New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-06-21 04:13:38

Rxke

Re: "Killer app" for Alt.Space industry? - Is this it?

(Not sure if I saw someone else mentioning this or not...)

http://www.canadianarrow.com/spacedivin … pacediving

Ok, 99.9% of the 'normal' people that read this will think: "sheer lunacy," but, OTOH... 99.9% of the 'crazy' skydivers will surely sit up and take notice...

On its own, it probably "does not a viable launch industry make," of course, but it *is* a market. Imagine the (filthy rich) thrill seeker, pondering over buying yet another Ferrari or having a go at this thing... Meanwhile pulverising the current altitude record, so get mentioning in Guinness, to boot!
There could be more than one handful, coming back for more, every year...

#2 2004-06-21 07:24:15

Cobra Commander

Another looney Cobra suggestion from years past vindicated by people more crazy than I.   big_smile 

Hmm, if they can pull it off though, suddenly that space-paratroopers idea has merit... ???  Troops on the ground anywhere on Earth in 90 minutes or less, guaranteed.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#3 2004-06-21 07:56:16

clark

Maybe this can be the alt.space answer to human rated re-entry.

:laugh:

"Ship goes up, but the people come down..."

#4 2004-06-21 15:00:09

Cobra Commander

Actually, I'll go so far as to say this isn't entirely without merit. If the whole crazy space-diving thing works, of course.

Say you launched shuttle-sized payloads with crews who did on-orbit assembly, then space-dived back. All the hardware stays in orbit, so you could get a significant mass of stuff up there fairly quickly. We could build a kickass Mars ark that way.

Gettin' ahead of myself again.  big_smile Damn re-entry heat.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#5 2004-06-21 15:44:06

Rxke

big_smile Laughing myself silly!

Just imagine the guys working up there, forever delaying the job, too scared to finish it, and to go back, 'the rough way...'

"Wait-errr... Ground control, i think that supportbeam really needs to be re-tightened, yes.. ummm... Could take a while, care to send up some more oxy, please?"

#6 2004-06-21 15:48:50

Rxke

Actually, the links are a lot of 'fun' for the thrill-seekers,  http://www.astronautix.com/craftfam/rescue.htm]like this one (Astronautix) quite detailed plans...

#7 2004-06-21 15:52:49

Bill White

Actually, I'll go so far as to say this isn't entirely without merit. If the whole crazy space-diving thing works, of course.

Say you launched shuttle-sized payloads with crews who did on-orbit assembly, then space-dived back. All the hardware stays in orbit, so you could get a significant mass of stuff up there fairly quickly. We could build a kickass Mars ark that way.

Gettin' ahead of myself again.  big_smile Damn re-entry heat.

Actually, Cobra's idea would work great with a Soyuz descent module.

Skip the orbital module and the service module just send up the DM (or 2) with a really, really big tether terminator. Bring 24 hours of oxygen and water and a few high calorie energy bars for the DM ride.

:;):

Do your on-orbit assembly and return in a tiny Soyuz DM.

Board footer