New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-03 14:38:02

cassioli

Re: From Fram to Endurance animation

I'm bored by waiting for non-arriving new images roll, so I did a little (er... "little"... 3.4 MB...) new animation using old navcam images...

http://jumpjack.altervista.org/immagini … nce-NAVCAM

Have a good travel! smile

Luca

#2 2004-05-03 22:24:36

Stu
Website

Oh come on Cass, how can you possibly be bored when there are so many STUNNING pictures of the sundial and the Sun coming in every day..? I mean, who wants to see sweeping, John Ford-esque martian landscape colour panoramas or close-ups of beautifully wind-etched boulders, curving dust dunes and geological details on hillsides and crater walls when you can marvel at a dozen new images revealing the subtle play of martian sunlight on a 3" high nub of plastic?

Love your work, by the way  smile

Stuart Atkinson

Skywatching Blog: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cumbrian-Sky[/url]

Astronomical poetry, including mars rover poems: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/TheVerse[/url]

#3 2004-05-03 22:54:52

Rxke

link says: 'cannot find page' sad

#4 2004-05-04 01:35:47

cassioli

link says: 'cannot find page' sad

For some strange reasons, if I overwrite an existing file in my webspace (I did it to upload an optimized version of the animation), the file becomes no more available. :rant:
I discovered it just now, but now I am at work, and the original animation file is at home, so you'll have to wait till 16:00 GMT to have the animation available again.  sad

Sorry for the incoveneince.

Luca

#5 2004-05-04 06:21:34

Shaun Barrett

I have to admit, Stu, I could probably manage with less of the sundial and more of the terrain.
    Nice irony ... thanks!    big_smile

By the way, I still can't fathom the lack of commentary from JPL on some of the enigmatic features we've been seeing. Even a swift, boring, down-to-Earth(Mars) explanation would at least help us to stop imagining all sorts of things!   tongue   :laugh:

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2004-05-04 07:38:07

rgcarnes
Banned

Shaun,

I suspect that the answer to your question about why we haven't heard from JPL regarding some of our probes' recent observations is that the obvious explanations are at odds with their accepted models. 

How do they gracefully adapt to that?

Rex G. Carnes

If the Meek Inherit the Earth, Where Do All the Bold Go?

#7 2004-05-04 07:53:06

Shaun Barrett

Hmmm.
    Yeah, Rex. I suppose if that really is a small patch of water/brine, or even ice, they'd have to re-write quite a bit of stuff about Mars. And start looking more seriously at some of the images you've drawn to our attention in the past. (And maybe let poor old Dr. Gil Levin back into the fold as well! )
                                                         smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#8 2004-05-04 12:03:19

cassioli

The animation should be working, now.

Luca

Board footer