New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-19 16:55:51

The Fed Man
Banned

Re: should we or shouldn't we? - Are you for or against Terraforming?

I'm trying this poll on several different Mars sites to see what the percentages are.

#2 2004-04-19 17:10:04

clark

Make her blue!  big_smile

#3 2004-04-19 23:51:31

rstones8
Banned

I'm all for terraforming. If we wait until every inch of Mars is put under a microscope, valuble time will be lost on a project that is sure to take quite awhile. Some say we have no experience in such a venture, but as the process goes on for centuries I'm sure we will get better at it.

I'd be interested to hear what the percentages were on the other sites you polled.

"here are we, on this starry night staring into space, and I must say, I feel as small as dust, lying down here"-dmb

#4 2004-04-20 08:01:20

kippy
Banned

I think the info you're looking for is [http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=311]here.

I think most people will be for it in some way.  The interesting question is when and to what extent.

"Yes", "No" and "just a little" might not be finely grained enough answers.

#5 2004-04-20 17:04:17

The Fed Man
Banned

Thanks kippy. Your link was much better. Maybe I should try that one on different sites.

#6 2004-04-21 08:25:42

Byron

Make her blue!  big_smile

Yeah, I agree!  big_smile   

After all, if we go to Mars, it will then belong to the human race, and we'd be doing ourselves a disservice not to try to Mars into a new Earth...to me, life is immeasurably preferable to lifeless deserts...and yeah, I want to see world-girdling oceans on Mars, vast tall-treed forests, endless waving fields of wheat and corn and the marvelous tapestry of weather and the creation of a whole new biosphere...who says that Earth has to be the only basket of life in the Solar System??  If Mars can't ever be terraformed, I think I'll just stay put in my little corner of Paradise, thank you very much...lol.

Now, more than ever, if we have the means and will, I say we go all the way...from Red Mars to Blue Mars... smile

#7 2004-04-21 08:37:43

REB
Banned
Website

Humans should terraform Mars. We should spread life to dead worlds.

Mars should be studied first, and then terraformed.

If there are native microbes, that are not related to Earth microbes (There is a chance impactors could have send microbes from Earth to Mars and Mars to Earth), they should be studies and preserved in some Microbe Mars Zoo, before Mars is terraformed. If there are any Martian Microbes, they have not evolved much and are unlikely to before the Sun dies in 4 million years. They should not hamper human terraformation of Mars.

Many of our landers are located in areas that would be flooded by terraforming. I am sure they will be moved and put in Mars museums before terraformation.

As humans spread out into the galaxy, we will rarly find Class M (Teasing Star Trek) worlds we can live on with no terraforming. Most world will need some kind of terraforming. What we learn terraforming Mars and Venus will help us terraform worlds we find around other stars.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#8 2004-04-21 14:59:43

MarsDog

It will happen bit by bit, one crater, one greenhouse, one small comet at a time; without complete disruption.
-
One inch at a time to travel, quickest, the mile.
-
Larger plans just take take too long.

Board footer