New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-06-15 20:30:30

SBird
Banned

Re: Egads, a telescope!

Hey everybody, I've been moving so things have been a bit too hectic to keep up here as of late.  I'll probably be back in a greater capacity in a couple, few weeks.  However, I just got a rather interesting E-mail today that I thought that I'd share:

Several weeks ago, I was playing http://hubblesite.org/fun_.and._games/way_out/]this online game at http://www.hubblesite.org]www.hubblesite.org.  It's suprisingly entertaining.  They mentioned something about a prize giveaway raffle you could enter by scoring well.  I figured I'd give it a go and didn't think much about it after that.

Well, today, I get an E-mail telling me that I've just won the grand prize which includes lots of big (16x20 inch) Hubble photos and various paraphenalia which is pretty damn cool.

Oh, yeah, and they're sending me an 8 inch Newtownian reflector telescope too.

Egads, indeed!  I haven't owned a telescope since I was 8.  Although I love astronomy, I haven't tried my hand at the do-it-yourself aspect since I was a kid.  I think this might motivate my lazy ass out past Seattle city limits to do some serious skygazing.

Since I'm completely clueless about telescopes, does anyone have any idea how much one of these runs, generally?  (I don't know what make or model of telescope it is yet)

#2 2004-06-15 21:04:23

Palomar

Re: Egads, a telescope!

Well, today, I get an E-mail telling me that I've just won the grand prize which includes lots of big (16x20 inch) Hubble photos and various paraphenalia which is pretty damn cool.

Oh, yeah, and they're sending me an 8 inch Newtownian reflector telescope too.

Since I'm completely clueless about telescopes, does anyone have any idea how much one of these runs, generally?  (I don't know what make or model of telescope it is yet

*Congratulations and welcome back.  smile

http://www.telescope.com]This link may assist you in figuring out the value of the 'scope you've won. 

Value also depends on what sort of mount (equatorial or azimuth) it rests on, if drives (right ascension and declination) are included in the package, how many accessories (eyepieces) are thrown in etc., etc.

Have fun!  I'm turning a mild shade of green (with envy)!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer