then Rush Limbaugh started using it, and it snowballed.

I don't get the impression that anyone on the Right is really uneasy about the two Johns. In fact, if played right the fact that Edwards is a trial lawyer could be the nail in the coffin. If played right.

*Sounds in keeping with Limbaugh's character.  He starts using something...there's a snowballing effect...(but it's "okay" when he does it...of course, of course).

Anyway...oh sure.  Edwards will get crucified for being a lawyer.  Nevermind that Cheney is a fat-cat corporate crook whose pockets are being lined to the hilt thanks to the blood of U.S. soldiers.

Well, once again:  It was horrible and evil of that dastardly Clinton to fool around with Monica.  But anything Bush and his friends do are A-OKAY. 

So yeah.  Edwards is Darth Vader.  And from now on it's Saint Cheney.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Bush and Cheney get re-elected.  We seem to have our share of knuckle-headed masochists in this nation.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#145 2004-07-08 08:35:23

Cobra Commander

Well Cindy, you've illustrated an important point about this election. There's two distinct approaches to it. One is the cold reasoned perspective, on which Bush has some problems and the Johns have thus far offered nothing of substance. The other is the emotional viewpoint you've just expressed, which is fueled by and revolves around anti-Bushism. Everything is an attack, we can't let Bush continue, nevermind a viable alternative, first things first. It's always about what Bush/Cheney have done, not what Kerry will do. Even when Kerry himself speaks!

In this election the Right is driven primarily by disappointed but loyal 'reason' types, though their reasoning leads to incorrect conclusions quite frequently. The Left is driven primarily by angry hostile emotional motives. Both sides have their share of wrong, but only one doesn't consistently look crazed and looney. We calmly await the definitive Kerry plan, but all we get is more Bush ripping with burning eyes. :hm:

And I'm not trying to single you out on this, Cindy, I know you're just as frustrated with this situation as I am. We need that "none of the above" option.

At least until we get the "Cobra" option, of course.  big_smile

#146 2004-07-08 08:50:17

Palomar

At least until we get the "Cobra" option, of course.  big_smile

*I'll vote for you, Cobra.  Provided you wear the Arn Darvin suit frequently.  smile 

Maybe I am too emotional about this issue.  I just don't like where America is right now -- I mean "all around." 

I honestly cannot see Bush and Cheney in office another 4 years.  But I'm not sure Kerry has what it takes either.

::shakes head::

I've never felt so hopeless about my nation.  That's the truth.

--Cindy

#147 2004-07-08 08:54:19

clark

But more importantly, Cheney could be President, though not a particularly popular or personable one.

Yeah, it was funny when Bush said that. The reason? Because it was a flippant remark that said the bare minimum, which was nothing. Of course Cheney could be President, it's called the order of succession you dimwitted monkey (Bush).  :laugh:

I recall hearing a remark from Clinton, regarding Bush, he said that he couldn't understand quite why people got so upset about what Bush was doing- He said if you review his statements prior to election, he is pretty much doing exactly what he says he was going to do.

My point here is that Kerry dosen't seem to get his message out, that there is a coherent plan. I'm willing to admit what I see from here. However, I do know what Bush will do, based on his records, and his statements.

Door number One, or the parting prize... I'ld rather take my chances with a Democratic President and a Republican House, with a majority Republican Supreme Court (that is slated to have two opening in the next 4-8 years), and all the deadlock and compromise that comes with it, than a Republican Party controlling all branches.

The system works best when we play it against itself. Things change too fast, and get screwy when we break down the fundamental checks and balances (which occurs with the two party system, whereby one party has a majority of the checks and balances).

4 years of Kerry, and he is looking to get reelected. 4 years of Bush, on his last term, with a VP who will not seek the Presidency, means the Texan can basically spit in the house and go for radical change.

#148 2004-07-08 08:58:06

Algol

Ok, ill accept Cobras point that most people use up what time they have ranting about negative things that Bush has done rather than positive things Kerry could do - so lets look at it from the other side (and this is mainly for Cobra who has the right point of view to anwer this question)

What are the positive things that Bush has promised to do that will make him a great president, and what are the negative things that Kerry has done that point to him being a bad president.

#149 2004-07-08 09:06:47

Cobra Commander

*I'll vote for you, Cobra.  Provided you wear the Arn Darvin suit frequently.

Just keep the tribbles away. And the bunnies...  big_smile

Maybe I am too emotional about this issue.  I just don't like where America is right now -- I mean "all around." 

I honestly cannot see Bush and Cheney in office another 4 years.  But I'm not sure Kerry has what it takes either.

::shakes head::

I've never felt so hopeless about my nation.  That's the truth.

Yeah, I hear ya. Had the Democrats chosen a consistent, reasonable candidate they probably would have had this election locked. I might have voted for Lieberman, for example. Ah well, it's all a mess, everyone compromising their principles and little being accomplished.

Hell, I've recently had to accept that I'm holding two parallel sets of political values, one that I'd push for in a completely open enviroment and another that can actually be achieved through the present system. And of course they conflict on a few points...

We're all being infected with vagueness, compromise and inconsistency! Echh, I can almost relate to the primal fuming frustration on the Left.  :rant:

Ah, but then I remember Howard Dean and feel better.  big_smile Yeaahhhhh!

#150 2004-07-08 09:07:22

clark

Bush:
Hydrogen research, AIDS funding for Africa, Vision for Space Exploration, No terroist attack since 9/11 on US soil, expansion of free trade, immigration reform, nuclear propulsion for space, missle defense, modernization of the military, increase funding for community colleges, nation building, never used a veto (which might be considered under the "uniter, not a divider" mantra"), No child left behind (later defunded), expanded use of national parks for recreational vehicles, pushed for expansion of use of nuclear power.

Where does Kerry stand?  big_smile (yeah Cobra, I try to be balanced, but there is a lot of stuff in there that some may take exception too, and some stuff I wish was done differently) Most presidents try to do what they think is best for the country, even if you and I disagree with their choices. I just disagree with too much to find him palatable for another 4 years.

Board footer