New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-04-21 06:15:08

GraemeSkinner
Website

Re: Giant Spiders - Real or Science Fiction?

Received a link today, regarding giant spiders found in Iraq [http://www.abc.net.au/sydney/stories/s1090143.htm]Article Link

They look more like something from science fiction or maybe one of Shelob's offspring from Lord of the Rings. You'd have thought if they were real we'd have heard about them by now. I know that new species are still being discovered today perhaps not at the same rate as they once were but surely something of this size would have been noticed by now. Just imagine if something like this had been discovered on Mars - would you still want to go?

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#2 2004-04-21 06:40:39

Palomar

Received a link today, regarding giant spiders found in Iraq [http://www.abc.net.au/sydney/stories/s1090143.htm]Article Link

They look more like something from science fiction or maybe one of Shelob's offspring from Lord of the Rings. You'd have thought if they were real we'd have heard about them by now. I know that new species are still being discovered today perhaps not at the same rate as they once were but surely something of this size would have been noticed by now. Just imagine if something like this had been discovered on Mars - would you still want to go?

Graeme

*Oh god.  sad  ::shivers::  Um...well, I guess if something like this were on Mars I'd still go, since they're already -here-. 

Amazing critters, huh?  sad  The only spider I ever liked was Charlotte. 

I wonder if this species of spider spins webs? 

If one of those crawled on me (or even "just" a tarantula for that matter), I can imagine how high and loud I could scream.  :-\ 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-04-21 07:02:29

TJohn
Banned

I saw those pictures of the camel spiders.  I read on snopes.com that it was a hoax.  They don't get that big.

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#4 2004-04-21 07:08:57

GraemeSkinner
Website

The person that sent me the link originally suggested it could be the camera angle that made them look so big, the largest recorded spider I know of had a leg span of 25cm. Thats big enough to make me want to run away from it.

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#5 2004-04-21 07:13:29

GraemeSkinner
Website

Found [http://www.gophergas.com/funstuff/camelspider.htm]this link which explains it a bit better than the original article I saw - what a relief the spiders are only as big as a hand!

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#6 2004-04-21 17:36:58

bolbuyk

Still big enough, to me. sad

#7 2004-04-22 02:18:49

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#8 2004-04-22 06:08:14

Palomar

Yikes! The Camel spider: one of the most dreaded vermin of that part of the world. I don't think they are true spiders, but look a lot like them, and the part about the novicaine venom and nocturnal chewing is true, warnings about them are part of military training in that region.

*Wow.  And to think I was very skeptical about that portion of the story.  ::shudders::  sad

I know an archeologist who was looking for ruins in Saudi, he told me one night one of his team's local guides had about a quarter of his face chewed off -- nose, lips, cheek and chin -- down to the bone.

*Thanks for the warning.  If I'm ever in the region, I'm sleeping in body armour from head to toe. 

*Cindy -- If those groati things are on Mars, I'm taking a pair of Paul Bunyon sized boots! SQUISH!

*Walk softly and carry a big BIG can of "Black Flag."  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer