New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-07-29 13:59:52

nirgal
Banned

Re: Boeing, LM engaged in antigravity research - Your thoughts?

Link to the article in JDW. If the effect is real this is going to change the world.

#2 2002-07-29 14:36:49

Mark S
Banned

Right now it sounds too good to be true, but I'm still hopeful that something will result from this research.

There are a number of means that have been suggested for manipulating gravity.  Einstein's withdrawn "Unified Field Theory" supposedly provided the secrets for doing so.  There is also the controversial "Townsend-Brown Effect," which was demonstrated by small, electrified "flying saucers" during one experiment during the 1950s.

"I'm not much of a 'hands-on' evil scientist."--Dr. Evil, "Goldmember"

#3 2002-07-29 15:11:56

nirgal
Banned

Actually it's called the Biefeld-Brown effect because T.T. brown worked together with one Paul Biefeld on this in his early years. wink  However, I don't think that this effect has something to do with gravity modification. It creates some kind of propulsive force without expelling propellant, yes, but it doesn't really alter the strengh of earth's gravitational pull. Podkletnov's devices are different in that they actually seem to do just that. Some japanese company has claimed that they have successfully reproduced Podkletnov's results and that they have achieved weight losses of up to 8%.
Podkletnov continues his research and has come up with a 'gravity generator' last year (it gets also mentioned in the article) which does not only shield objects from earth's pull but does excert some gravitational-like force on them. Well, at least that's what Podkletnov says he's doing. smile

#4 2002-07-30 21:19:48

Phobos

It'll be amazing if they can actually get such "gravity beams" to become viable, but it figures that they'd naturally think about making a weapon out of it.  God, can you imagine having a 1000g of pressure aimed at you?  Well I guess on the upside it's likely to get a lot more funding if it can be used to kill people.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#5 2002-07-31 01:31:56

Shaun Barrett

I notice the JDW article says NASA is about to begin experiments with Podkletnov's apparatus.
   Those of you who have been humouring me by reading what I submitted elsewhere in New Mars under the title of "Gravito-Magnetic" propulsion, will remember that NASA has had that device since January!
They're not supposed to be: "thinking-about-working-towards-maybe-beginning-the-process-of-initiating-a-prelimina
ry-lead-up-to-the-eventual-commencement-of-pre-experimental-trials"!!!!
   They're supposed to be PUBLISHING THE RESULTS ... ABOUT NOW!!
   What is going on here?!!!
   Don't tell me we're getting the runaround on this because of some damnable "matter of national security" bulls**t!! Can you just imagine it? The world could be deprived of probably the most exciting advance in technology since Prometheus tossed us a box of matches, just because the NSA or some other group of bed-wetting, anally-retentive paranoiacs wants to use it to make secret weapons!!
   Does anyone out there have access to Ron Koczor at NASA?
If so, could you please ask him what in blue blazes he's playing at?!
                                           :angry:

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2002-07-31 15:45:19

nirgal
Banned

Shaun Barrett

From another article by Nick Cook:
"In 1999, Nasa paid $600,000 to Superconductive Components of Columbus, Ohio, to construct discs like the ones Mr Podkletnov had been using and the Russian was hired as a consultant.

The experiment has been delayed but Ron Koczor, who heads the effort at Nasa Marshall, is confident that it will take place by the end of this year."

Seems as if we have to wait another six months or even longer to get an answer...

sad

#7 2002-07-31 19:53:10

C M Edwards

I am not disturbed in the slightest that results from this have not come in exactly on the appointed hour of the appointed day. 

If the expected result is small enough, and the researchers conscientious enough to keep trying, it can take almost that long to go through enough different variations to determine _that you are not observing anything at all._  If the apparatus has to be rebuilt for significant readjustments (a distinct possibility), every time you tweak a variable could delay you for weeks.  Even if there is something to see, you might be months working on the optimum method of reproducing that. 

The fact that they've asked for an extension to the end of the year does suggest hope.  If there was absolutely _nothing_, not even background disturbances to sort out, they should have a null result by now and have everything they need to make an announcement today.  However, if drawing out the grant money to the last cent is as important as results, that's a big incentive to extend the experiment to the end of the year, regardless of its result.  I consider both scenarios equally likely at this point.  It's just a question of what their priorities are.

CME

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#8 2002-07-31 21:59:12

Phobos

Don't tell me we're getting the runaround on this because of some damnable "matter of national security" bulls**t!! Can you just imagine it? The world could be deprived of probably the most exciting advance in technology since Prometheus tossed us a box of matches, just because the NSA or some other group of bed-wetting, anally-retentive paranoiacs wants to use it to make secret weapons!!

I'm surprised that anything of this discovery has been mentioned at all considering the technology it could be molded into if the affect is real.  A technology like this would be of way greater significance as a weapon than say stealth technology and we know how long it took the government to officially spill the beans on that.  In any case I hope that Pod. has discovered a genuine method of modifying gravity.

#9 2002-07-31 22:49:57

Shaun Barrett

O.K. ... O.K. .... I'm alright now! Back on the medication and everything's fine!
   But I've put a layer of Alfoil on my metal helmet, just in case. You can't be too careful!
                                           wink

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#10 2002-08-01 11:36:23

C M Edwards

I'm afraid it may take a little more than lining your cap with gum wrappers.

http://space.com/busines....31.html

It turns out the reason there have been no research results is that there is no research.

CME :angry:

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#11 2002-08-01 13:29:21

nirgal
Banned

Well, although Boeing hasn't begun testing actual hardware (yet) they're interested in Podkletnov's experiments. So are LM and BAE Systems. And if you ask me: If the head of the Phantom works says he thinks there is something into it I find this more convincing than the downplaying of the whole thing by some PR manager.

#12 2002-08-03 23:06:54

Phobos

Podkletnov apparently repelled an object nearly a kilometer with his gravity modifying device.  I wonder if such a device requires the presence of a strong gravity field to work or if it can actually be used in empty space to produce a gravity field on a ship.  If it could theoretically produce thousands of G's of gravity in a beam on Earth, then perhaps it could "magnify" the very very minute amount of gravity that would be present in a ship to Earth levels?

#13 2002-08-04 03:15:04

Josh Cryer

Hey, I know this is slightly off the current topic, but while I was searching for Podkletnov, I found this page discussing something called ?Mach's Principle.? It seems quite geniune, at least, the logic is sound... Podkletnov's device, however, is fake, from all the reports I've seen.

Check this site out: http://www.inetarena.com/~noetic/pls/gravity.html

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#14 2002-08-04 06:21:00

Josh Cryer

Ahh, I know I'm sort of not on topic, but this is interesting stuff! Apparently the Woodward Effect (Mach's Principle) is being studied by NASA. I found a really interesting PDF here... http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/pdf/Cramer-JPC.pdf (direct PDF link).

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

Board footer