New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-30 07:09:14

ManforMars
Banned

Re: ManforMars - A Mars wagon train

IM new here  and have not had time to read any topics  SORRY
but after watching the success of the mars rovers. I had what Ibelieve is an important idea. dont sit in one place Explore!!!! move around and see new things

I believe that the biggest danger to Mars exploring is pubic bordom. Once we get to Mars I believe it is important to have a way of moving the station to see new places while they are there. A mars wagon train. I love Mars direct  but feel this is one very important element that needs to be added to keep the public interested with whats going on there. And moving everything is safer than  driving far in a mars rover that could break down. Perhaps the rover should be the engine that pulls the hab and return vehicle.

Please send feed back  and if you agree spread the idea around. I think it could mean the differece of a long successful Mars colony and another apollo program.

#2 2004-05-30 07:45:20

DERF

So basically what you are proposing is say, Mars Direct, with wheels and a strong rover that can pull it? I like it in principle.

One problem I see is that the Hab may require a lot of beefing up, with shocks and sheer structure, particularily if the terrain is rocky.

Otherwise, why don't we just land a HUGE rover that also happens to be a hab instead of a rover/hab combo? More simplicity, oui? Unless you want to have autonomy for exploration while people stay in the Hab. Well now I am just thinking out loud.

So, major obstacle: weight

#3 2004-05-30 08:27:41

Cobra Commander

The problem I see with this proposal is that it focuses on public relations over science or colony preparation. Symbolism over substance. Viewers won't get bored with a hab trundling across Mars new landscapes, but what will they really accomplish aside from a Martian tour?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2004-06-04 10:43:13

rstones8
Banned

I think watching a Martian base operate and grow will be exciting enough for the general public. And long rover outings will be just as interesting as if the entire base were mobile. Plus, I think if we're on Mars the hard part of public relations is behind us. If enough support has been sustained to get us there, it shouldnt be hard keeping public interest long as there are always new things to do and new places to explore. Part of the reason the moon got so boring is that it doesnt have a canyon the size of the US or the tallest mountain in the solar system. People will want to see someone cross that canyon and climb that mountain.

"here are we, on this starry night staring into space, and I must say, I feel as small as dust, lying down here"-dmb

#5 2004-06-04 11:30:54

ManforMars
Banned

Well I know that for me, the space station never gets me to watch or care. and i know that a mars station could get as dull as that if not for new things to discover. I know that the rovers now dont get me to look every day now that theyre slowing down( why one tool wasnt a dust blower NASA only knows, they told me to costly???) and what holds my interest is seeing something new. Zubin likes to think of mars trip as early newworld. YES to travel along with Lewis and Clark would be more interesting than just setting around the mars base watching the veggies grow. (you guys follow Mars soeity mars bases much??? not me ZZZZ) I worry about reason for going to mars, to look for life doesnt really do it for me.  If we find life we should leave. Only real reason is to go to mars is to try to save man kind should a astroid hit earth. And of course to explore  and understand, which that info needs to be fed back to the funders  if the money is to flow. so really in large part its not about the science and it is about a show for us. Nasa has been playing the science card to long, like saying we need a Space station to study   humans in weightlessness  BULL CRAP learned long ago human dont like weightlessness  spin that space ship  lol.  So look at that mars Lewis and Clark idea again  all early stations dont have to move but would get better ratings if some do, say travel up  Olympus mons to the crater  almost there tune in next week  or across that wonderful valley

SHOW TIME  LOL

Board footer