New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-30 18:31:00

ERRORIST

Re: Are these springs flowing from Endurance crater?

Enlarge this image,and look near the bedrock on the right side. It looks like numerous springs can be flowing from time to time.Any thoughts?

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/ … ...1M1.JPG

#2 2004-05-04 08:58:47

Ian Flint
Banned

I don't see what you mean.

#3 2004-05-04 09:02:09

ERRORIST

Under the bedrock outcropping on the right side you can see flow lines or gullies.

#4 2004-05-04 09:07:01

Palomar

*Darker-colored patches of sand, my guess. 

Ooooo...those little (?) gentle depressions in the ground here and there are groovy.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2004-05-04 19:28:57

Shaun Barrett

How about small, slow-moving, underground streams of brine gradually dissolving the sedimentary layers and causing subsidence, as the explanation for the gentle depressions?  ???

Just another 2 cents worth from a man unburdened by years of dreary geology lectures and thus free to make wild guesses about things he doesn't understand!   :laugh:

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2004-05-04 19:46:39

ERRORIST

Sounds like a very good explanation. The depressions look like sink holes starting to form.

Board footer