New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2004-06-26 15:14:57

Bill White

Re: Can we finish the ISS - using Delta IV Heavy?

Can we finish ISS with a 5 segment (6 segment?) Thiokol SRB mated to a cryogenic 2nd stage and a Delta IV payload fairing?

We would need a payload stabilization module to make sure the payload can station keep and maintain attitude control while in LEO.

An attachment device like Orbital Recoveries intends might work. Attach it to a truss, for example, in Florida and send the truss up with the attachment in place.

Then put an orbiter up and have it use the robotic arm to collect the ISS components.

Install 3 or 4 ISS components per flight and bring back the stabilization modules for re-use.

#27 2004-06-26 15:58:17

smurf975
Website

Just let it burn in the atmosphere. Skylab and MIR told the scientists everything they need to know about long-term human presence in space and zero gravity.

I'm sorry but what the hell is going to come out of ISS that is not already known? How ants multiply in zero gravity?

Waht? Tehr's a preveiw buottn?

#28 2004-06-26 16:13:40

BWhite

Just let it burn in the atmosphere. Skylab and MIR told the scientists everything they need to know about long-term human presence in space and zero gravity.

I'm sorry but what the hell is going to come out of ISS that is not already known? How ants multiply in zero gravity?

OKay, thats one choice.  :;):

Yet Bush & O'Keefe seem determined to finish it. So why not figure out the cheapest way to accomplish that task?

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#29 2004-06-26 16:21:40

smurf975
Website

Yet Bush & O'Keefe seem determined to finish it. So why not figure out the cheapest way to accomplish that task?

Just give the ESA or Russian Space Agency the money that the USA was commited to and let them solve it. You know, buy off your stake in the project.

This way NASA:

1. Can concetrate on what's coming next.
2. Save money by decommisioning the shuttle now.

#30 2004-06-28 16:10:28

TheMadCap
Banned

Just give the ESA or Russian Space Agency the money that the USA was commited to and let them solve it. You know, buy off your stake in the project.

This way NASA:

1. Can concetrate on what's coming next.
2. Save money by decommisioning the shuttle now.

I was wondering the same thing. Why not let the ESA and the Russians finish the acursed thing? They are already the only ones currently sending modules up anyways. BTW, did they ever find that leak? If so, what was causing it?

I personally would love to see those flying disasters turned into diners like the Buran...

#31 2004-06-28 16:53:51

Grypd

We are not only leaking from the ISS now, It seems the american space suits are having real air retention problems too. So we have an aborted space walk.

If ESA was employed to make an improved means to boost cargo's to the ISS it would do it. This is a certainty as ESA has a real respect for the value of the Euro.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#32 2004-06-28 19:52:55

smurf975
Website

This is a certainty as ESA has a real respect for the value of the Euro.

What do you mean with this?

#33 2004-06-29 03:20:17

Grypd

ESA has more or less captured the commercial satelite launching buisness this is not the work of a goverment department it takes a bit of buisness sense.

Actually ESA is independent from europe officially, but like everything only so far. ESA is trying to do what NASA does with a lot less budget and it seems to be suceeding as it is still doing general space research and having a decent rate of launches too.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

Board footer