New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2002-01-27 12:05:32

HeloTeacher

Re: Entrepreneurs First

Reposted from another topic:

---------------------------------------------------------Back a few posts someone said something about why people would go to mars.  Some of the headings seemed odd to me, especially the idea that pioneers would be few and far between.

I see a pioneer as the first martian.  Here's how.

I come up (personally or by contracting) w/ a Mars one-way plan.  I'm going to take with me hydroponics gear, seed-stock, a power plant, the essentials of a chemical plant and a machine shop.  Add in a vehicle or two and LOTS of spares.

I purchase a commercial launch spot and off I go.

On arrival I set up shop, start processing CH4 and O2 and others.  I get the hydroponics going, and cannibalize my ship in doing it.

When the scientists or engineers or astronauts or religious refugees or whoever shows up I have goods to "sell" them.  A barter system to a point I imagine.

How did I pay for all this?  My sponsor is Texaco (for instance) or CNN or somebody.  They get to put their name on what I do, and take a cut of the money I make.  Their part was initial cash and support and access to what I learn and produce (material, samples, and information<read publicity>).

Why would NASA or anyone buy from me?  Because it's cheaper than re-inventing the wheel.  It reduces risk to use what is already available.

I could even get the ball rolling by sending back small sample return packets, at cost plus a little mark-up, to NASA or a university or the ESA, anyone really.

Is it risky? Yep.  Would I still do it? Yep.  Would I try to mitigate risk? Yep.  Would I have to justify it to Congress or the Kremlin or a commitee of hundreds? Nope.

How did I manage this?

I look at the plans like Mars direct, and I take away:

I take away the extra people (I work better alone anyway).
I take away the return hardware (I'm here to live not visit).
I use low-tech and interchangable hardware (obvious).
I accept the risk that if I don't grow food I die.
I accept the risk that if no-one shows up I'll be lonely.
I'm motivated to build a home, not a base or a station or an outpost or a research facility.

Maybe if I'm lucky some-one would even want to come stay with me eventually, once I work the bugs out.

How does this relate to terraforming you ask?

A pioneer engineers his environment to help him as much as possible.  Breeding life that can live outside of greenhouses and pressure vessels is good sense.  Getting the hydrosphere going is good sense.

My message to the scientists would be simple:  If you want to see Mars before it changes too much, you better be first in line to take advantage of Hotel Elysium and Texaco station just past the 3rd crater on the left.  If you ask nice I'll even cater the first inter-planetary geology seminar.

I'm open to comments, criticisms, etc.  But it seems to me this is what will eventually happen.
----------------------------------------------------------

Please stay civil guys.':D'
big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

"only with the freedom to [b]dream[/b], to [b]create[/b], and to [b]risk[/b], man has been able to climb out of the cave and reach for the stars"
  --Igor Sikorsky, aviation pioneer

#2 2002-01-28 13:42:03

RobS
Banned
Website

I am intrigued by the idea of a one-person, one-way shot to Mars. I personally would suggest you at least have ONE person with you so that someone can help you when you get a toothache (anyone who has seen the recent movie where Tom Hanks gets stranded on an island for a few years will know what I mean).

I don?t think this project could be done cheaply any time soon. Maybe the baseline vehicle needed could be constructed from the Earth Return Vehicle in Mars Direct (The Case for Mars, page 93). The ERV there is described as follows:

Cabin structure

Last edited by tahanson43206 (2021-12-02 09:36:17)

#3 2004-03-26 04:42:02

MarsDog

Good summary of basic Mars needs.
-
Do a trial run first; a single person version of Devon Island.
If things broke down, the Eskimos could rescue you.
smile

Board footer